The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dale Tallon named Florida GM again

https://www.nhl.com/panthers/news/dale-tallon-named-panthers-general-manager/c-288637636

SUNRISE, Fla. - Florida Panthers Chairman & Governor Vincent Viola announced on Monday that Dale Tallon has been appointed the club's General Manager. Tallon will also retain his title as President of Hockey Operations. 

"I am confident that we have the necessary talent throughout our organization to win the Stanley Cup," Viola said. "Dale will continue to be our principle leader as we pursue this single goal."

Tom Rowe, 60, will no longer serve as Florida Panthers General Manager and Interim Head Coach. Rowe will remain with the organization as Special Advisor to Panthers President of Hockey Operations and General Manager Dale Tallon.

Tallon, 66, will immediately begin the search for the next Panthers head coach.

"We have the talent to get back on track in a hurry," Tallon said. "This was a difficult year for us, but I think we learned some tough lessons about what it takes to win consistently in the NHL. With a few tweaks to our roster and the right leadership, I'm confident we can get back to contending for the Stanley Cup next season."

Tallon previously served as the General Manager of the Florida Panthers from May 2010 through to May 2016. During that time, Tallon guided the Panthers through a rebuilding phase that saw the organization add blue-chip young players like Jonathan Huberdeau, Aaron Ekblad, Aleksander Barkov and Vincent Trocheck through the NHL entry draft.

What a freak show down there.  Tallon should never have been tossed aside.

I think Gallant would be a good replacement for Willie.  Gallant prove with the Panthers that he could bring young talent to the next level.  He also had success somewhat reviving Jagr's career too.  Maybe he could do the same with the Sedins and our prospect like Virtanen, Baerstchi, Grandlund, Boeser, Stetcher, Juolevi, etc.   He also has a lot on confidence in Gudbransson giving him big minutes with the Panthers and would be reunited.

The only reason Rowe is staying around is because if they fire him, they look even stupider than if they keep him around for a year in an "advisor" position where they can claim he is informing Tallon of some statistical information, and everyone is working well together, yada yada, meanwhile he probably never comes into the office. Then he's officially fired next offseason. That all being said, if I were Dale Tallon, I wouldn't have even taken the job tbh. I would have left. It's a lot easier to tear down something you've built than it is to rebuild it, and his team got torn down alright.

35 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Although I would not be surprised at all to see Gallant re-hired lol

His pride and self-respect will prevent that. No way he goes back to a team when the dude that fired him after a game is still lurking in the organization. 

that would be pretty fun if it did happen though. haha

Just now, The Weasel said:

His pride and self-respect will prevent that. No way he goes back to a team when the dude that fired him after a game is still lurking in the organization. 

Probably true. I know Tallon and Gallant are very close though. I think we should get him as I think he is the best overall fit for a coach based on what our team has and where we are at.

Archived