The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

UConn women's basketball coach on body language in sports

Toews

Reminds me of my playing days. Specifically basketball, I would get technical fouls just for my body language. I'm not even talking rude gestures or language, merely in the fashion I would look at a ref or carried myself on the court.  At the time I couldn't understand why I was being singled out. Eventually, I figured it out, realising that my body language and energy were easily interpreted by others. So while I was a fiery competitor, my exasperation and disgust with calls and non-calls were obvious even without words.

24 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

This coach would go berserk if he had to coach professional soccer players (males in particular, the women aren't nearly as bad).

Just recently Arsenal FC were being shellacked by a far superior Munich squad and their star player Alexis Sanchez was laughing on the bench after the goal that made it 5-1. Stuff like this is so common in football that it barely even registers.

1 minute ago, Toews said:

Just recently Arsenal FC were being shellacked by a far superior Munich squad and their star player Alexis Sanchez was laughing on the bench after the goal that made it 5-1. Stuff like this is so common in football that it barely even registers.

Maybe this soccer behaviour will keep the game from being widely accepted in .Canada and the US?  

Awesome message. Reminds me of a story from my HS days

I'll never forget my first practice of Varsity Football. Our two-way star and a really good friend of mine was with the offense for the walkthrough. We use bodies for our walkthroughs so a bunch of the 11th graders including him went on to the defensive side to act as bodies. He walked to the defensive end position and my coach said for him to hustle. He gave kind of a half-a** jog to his spot then folded his arms as if he was annoyed. My coach ripped into him like I have never seen before. Cursing, screaming, the works. I was standing 20 feet away and I was scared. Nobody on offense ever did anything like that again. When I was a senior a couple juniors came close to pushing coaches buttons but we talked some sense into them. Our coach was an intimidating man and did not take any **** when it to school work, conduct, or football. But he truly cares about his players, and he we cared about him. He held us to incredibly high standards at all times and expected nothing less. I feel like the UConn coach and my old coach are very similar. They care more about developing the person, than about winning. 

I think that is why when we lost in the final, it hurt so much. We watched all the film, we practiced with intensity and focus, we didn't party or do drugs/drink, we worked hard in the classroom, we trusted the process. We felt like we let our coach down because we played our worst game of the season in the final.

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe this soccer behaviour will keep the game from being widely accepted in .Canada and the US?  

I am pretty sure soccer is widely accepted in Canada/US. During World Cups or European Championships, cities across NA become alive.

1 minute ago, ReggieBush said:

I am pretty sure soccer is widely accepted in Canada/US. During World Cups or European Championships, cities across NA become alive.

Maybe?  Time will tell.  The current league appears to be doing well.

59 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Lmao do you live in a rock? In the past 5 years the MLS has progressed 2 maybe 3 times as much as I expected, very talented European quality players are making their way onto a lot of MLS squads. In 10-15 years MLS will be a main stay in the top 10 leagues in the world. We have the money, infrastructure, loads of interest, and the desirability of North American cities.

Maybe WD is applying the same principal with the Canucks and that's why certain players like Boucher keep getting benched?!?  Megna's body language must be off the charts good, like real good.

Archived