The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Markus Granlund to undergo wrist surgery

b3.

2 minutes ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

I'm confused by why everyone's confused. They initially thought it was something that could be treated with rest and rehab. They rested it. They rehabbed it. They set a deadline and it wasn't better so now they're trying surgery. Sounds pretty cut and dry to me.

So they misdiagnosed it?

I don't think there's any confusion. The medical staf cleared a player that should have been shut down.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I read that too.  Why didn't the medical staff know the surgery would have this consequence?  Why did they keep trying to rehab, when clearly there was no chance for that to work?  I accept doctors make mistakes, and that's likely what happened here.  

You do know they are talking about the surgery he had in January last year in Sweden, right? It is also why he was shut down so early by the Canucks' medical people to have it properly repaired.

This is a Granlund thread though so let's leave it there.

Just now, DeNiro said:

Him whining about it doesn't mean he should have been playing and risking further injury.

I'm sure the medical staff were well aware of it. Seems like they gave him some bad advice.

Could be true. I would just assume he didnt talk about it much. Cant see them knowingly ruin the guy for the future. 

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Doesn't stop him from lower-body training and conditioning, same as Gudbranson who may yet see some games.

That's the good thing I guess. I would have liked to see him add some more upper body strength over the summer though.

3 minutes ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

I'm confused by why everyone's confused. They initially thought it was something that could be treated with rest and rehab. They rested it. They rehabbed it. They set a deadline and it wasn't better so now they're trying surgery. Sounds pretty cut and dry to me.

Logic means nothing on CDC, its all emotional outrage!

46 minutes ago, nergish said:

Guy put up 19 goals with a bum wrist just to prove he's a Canuck?
To think we were genuinely considering exposing him to expansion earlier in the season...

he clearly is a wimp

i think we should approach the flames about their interest in trading him for shinkaruk

:blink:

edit:  i guess i should add the emoticon in case someone gets the wrong idea

2 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

You do know they are talking about the surgery he had in January last year in Sweden, right? It is also why he was shut down so early by the Canucks' medical people to have it properly repaired.

This is a Granlund thread though so let's leave it there.

Yes, it's a Granlund thread, but considering our medical staff allowed Granlund to play with this wrist injury for so very long, the question of our medical staff's competency is relevant.  As a result, Rodin's injury history is also relevant.  Why was Granlund not shut down and fixed three months ago?

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yes, it's a Granlund thread, but considering our medical staff allowed Granlund to play with this wrist injury for so very long, the question of our medical staff's competency is relevant.  As a result, Rodin's injury history is also relevant.  Why was Granlund not shut down and fixed three months ago?

Willie's fault, I'm sure. 

AM I DOING IT RIGHT????????????????

Just now, HerrDrFunk said:

Willie's fault, I'm sure. 

AM I DOING IT RIGHT????????????????

Actually, I'm not certain which of JB or TL oversees the medical staff and those decisions?  I doubt Willie knows about this stuff.

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

i suspect granlund has a say in whether he wants to keep playing or get treatment

i'm surely am not prepared to second guess a competent medical staff though

i'd want a lot more information first

this is not a witch hunt alf

Just now, coastal.view said:

i suspect granlund has a say in whether he wants to keep playing or get treatment

i'm surely a not prepared to second guess a competent medical staff though

i'd want a lot more information first

this is not a witch hunt alf

True. I just really want Granlund to be fully healed and up to top speed in October.  The guy really played great this season.  I wonder what he can do when healthy, and not playing in pain?

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How do you know when the medical staff were made aware of the injury? Do you know when Granlund brought it to their attention? How could they have shut him down three months ago if Granlund never revealed the injury?

2 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

How do you know when the medical staff were made aware of the injury? Do you know when Granlund brought it to their attention? How could they have shut him down three months ago if Granlund never revealed the injury?

I thought JB stated in an interview earlier this week (weekend?) there were a couple guys needing surgery who had been struggling wth injuries for some time?  Sounds like we knew?

19 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So they misdiagnosed it?

I don't think there's any confusion. The medical staf cleared a player that should have been shut down.

I wrote a lengthier response that seems to have disappeared during the thread merger but basically I said it's doubtful they misdiagnosed it, and likely they tried the least intrusive treatments possible before committing to surgery. 

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

True. I just really want Granlund to be fully healed and up to top speed in October.  The guy really played great this season.  I wonder what he can do when healthy, and not playing in pain?

Like I said, maybe we don't have the lesser Granlund? I'm not saying Markus is better than Mikael (because, duh) but from what I've seen, Markus has the potential to kick it up a notch with the right training and line mates. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I thought JB stated in an interview earlier this week (weekend?) there were a couple guys needing surgery who had been struggling wth injuries for some time?  Sounds like we knew?

He said ""Markus has had an ongoing wrist injury which we've treated through regular maintenance and rehabilitation" but there is no indication of how long this has been going on.

1 minute ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

I wrote a lengthier response that seems to have disappeared during the thread merger but basically I said it's doubtful they misdiagnosed it, and likely they tried the least intrusive treatments possible before committing to surgery. 

i agree

and so many people on here seem to think they are competent to attack the medical staff??

come on people

pretty desperate to show your own unhappiness

i had some ongoing contact with the previous trainer m.b. and can tell you from historical impressions

that the canucks have one of the best medical and training staffs in the nhl

i believe our staff served the canadian olympic team

Archived