The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Willie D needs to pipe down.

Shirotashi

36 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Henrik Sedin should step up and throw down with Marchand, it's what a captain has to do ,same weight class at least.

If one of the Sedins ever threw down with one of their tormentors, it would inspire the  team to incredible new heights.

But nope, that's never gonna happen. Who cares if it's for the betterment of the team? It's not in their DNA.

Compare and contrast this with Malkin.

Fighting when he knows he's gonna lose.

The pat on the back from Wheeler said it all. 

That's why Pittsburgh is in the conversation for lord Stanley's mug.

3 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Sounds to me like the guys in the white coats are on their way for our Willie.

Good coaches don't use the media to call  players out. They do it one on one with the player or they let "the room" take care of it.

Selectively calling out only certain players publicly, when it's really obvious that other players get a pass, only riles up the geniuses among the fan base who pay the bills by going to games, buying merchandise, watching games on tv etc.

Willie is compromising the brand by doing this. 

If he has to publicly send messages to fan favourites like Tram, then he is admitting his own failures.

Hoping to get fired sooner than later so that he can land another job.

My big issue is that this isn't a "call-out."  Botch, who got the quote, has the same opinion.  

Its an honest comment about Tryamkin - he's improved a lot, but there's more there to give.  There absolutely is.  That's what we love about him.  

Would you be offended if your coach implied you could win games with your physicality?  I sure wouldn't.  I'd be saving that one for my next contract negotiation.  

This is another good one from this pre season.  Love the way he talks to the players. Good too see some on the bench passion.

Good one on Olli Juolevii too :D  Has Greener talking about him.  The host of the vid also said he is a safe player at the pick. Reminds me of Bo when we took him over the flashy Nishuchskin (god his name is hard lol)

10 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Why doesn't he try to get through to the vets?

22 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I don't know, he seemed annoyed having to talk about Boucher WD and definitely focused on the negative while downplaying the positives.

Sounds like half the people on this thread ...:shock::towel:

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

My big issue is that this isn't a "call-out."  Botch, who got the quote, has the same opinion.  

Its an honest comment about Tryamkin - he's improved a lot, but there's more there to give.  There absolutely is.  That's what we love about him.  

Would you be offended if your coach implied you could win games with your physicality?  I sure wouldn't.  I'd be saving that one for my next contract negotiation.  

We agree on just about everything here and I knew that we would.

I was driving home today and I heard these remarks. The ideas are good.

I just was struck by the inconsistency of it all.

I've yet to hear Willie publicly state that a Sedin lazy stick to an opponent's glove penalty with  4 minutes left to play was the reason we lost.

Since it keeps happening, isn't it time to publicly call them out?

if Willie had a beef about Tram after the Bruins game, why not deal with it at the time?

Sounds to me like you were or still are a coach.  I'd bet that you treated your athletes with respect and dealt with them one on one.

WD is unfortunately getting sucked in by the media. Ben Kuzma was pretty clear in expressing his position that WD was out of line in his comments about Tryamkin today.

Willie is an idiot, if he had gone after Rat Marchand he would have had to deal with Chara, McQuaid and K.Miller all night. And if he declines, those guys will go after our marshmallow soft players and guess who gets the blame for it.

If this lineup had Pedan, Dorsett and Gudbranson were in the lineup and Tryamkin didn't play physical enough then yeah maybe he has a point there, but he literally has no back up if $&!# goes down lol. 

17 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

This is what I took from the comment as well. Tryamkin should take it as a compliment not as a dig. WD was basically saying that Tryamkin has the ability to be a difference maker, he just needs to keep learning how to do that and that playing physical is a big part of that.

4 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

Willie is an idiot, if he had gone after Rat Marchand he would have had to deal with Chara, McQuaid and K.Miller all night. And if he declines, those guys will go after our marshmallow soft players and guess who gets the blame for it.

If this lineup had Pedan, Dorsett and Gudbranson were in the lineup and Tryamkin didn't play physical enough then yeah maybe he has a point there, but he literally has no back up if $&!# goes down lol. 

+1!

1 minute ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

This is what I took from the comment as well. Tryamkin should take it as a compliment not as a dig. WD was basically saying that Tryamkin has the ability to be a difference maker, he just needs to keep learning how to do that and that playing physical is a big part of that.

Desjardins said this about Nik , 2 games after returning from the mumps for 2-3 weeks.

https://www.nhl.com/video/c-50464703

48 minutes ago, hearditall said:

I thought it was ALL about the Prospects Now. Who cares what WD does with the Vets. Why would U want him to ask the Vets to step it up NOW? I thought U ALL wanted the Prospects & Young to get those ROLES NOW???

I'm confused cause U guys want it BOTH WAYS???    Kinda like it was then....:blink:

Pick which candy U want & NO U can't have them all, kids...:wacko:

I know it's St. Paddys so I'll try and give you a pass because it sounds like you're hammered, lol

It's about treating everyone fairly.

WD is all about having the kids "earn it"
well....... it also seems that he's of the mindset that the veterans have "earned" the right to play like crap and not be called out for it.

You can't do that because you will alienate your younger players from the very leadership you're depending on to mentor them. I don't care how much a kid "says all the right things" in the media (hello Horvat)
- in private, you know these guys are starting to feel resentment towards said veteran players because they can fill the bed with feces and just call the maid. 

I don't care who says what about whom, but be fair to everyone about it. Playing favourites will always make you look like a beotch. 

49 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

First, Sedin fell on his sword and admitted he's lost games this year.  No need for Willie to pile on. 

Second, Willie hasn't blamed losses on young guys, only said they could play better.  Which is true.  That's what we're all banking on and hoping for isn't it?  It's not about blame - it's about fulfilling your potential.

I feel the the need to repeat that second point: no one has been thrown under the bus.  

Third, Willie also only answers the questions posed to him.  Its not like he's demanding a microphone in his face to get this off his chest.  He's been fair and balanced in his comments about players he's been asked about.  No big surprise that most questions revolve around the young guys.  Nobody wants to read about Alex Edler's game.

Honestly, it sounds like Willie will be gone this offseason.  If it happens it will be due to his special teams and not the way he handles young players.

Not to be a jerk, you have a right to your opinion, but this smells of Lip Service.

Lots of that going on in this market. 

7 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

We agree on just about everything here and I knew that we would.

I was driving home today and I heard these remarks. The ideas are good.

I just was struck by the inconsistency of it all.

I've yet to hear Willie publicly state that a Sedin lazy stick to an opponent's glove penalty with  4 minutes left to play was the reason we lost.

Since it keeps happening, isn't it time to publicly call them out?

if Willie had a beef about Tram after the Bruins game, why not deal with it at the time?

Sounds to me like you were or still are a coach.  I'd bet that you treated your athletes with respect and dealt with them one on one.

WD is unfortunately getting sucked in by the media. Ben Kuzma was pretty clear in expressing his position that WD was out of line in his comments about Tryamkin today.

Yeah, I hear you.  

I also understand why people get bothered when young guys get flack in the media and the vets don't get any.  Again, part of it is that the Sedins went public and admitted they've lost games.  That's no small comment when they're the best all-around Canucks of all time. They're fading, though - calling them out might appease some fans but it isn't going to make them better.  I truly believe, like Burrows, they want what's best for this franchise.  To that end, I don't think it's necessary. I hope the young guys can appreciate that if they hit  anywhere near "Sedin" status they'll be afforded a bit of respect in the same manner as well.

I'm not as sure where Edler stands on all of that.

...and yes, I've coached and I'm not a fan of the public call out.  I think Willie tripped up on the comment - if he said "if Nikita does what he does to Benn more often, we'll win some games" it's a great line.  To connect it to a loss is awkward and invites this criticism.  

But more than anything I think honest intentions can be accepted.  Willie wants to win.  Tryamkin wants to win.  It's Willie's job to push... I think if Willie circles back and gives Nik a pat on the back before next game it's all good.

To clarify I'd be mad if he went on to bench him or if this was a habit in speaking loosely about a particular player.  

I also expect Tryamkin to have himself a game tomorrow night. 

5 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Desjardins said this about Nik , 2 games after returning from the mumps for 2-3 weeks.

I'm starting to wonder if there's something seriously wrong with this guy.

Trank has played with more passion than most of our back end the last few weeks and that's taking into consideration the games don't even matter anymore.

He's the only guy on the whole team out there who's smashing sticks because he's pissed off about how the team is playing. Kissing his cross in the box because he knows he put the team down a man.

He goes out and levels Benn and then fights him...... knowing all this, the coach basically says "well if you did that against so and so maybe we'd win a few more games"

Seriously?

And people who are saying "well WD is only answering questions he's being asked" please! COP OUT

He's a free man capable of saying anything he wants to in a presser. Can you imagine if Torts was coaching us now with the year that the Sedins and Edler are having? 
He would be RIPPING those guys a new a-hole for the constant and lazy brain farts out there.... good grief... some of you have had too much ale this evening 

13 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

I know it's St. Paddys so I'll try and give you a pass because it sounds like you're hammered, lol

It's about treating everyone fairly.

WD is all about having the kids "earn it"
well....... it also seems that he's of the mindset that the veterans have "earned" the right to play like crap and not be called out for it.

You can't do that because you will alienate your younger players from the very leadership you're depending on to mentor them. I don't care how much a kid "says all the right things" in the media (hello Horvat)
- in private, you know these guys are starting to feel resentment towards said veteran players because they can fill the bed with feces and just call the maid. 

I don't care who says what about whom, but be fair to everyone about it. Playing favourites will always make you look like a beotch. 

What veterans?  the only 2 forward vets we have left. at 36 years old... Go blame your dad for not cutting the grass...:wacko:

Hall of Famers who have carried our Team & FRANCHISE for the past 10+ years. Role model Professional athletes at it's finest. 

The 2 best Canucks in HISTORY. Blame those guys.

OK who's drinking here??? 

1 minute ago, hearditall said:

What veterans?  the only 2 forward vet Hall of Famers who have carried our Team & FRANCHISE for the past 10+ years. Role model Professional athletes at it's finest. 

The 2 best Canucks in HISTORY. Blame those guys.

OK who's drinking here??? 

Danny, Hank, and Edler.

Those veterans.

They are still here because management wanted the younger players to learn how to play the "right way"

I'm not slamming them as people, I'm criticizing them as hockey players because this year, all three of them have been awful. 

And if you haven't noticed, then tonight's not the only night you've been too drunk, lol 

15 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

He seemed to compliment Tryamkin and then offer constructive criticism regarding the rookie's game. They are professional athletes...they don't need to be treated with kid gloves. WD may lose his job but I think people are making way too much about these comments.

7 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

Not to be a jerk, you have a right to your opinion, but this smells of Lip Service.

Lots of that going on in this market. 

Really?  I think this comment is being blown out of proportion and given legs by the anti-Willie agenda.  Buoyed by the "Willie hates the kids" fallacy that dates back to the "AV hates the kids" fable.

I think fans are scared that if Willie calls out Nik he'll bolt back to the KHL. 

But when Tryankin comes out and has himself a game tomorrow night, like Sven did after being benched, what then?

Archived