The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tryamkin goes to the KHL

34 minutes ago, Provost said:

Considering that there were maybe 10 players in the whole league making over $1 million at its heyday... I would bet he is between $250-500k.

The player that got big cash were the big name veteran NHLers who went there.  It was kind of like Beckham in MLS.

Are you serious? It can't be that low...he could have made $2M easy here next year. WTF?!?

34 minutes ago, Provost said:

A few points:

Yes we donned to take him back because he is a top 4 D man with potential.

it isn't like he was being a douche and signing an overpriced offer sheet like we have had guys do in the past.  It isn't like he signed a fat contract and just sat on his rear playing awful hockey and cashing cheque stuff like we had guys do in the past.

This is a kid who honoured his contract with us, even in crappy circumstances.  He then left to go home for family reasons that were compelling enough for him to lose  many millions of dollars in lost salary.

I'm not saying his reasons for leaving aren't valid, nor am I saying he's a bad guy. But the fact remains he doesn't want to be here, and we shouldn't want players who don't want to be here. The Canucks can get along fine without him, they don't need him. They need players that are committed to working hard with the goal of winning with this team. Not someone who came here out of shape, refused to go to the minors on a conditioning stint, and criticized the team publicly for not playing enough minutes once he signed in Russia.

The team comes first. Yes, losing a player with his potential will hurt, but it's the best thing for the team.

5 minutes ago, Sweathog said:

I'm not saying his reasons for leaving aren't valid, nor am I saying he's a bad guy. But the fact remains he doesn't want to be here, and we shouldn't want players who don't want to be here. The Canucks can get along fine without him, they don't need him. They need players that are committed to working hard with the goal of winning with this team. Not someone who came here out of shape, refused to go to the minors on a conditioning stint, and criticized the team publicly for not playing enough minutes once he signed in Russia.

The team comes first. Yes, losing a player with his potential will hurt, but it's the best thing for the team.

I get what you're saying. All valid points. But he's still young. Maybe he'll mature with some time away and come to realize that he had it pretty good over here. Only time will tell. But if he ever did decide to come back, I'd welcome him with open arms. Players like Tryamkin don't come around very often.

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

Are you serious? It can't be that low...he could have made $2M easy here next year. WTF?!?

Go google it... you can find some details.  

I actually just pulled up some updated numbers and they are up to around 30 players who make a million per (though many of those actually haven't gotten paid.... hence the teams folding).

Team salary caps are under $15 million, so "maybe" Tryamkin could be getting as high as $750k $1 million.

Still, he could easily have signed a 4 year $10-12 million contract here at minimum.  That is millions left on the table.

With the shaky finances nowadays, the pay delays are probably worse and risks of his contract not being honored are higher.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

I actually just pulled up some updated numbers and they are up to around 30 players who make a million per (though many of those actually haven't gotten paid.... hence the teams folding).

Team salary caps are under $15 million, so "maybe" Tryamkin could be getting as high as $750k $1 million.

Still, he could easily have signed a 4 year $10-12 million contract here at minimum.  That is millions left on the table.

With the shaky finances nowadays, the pay delays are probably worse and risks of his contract not being honored are higher.

Ya I just saw that top 30 list. Pretty crazy to think he left that much money on the table. Good for him I guess. Most people in his position would chase the money and not even think twice about it. 

11 hours ago, Provost said:

I doubt any agent would have ever advised Tryamkin to return to the KHL. Not only is the money in question but his development as well. It does led me to believe his decision to return to Russia was about family. His priority in life might not be hockey.  We are also assuming that Tryamkin is a bright kid which might not be true.  

9 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I doubt any agent would have ever advised Tryamkin to return to the KHL. Not only is the money in question but his development as well. It does led me to believe his decision to return to Russia was about family. His priority in life might not be hockey.  We are also assuming that Tryamkin is a bright kid which might not be true.  

Actually he has a KHL agent and an NHL agent, so the Russian one would have a vested interest in him signing there.

The point of the post was to say that it is clearly some compelling personal reasons for going back.  Not just a bad attitude and wanting to go where the money and effort is easiest.

having different priorities in life is fine, even admirable.  I don't think it makes one smart or not.

4 hours ago, Provost said:

Actually he has a KHL agent and an NHL agent, so the Russian one would have a vested interest in him signing there.

The point of the post was to say that it is clearly some compelling personal reasons for going back.  Not just a bad attitude and wanting to go where the money and effort is easiest.

having different priorities in life is fine, even admirable.  I don't think it makes one smart or not.

This.

It's actually kind of refreshing when viewed from an unbiased perspective. We're so used to players living at the opposite end of the spectrum. Look at Ehrhoff, he actually came out and said he believed Buffalo was his best opportunity to win a stanley cup, but we all know he simply accepted the highest offer. It's funny how we credit that a smart move, without hesitation. But when a player takes a million instead of 2 so he can go back to his home country and be with his family, we view it as the complete opposite of smart. Like @Provost said, if anything it's admirable. 

On 2017-05-27 at 8:02 PM, VIC_CITY said:

Does anyone know how much he'll be making in the KHL?

23 hours ago, Provost said:

Considering that there were maybe 10 players in the whole league making over $1 million at its heyday... I would bet he is between $250-500k.

The player that got big cash were the big name veteran NHLers who went there.  It was kind of like Beckham in MLS.

Found this earlier today, it is interesting times for the KHL.

Definitely reforming itself over the next few years.. but tough times ahead I'm sure.

Anybody who wants to make money, will strive to excel in the NHL.

Its on Nik's list to do just that.

https://conwaysrussianhockey.wordpress.com/2017/05/28/guest-post-the-khls-strategic-plan/amp/

21 hours ago, Provost said:

Fair enough on the personal reasons comment. I was not suggesting that his life choices and how smart he is were connected. I was speculating on how smart he was period. That can be taken as a negative I guess but I run into lots of people who are not that smart and there is no reason why some hockey players are no different. As I said this is idle speculation which we all seem to do on CDC. 

based on the context, information on the thread and from your comment about him if he was smart, people can and have assumed that since he signed for less money that means he's not smart.

As others have mentioned, it is admirable that he puts others needs in front of his needs. This is coming from someone who also came to Canada from somewhere else.

We know that he can come back and i, for one, will welcome him back. None of this talk about if someone doesn't want to be here, then screw them. 

57 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Fair enough on the personal reasons comment. I was not suggesting that his life choices and how smart he is were connected. I was speculating on how smart he was period. That can be taken as a negative I guess but I run into lots of people who are not that smart and there is no reason why some hockey players are no different. As I said this is idle speculation which we all seem to do on CDC. 

Agents aren't always smart. Look at George Lazenby, the Eon Productions guys offered him a multi-picture deal to play James Bond. His agent warned him saying in late 1960's that movies like Midnight Cowboy and Easy Rider was going to be the direction films were taking. And no one would care about a spy in a tuxedo and a PPK.

Oops.

27 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

That's why the Neely trade really hurts. 

If Neely stayed with the Canucks and played the way he did with the Bruins, we would not have been in a position to draft Linden.  Make no mistake about it, the Neely trade really hurt us, but getting rid of Neely was important for the Canucks.  That was the end for Jack Gordon, and in came Pat Quinn.  The Canucks have had some great teams since then (albeit non cup winning great teams).

So yeah, it hurts to get burned in the Neely trade but a lot of good things happened after that.  I always remember the radio play by play caller saying "uh oh, they hit Neely.  If there's one thing you don't want to do is wake up the big kid and get him in the game".

On 5/27/2017 at 9:46 PM, Provost said:

I'm pretty sure they don't pay income tax in russia. 1 million there is probably similar to (maybe more than) 2 million here.

Even if not, Try is clearly making the move cause he wants to live in Russia.

21 minutes ago, cdubuya said:

I'm pretty sure they don't pay income tax in russia. 1 million there is probably similar to (maybe more than) 2 million here.

Well a three second Google shows Russia with a 13% federal income tax; an 18% sales tax; and then regional/local taxes similar to our provincial and municipal ones.

looks like it adds up to pretty similar to our tax rates.

I am sure the cost of living is less there.  Certainly not enough to make up for the 4-8 times salary he would be getting here (assuming at least a Hutton level deal).

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well a three second Google shows Russia with a 13% federal income tax; an 18% sales tax; and then regional/local taxes similar to our provincial and municipal ones.

looks like it adds up to pretty similar to our tax rates.

I am sure the cost of living is less there.  Certainly not enough to make up for the 4-8 times salary he would be getting here (assuming at least a Hutton level deal).

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2012/01/06/khl_gunslinging_owners_drugs_dodgy_air_travel_all_part_of_the_game.html

“You’ve got taxes, team dinners, going out, tips, there’s just a lot more that you blow your money on when you play in the NHL,” he said. “You come to Russia and there’s not as much you do besides play hockey. You make $400,000 in the KHL and it’s like making $700,000 in North America.”

15 hours ago, cdubuya said:

They pay income taxes in Russia. 

But generally speaking, the KHL player salaries we read about are "assumed to be after taxes, as most monetary reports out of Russia are often reported as the after tax result (rather than in North America, where the monetary reports are all pre-tax)."

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.puckworlds.com/platform/amp/2010/6/8/1506494/kovalchuks-krazy-khl-offer

3 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

They pay income taxes in Russia. 

But generally speaking, the KHL player salaries we read about are "assumed to be after taxes, as most monetary reports out of Russia are often reported as the after tax result (rather than in North America, where the monetary reports are all pre-tax)."

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.puckworlds.com/platform/amp/2010/6/8/1506494/kovalchuks-krazy-khl-offer

Even so, how can these teams afford the salaries they are paying, considering their revenues?  It all sounds really suspicious to this Alien.

Archived