The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign F Zack MacEwen [3 year ELC]

7 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

It's a standard 3 year ELC, which obviously won't kick in until he plays a pro game.

NHL Minimum salary is $525,000

AHL salary will be between $35,000 - $70,000

There's not much else to it with a fringe player. Highly regarded players get bonus clauses etc. but that's not going to apply here.

I suspect we'll see a signing bonus, maybe some very modest performance bonuses, and a salary somewhere near in the middle of the ELC range (see my post earlier).

This is my best guess based on what JB has given his other undrafted CHL free agent signings (like Carcone and Sautner).

And also the fact that there were a handful of teams (Toronto, Ottawa, TBay, Anaheim) interested in signing MacEwen.

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And aside from Virtanen, Dorsett, and Cramarossa, these boys are huge!

Technically speaking, Virtanen is the 2nd biggest after Tram because he is like 220-235. 

Anyway, feels like a Grenier 2.0 signing. 

1 hour ago, RRypien37 said:

Technically speaking, Virtanen is the 2nd biggest after Tram because he is like 220-235. 

Or Alex Mallet 2.0.

Nothing wrong with a "free" prospect, though.  I'm all for the Canucks taking a flyer on these UFAs...hope he turns out to be more of a Burrows-type signing vs. a Dane Fox signing.

I got to say right now it seems like this is a bit of a waste of a contract spot that they might want to use on Boeser, Gaudette, maybe a couple of their CHL prospects, and a few college free agents at the end of the year. I believe this pushes them up to 46/50. Would've been wiser to sign him to an AHL deal rather than an ELC, but I guess other teams were interested, so it must've been an NHL contract or no signing.

Could be decent, more likely a career AHL'er. Not an awful signing, but I really hope we don't miss out on some higher potential free agent at the end of the year due to a lack of contract spots.

2 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Virtanen is nowhere near that weight now. 215 the last I heard. Bo is actually heavier than Jake. 

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Starting to realize who was the "real" architect of those Bruins Teams..

Definitely not Sweeney.

Like that JB is stacking some bigger bodies,. Too bad Willie doesn't know how to play them. 

Willie won't be here past this season. 

15 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Willie won't be here past this season. 

I think signing these bigger bodies guarantees it Phil...  there is an art to war...  and Desjardins does not display tactics in his deployment of personnel.  

Not even in checking assignments, the simple way Babcock has put Kadri's career on track.

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Wow, he's actually got really good hands and speed. Not a bad pickup.

(credit to ihaveyuidonttouchme)

... that's a kid with a full tool box, big body he uses to protect and check, great balance and speed for his size, good release and shot, not afraid to just shoot.. good puck skills.

Im looking forward to pre-season 2018 already!!  In the very least, 4 months with Travis Green will have this young man putting others on the waiver wire.

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I suspect we'll see a signing bonus, maybe some very modest performance bonuses, and a salary somewhere near in the middle of the ELC range (see my post earlier).

This is my best guess based on what JB has given his other undrafted CHL free agent signings (like Carcone and Sautner).

And also the fact that there were a handful of teams (Toronto, Ottawa, TBay, Anaheim) interested in signing MacEwen.

Maybe a fully restored 1973 El Camino, with a mini bar in the glove box? 

ps. wth is wrong with this site and uploading images? sometimes it works fine other times you're sitting there with a handful of your hair. So BUDGET :rolleyes:

LMAO @ all the "expert bloggers" out there who immediately jump all over this signing as being worthless, yet spend all damn day wracking their brains over analytics and formulating charts to prove it.

Well.... is the guy worth your time, or not?
Losers. 

:rolleyes:

13 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

LMAO @ all the "expert bloggers" out there who immediately jump all over this signing as being worthless, yet spend all damn day wracking their brains over analytics and formulating charts to prove it.

Well.... is the guy worth your time, or not?
Losers. 

:rolleyes:

+2 

17 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

Maybe a fully restored 1973 El Camino, with a mini bar in the glove box? 

Didn't Stan Smyl get the mini bar glove box in his Mustang? .. or was that Linden? 

... the 73 El Camino is worth 80-100k ,.even at the AHL level.

31 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Source being?

Travis Green said it himself in an interview. Too lazy to find the tweets and it's somewhere in the Virtanen's talk thread but it's been more than a month since it was posted.

Archived