The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Edler to be traded at the draft?

1 hour ago, missioncanucksfan said:

after seeing the returns on Burrows and Hansen, I'm having to be curious as to what D prospect Edler could bring back. We all mocked and rolled our eyes leading up to the draft but I promise that nobody put a thought to Dahlen or Goldobin and yet now both are already shiny new toys.

Love to see Edler go for a nice new bobble.  Maybe it's Tanev who is traded though?

19 minutes ago, DinoTambo said:

If the Twins are still here in 2020, the Canucks are in trouble. 

How so? That's when I think they are most competitive. Sedins at let's say 4M a piece playing against weaker defenceman and still making beauty passes, yeah I like that thought.

2020 roster

Virtanen Horvat Boeser

Goldobin Gaudette Dahlen

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

Granlund Sutter Burrows?

Juolevi Tanev

Tryamkin Stecher 

XXXXX Gudbranson 

Demko

Crawford as head coach

4 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

How so? That's when I think they are most competitive. Sedins at let's say 4M a piece playing against weaker defenceman and still making beauty passes, yeah I like that thought.

2020 roster

Virtanen Horvat Boeser

Goldobin Gaudette Dahlen

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

Granlund Sutter Burrows?

Juolevi Tanev

Tryamkin Stecher 

XXXXX Gudbranson 

Demko

Crawford as head coach

My god, if the Twins are making FOUR MIL EACH on TOP of still being here in 2020, I will be calling for the head of whatever GM signed them to such a ridiculous contract. 

Have you not seen them slowing down before our very eyes?? What makes you think they will be able to still keep up to the pace of this league in 3yrs when they're having big troubles doing so NOW?  If your answer is Jagr, the Twins aren't freaks of nature like 68. 

14 minutes ago, DinoTambo said:

My god, if the Twins are making FOUR MIL EACH on TOP of still being here in 2020, I will be calling for the head of whatever GM signed them to such a ridiculous contract. 

Have you not seen them slowing down before our very eyes?? What makes you think they will be able to still keep up to the pace of this league in 3yrs when they're having big troubles doing so NOW?  If your answer is Jagr, the Twins aren't freaks of nature like 68. 

Even I can see the writing on the wall....as a staunch supporter of the Sedins, this is winding down now.  We can't look to them in the future, our future is in the players sitting around them on the bench.  They have served us well, but it's apparent that the game is too fast for them and even the most brilliant passing (which is not always the case anymore) gets intercepted at times.  The inability to address that is glaring.   And, sadly, teams have them figured out and so they're fairly ineffective now.

Breaks my heart, but that's the reality that I'm seeing and having to accept.   It was sure fun while it lasted.  (Now, granted, many said that about Burr and players can always bounce back.   But, at this point, I think it would be more temporary success than anything sustained).  Burr's just a freak of nature.   I think the change in scenery and having his family there has sparked something in Burr and he's loving the game more than ever.  Not sure the Sedins are....seems, at least at times, that they're increasingly frustrated.

12 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

2020 roster

Virtanen Horvat Boeser

Goldobin Gaudette Dahlen

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

Granlund Sutter Burrows?

Juolevi Tanev

Tryamkin Stecher 

XXXXX Gudbranson 

Demko

Crawford as head coach

No way can Sedins be here past next year. At this point they can be traded tomorrow and still come and get their ceremonies, etc....

Gaudette can spend a year developing his pro game in Utica with Boeser, Dahlen, and the rest of the "next core"

19 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

IMO, Tanev can be packaged with #31 (assuming SJ wins the cup)

For a GOOD young forward.

Galchenyuk

Duchene

Landeskog 

Eriksson-Ek 

Drouin

Just to name a few examples.

Sakic is on record saying he wants a 1st, a great prospect, and young defensman. Landeskog is physical, but has only 4 points (i.e 4 goals) more than underachieving Eriksson. 

You want to give up the farm for a formally concussed forward, who has only 4 more goals than the $6 million dollar man? Drouin makes sense as he has 42 points and 3 years younger than Landeskog. But Yzerman isn't an idiot either and won't trade Tanev 1 for 1 for him. You'd be looking at Virtanen, Hutton, and 1st just to start the conversation.

Let's be patient and draft our own prospects, or find value like Goldy. 

34 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Galchenyuk

Duchene

Landeskog 

Eriksson-Ek 

Drouin

None of those seem remotely realistic. 

29 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Even I can see the writing on the wall....as a staunch supporter of the Sedins, this is winding down now.  We can't look to them in the future, our future is in the players sitting around them on the bench.  They have served us well, but it's apparent that the game is too fast for them and even the most brilliant passing (which is not always the case anymore) gets intercepted at times.  The inability to address that is glaring.   And, sadly, teams have them figured out and so they're fairly ineffective now.

Breaks my heart, but that's the reality that I'm seeing and having to accept.   It was sure fun while it lasted.  (Now, granted, many said that about Burr and players can always bounce back.   But, at this point, I think it would be more temporary success than anything sustained).  Burr's just a freak of nature.   I think the change in scenery and having his family there has sparked something in Burr and he's loving the game more than ever.  Not sure the Sedins are....seems, at least at times, that they're increasingly frustrated.

Very well said. Couldn't agree more.

I love the Twins, I love what they've done for this franchise, but ties have to be cut after next season. Give them the respect they deserve by letting them play out their final year of their deals they earned, but talk to them over this upcoming summer about whether or not they want to chase a Cup somewhere else by waiving their NTCs if the Canucks are sellers again at next year's deadline. If they say no, then let them know they won't be re-signed, let them retire or walk as UFAs, and let's just move on with our rebuild. 

If the organization actually does re-sign them, it has to be at a MAX of 2MIL each on 1yr deals.  And even then I'm still skeptical. It's time to move on from the past and develop much of the Canucks youth at the NHL level. 

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 6:36 PM, Hortankin said:

if we pick 4-7 I can see JB trading that pick and Edler (more if needed) to get NP or Hischier. Its not like they are McDavid level, teams will be willing to trade down. that way we can protect Sbisa and lose absolutely no real key part of our roster to the ED.

teams that win it all typicall has a:

#1 Goalie -Demko

2 very good centers - Horvat/NP or Hischier

Franchise Dman - Juolevi/Tryamkin

PP Dmen - Juolevi/Stecher/Hutton/Subban

Snipers - Boeser/Eriksson/Dahlen/Goldobin/Virtanen

Shutdown Dmen - Tanev/Tryamkin/Gudbranson

Tough Guys - Tryamkin/Gudbranson/Virtanen

looking towards 2020 said players should bee coming along quite nicely and the twins will also be here with us, so we will have great depth for a nice playoff run.

Sedins

Baertschi

Granlund

Sutter

Gaudette

Plenty of potential breakthrough prospects

Benning has a plan and I don't think he will let bad luck with the lottery balls get in his way this year.

I love what you did with your classification system.  Also like your idea about trading up.

Two problems: (1) as Alf says, I'm not sure anyone wants Edler.  (I suspect they have tried to move him the last two summers, probably even willing to keep some salary.) 

The(2)nd problem is the depth for a playoff run.  I think our depth will be bit better than now, but we won't have the Sedins.  The Sedins are done.  I can't see them being willing or able to play beyond next year (2017-2018).  It isn't merely their decline in offense: it's everything else with it -- they can't seem to defend anymore, and their pp time is a waste -- and those nifty tip ins and redirections are harder for them now.  It has been a tough year for fans -- such as myself -- who had come to take the Sedins for granted.  If you look at the Sedins when they are on the bench... they don't look happy anymore, and don't seem to be talking to their mates as much. 

Your main points are good though.

2 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Galchenyuk

Duchene

Landeskog 

Eriksson-Ek 

Drouin

Oh carp, any of those trades would be awesome!

1 hour ago, Tyndall2 said:

Why would any other team want Edler when most of the Canuck fans don't even want him to stick around?

I could easily see teams wanting Edler. But, those teams would be ones that have a clearly established top pairing, and would be able to play Edler in the 2nd pairing. Edler, at 20 minutes/game, is still a pretty good defenseman. He isn't when he is playing 25+ minutes/game. A trade for that level of player would likely be a 1st + pretty good prospect (not top end) or 1st + 3rd, and maybe a depth player for the farm team. The days of getting 2 first rounder picks for Edler are long over.

Having said that, I would still trade Tanev before Edler...IF the trade was this summer, before Tanev's NTC/NMC clause kicks in.

3 hours ago, DinoTambo said:

I can honestly see them signing dirt cheap just to stay here but I put 4M to save the criticism. . 2-3M is my guess and 40-50pt 3rd liners is hard to come by

3 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Galchenyuk

Duchene

Landeskog 

Eriksson-Ek 

Drouin

None of those examples are realistic though.

McKenzie is adamant that Drouin is untouchable.

He made similar comments on the Wild young players such as Eriksson Ek, Kunin, Greenway, etc.  Chayka actually got some heat because he was unable to pry one away for Hanzal and instead had to settle for draft picks despite knowing how keen the Wild were to get a C for the playoffs.  Also they have an excess of Ds: Suter, Spurgeon, Brodin, Dumba, Scandella etc.  It's not a logical trade for them at all.  

If Landeskog or Duchene was only worth the equivalent of Tanev and a 1st - the trades would have happened long ago.  Sakic is looking for a D much younger than Tanev.  He is looking for someone in the same age range as Jost, Rantanen and MacKinnon to form their new core, as well as a young roster player and a 1st round pick.  They aren't trying to be competitive now - they are basically starting from scratch. 

7 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Very well said.  They've been so so so good for us but their time is done.  I hope next year is their last in the NHL.  Time to give the top minutes to our future captain Bo Horvat.

Archived