The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Looking for thoughts on Vilardi as the 2nd or 3rd pick in the NHL Entry Draft

sockeye

8 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Your going to be in for a shock.  

Remember this conversation.  I'm trying to warn my fellow Canuck fans well in advance about vilardi and mittelstadt not being in the 3-4 range.  

I have nothing against him.  I originally kinda liked him until I found out how little interest the Canucks have in this guy.  

Again, ok fine, I will take back what I said about him not being drafted in the top 5, but I will assure you guys, the Canucks will not be selecting Gabriel vilardi or Casey mittelstadt with whatever pick we get.  Some one quote me.  Better yet let's just remember this comversation.

Lets just hope we don't take another Jake at 5th.

Reading up on Vilardi tonight and found a few things worth mentioning.

From an article  here - http://www.thewhig.com/2016/12/20/call-it-the-vilardi-wall-of-fame

“Gabe not only eats, drinks and sleeps hockey, he’s one of the nicest kids from one of the nicest
families I’ve ever had the pleasure of dealing with,” Windsor general manager Warren Rychel said
of the slick center, a bonafide leader on the Memorial Cup-bound Spitfires. “You can tell that the
parents raised their sons right, taught them well.”

The parents promised to support their sons’ hockey careers, albeit with this caveat: “I say to them
the day we tell you to train is the day we stop paying,”

“Gabe is a coach’s dream,” said former CIHA head coach Guy Girouard, now Jim Hulton’s assistant
with the Charlottetown Islanders of the Quebec major junior loop. “He was always looking to improve
his game, whether he was stick-handling in the hallway, juggling, foam-rolling in the gym.

“The only argument I had with him was getting him off the ice after practice.”

Rychel concurred, aware that the Spitfires’ self-motivated spark plug is not one to cut corners.

“He doesn’t cheat the game,” the GM pointed out. “You know what they say about the hardest working
people working hardest when no one’s looking — that’s Gabe.”

Whats not to like about this talented 6' 3" 200 lb self motivated workaholic?  Maybe that he is a good
skater and not a speedster, but Horvat has shown that skating can be improved.

7 minutes ago, YummyCakeFace said:

Watching the US/Sweden game. That Liljegren is pretty slick. Coming off a mono plagued season. Looking very impressive now tho. If the Nux fall out of the top two, they really have to think long and hard about this guy. 

From what I can surmise from a supposedly leaked draft document in the hfboards, the Canucks draft board looks like:

1. Patrick
  2. Hischier
  3. Liljegren
  4. Necas

Vilardi's supposed to be not high in their draft board. But this leak is from months ago and can change.

1 minute ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

From what I can surmise from a supposedly leaked draft document in the hfboards, the Canucks draft board looks like:

1. Patrick
  2. Hischier
  3. Liljegren
  4. Necas

Vilardi's supposed to be not high in their draft board. But this leak is from months ago and can change.

Oh nice. So it's not a stretch that Liljegren would be a solid pick there. Haven't seen a lot of him but man he looked good today. 

2 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

1. Patrick
  2. Hischier
  3. Liljegren
  4. Necas

Management hasn't been impressing me lately, so I wouldn't be surprised. Liljegren at #3 and I'm calling for managements head. 

1 hour ago, messier's_elbow said:

Management hasn't been impressing me lately, so I wouldn't be surprised. Liljegren at #3 and I'm calling for managements head. 

Why? Outside of the top 2 there likely isn't a realistic option for a top line center, we desperately need a Dman who could potentially turn into a 1st unit QB, and we just so happened to lose a young defenseman to the KHL a couple of days ago.

27 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Why? Outside of the top 2 there likely isn't a realistic option for a top line center, we desperately need a Dman who could potentially turn into a 1st unit QB, and we just so happened to lose a young defenseman to the KHL a couple of days ago.

He's one dimensional and too risky for a top 5 pick. I have him rated around 10th. What do I know though, I'm not a pro scout. 

6 minutes ago, CanuckleHorse said:

If Nolan Patrick stays healthy he's the best player in this draft hands down he is the total package a player who will get you the big goal a player who has that magic to make something out a nothing.

The kid has dominated at every level and has already been a playoff MVP. 
He has Team Canada type upside, could be an Eric Staal type figure for this team for a lot of years.

Hischier will make a lot of highlight reel plays over his career though, he would keep fans out of their seats for us too.

On 2017-04-22 at 1:45 PM, vinny_in_vancouver said:

1. Patrick
  2. Hischier
  3. Liljegren
  4. Necas

I really hope that's not the draft order the Canucks are going by. 

On 2017-04-22 at 5:47 PM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

If we pick Liljegren at #5 I could stomach it maybe. I just see Vilardi and Glass being better pros. Mittelstadt intrigues me as well. I cant wait wait for the lotto and the combine to finally get a brighter picture of what's going to happen. If Liljegren does well in the combine I might cut him some slack. 

fyi Glass 's dad is 6'5 and his brother 6'7...... he is seventeen and is already 6'2 and is highly skilled. I would draft glass even if doesn't grow any bigger he is a stud, but if he gets to 6'5 wow! DRAFT GLASS AT 3,4,5 IF AVAILABLE!

On 2017-04-22 at 1:45 PM, vinny_in_vancouver said:

1. Patrick
  2. Hischier
  3. Liljegren
  4. Necas

Ha.  Ya if the Canucks don't get one of the top 2, they will go off the board.  Typical canucks

On 14/04/2017 at 3:50 PM, The Aquamen said:

Patrick and Vilardi just aren't on the same level as AM34, he owns them. Having size isn't everything now a days, skill is what defines everything ;)

When skill is equal, speed can kill & size will dominate.  -_- ::D

On 22/04/2017 at 1:45 PM, vinny_in_vancouver said:

1. Patrick
  2. Hischier
  3. Liljegren
  4. Necas

Maybe that's because they learned from last years mistake of telling everyone that they wanted PLB, & we all know how that went.

On 2017-04-20 at 9:14 AM, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Reports vs actual NHL team listing ism different things.  I have nothing against him.  I have enough information to know that vilardi will absolutely not get picked in the top 5 by anyone. 

Trust me on this.  

If you have that much information than you are at the wrong place giving it. I'd be calling Jim & Trevor up for a job. 

On 22/04/2017 at 5:50 AM, Quaz said:

Reading up on Vilardi tonight and found a few things worth mentioning.

From an article  here - http://www.thewhig.com/2016/12/20/call-it-the-vilardi-wall-of-fame

“Gabe not only eats, drinks and sleeps hockey, he’s one of the nicest kids from one of the nicest
families I’ve ever had the pleasure of dealing with,” Windsor general manager Warren Rychel said
of the slick center, a bonafide leader on the Memorial Cup-bound Spitfires. “You can tell that the
parents raised their sons right, taught them well.”

The parents promised to support their sons’ hockey careers, albeit with this caveat: “I say to them
the day we tell you to train is the day we stop paying,”

“Gabe is a coach’s dream,” said former CIHA head coach Guy Girouard, now Jim Hulton’s assistant
with the Charlottetown Islanders of the Quebec major junior loop. “He was always looking to improve
his game, whether he was stick-handling in the hallway, juggling, foam-rolling in the gym.

“The only argument I had with him was getting him off the ice after practice.”

Rychel concurred, aware that the Spitfires’ self-motivated spark plug is not one to cut corners.

“He doesn’t cheat the game,” the GM pointed out. “You know what they say about the hardest working
people working hardest when no one’s looking — that’s Gabe.”

Whats not to like about this talented 6' 3" 200 lb self motivated workaholic?  Maybe that he is a good
skater and not a speedster, but Horvat has shown that skating can be improved.

The more I read about him the more I think he is likely another Bo Horvat! But that being said if we are selecting #1 and #2 we should still stick with Patrick or Hischier but if we fall from 3-5, then we should definitely snap up this kid.

Archived