The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Travis Green new head coach

-Vintage Canuck-

15 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Coaches job is to lead the horse to water and show them the best way to drink. That's the coach's 'onus'.

Benning's onus is to pick good, strong horses who looks to have a propensity for drinking said water.

Most of Benning's 'good' horses have either gone straight to the NHL or have been still in Europe, Junior or College. Green has had very little 'good' horses to actually lead to water. 

IMG_1594.JPG

19 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Edmonton, Toronto and Chicago have great leadership groups, however none of those leaders are without a contract. I'm not saying Linden, Benning and Green are anywhere near those levels, but honestly who do you suggest?

I would suggest Sutter, but I'll be the first to admit I don't have enough information to give an astute answer. When I  heard about the hiring I went and visited the front office home page for multiple teams. One thing I noticed was the volume of personnel, the clubs performing at the top seem to have a great President, GM, and coach, but perhaps even more significant they have more complimentary pieces. For the Canucks, its our Pres, GM, coach + 3 Aquilinis. I'm betting that the Aquilini's arent involved with the day-to-day stuff and maybe they don't do anything at all. 

Kind of wish Green had not given the same take on the vets that we have heard for many years. I also really hoped he would say that all players need to earn their jobs not just young players need to earn their jobs.

I really hope we don't see the same reliance on the Sedins and Edler. That will put Green in failure territory faster than anything else.

23 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Its not a "No" or "Yes" answer.

Sure the onus is mostly on the player. (And on JB who picked them). But the coach has a little to do with their development no?  It is just troubling that many of the prospects that have come through his system have either developed incrementally, or even regressed. You can look for excuses for each of them, as you have done, but looking at the total view over his time there, it is a little troubling that trend.

The majority of the players have progressed in their development while playing under him. 

Shinakruk, Grenier, Valk, Archibald, Demko, Subban, McEnenny, Virtanen, Gaunce

The only one that's really took a backwards step was Pedan

I think what people are confusing in NHL talent.  You can't turn a non NHL talent into NHL talent.  Are people really shocked that try out signings and 4th round picks haven't turned into NHL players? They just don't have the skillsets to make an impact at the next level but Green has been able to have them progress at the AHL level.  

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

A healthy Boeser will not play one game in Utica.

I'm not so sure, he's got more than a couple of holes in his game and Utica would be a good place for him to work on those.  The worst thing the Canucks can do is let the weak parts of his game slide because he can put the puck in the net.

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Kind of wish Green had not given the same take on the vets that we have heard for many years. I also really hoped he would say that all players need to earn their jobs not just young players need to earn their jobs.

I really hope we don't see the same reliance on the Sedins and Edler. That will put Green in failure territory faster than anything else.

no coach, NHL or otherwise, is going to play kids over seasoned vets unless they earn it.  Even in TO, Kadri, JVR, Bozek etc all play more important mins than the young guys.    

20 hours ago, stawns said:

Well you were dead wrong on the Shink trade, so that bodes well for the hiring of Green

There might be reason for concern though. When I  heard about the hiring I went and visited the front office home page for multiple teams. One thing I noticed was the volume of personnel, the clubs performing at the top seem to have a great President, GM, and coach, but perhaps even more significant they have more complimentary pieces. For the Canucks, its our Pres, GM, coach + 3 Aquilinis. I'm betting that the Aquilini's arent involved with the day-to-day stuff and maybe they don't do anything at all. 

24 minutes ago, two drink minimum said:

He better not be in the AHL. If he is something has gone terribly wrong

why?  Because he can score goals?  He's got plenty of things he can work on in the AHL, not to mention a wave of future teammates and linemates coming into the fold.  He shouldn't be gifted anything because he can score.

Travis Green is not much different than Jon Cooper, who seemed to be quite popular on here a few years ago. 

Looks like we're following a similar model as Tampa Bay, where the head coach is groomed in the AHL and then brought up with a bunch of players he coached. Also not too much different than what AV did, minus the previous years of NHL experience.

Bottom line is, familiarity with guys like Baertschi, Markstrom, Virtanen, Demko, Subban, Goldobin, and other young players that will eventually make he bigs should go a long ways.

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

why?  Because he can score goals?  He's got plenty of things he can work on in the AHL, not to mention a wave of future teammates and linemates coming into the fold.  He shouldn't be gifted anything because he can score.

Um, he kept up with the NHL pace just fine and after a good summer of training I can't see his skating not improving, even ever so slightly.

A full training camp and pre-season will also acclimatize him to the team, line-mates and to Greens coaching, which should allow his already great positioning and decent defensive play to flourish. He has the hockey IQ needed to be an effective player in the NHL.

He is not 18/19. He left College only after achieving all he could. Not like he is undersized either, so now its just a matter of staying focused on being the best pro he can be. Something that a player of his high character should have no problem doing.

I like the decision to sign Green on the basis that it would be a continuation of development for a lot of the players. If we bring a new coach from outside, some of the young players may lose directions, in particular, Virtanen. Now, Virtanen just has to continue to do the things that he has been taught by Green.

Familiarity with the players will be huge for Green and this organization moving forward. I think familiarity with the new core of players can potentially reduce the rebuilding time significantly.

38 minutes ago, stawns said:

no coach, NHL or otherwise, is going to play kids over seasoned vets unless they earn it.  Even in TO, Kadri, JVR, Bozek etc all play more important mins than the young guys.    

I think the young guys on our team are not only comparable (and in some cases more dynamic) offensively, almost all of them are also faster and better defensively. If they haven't earned (and the Sedins/Edler havent also contributed to losing their spots) then they never will.

Lots of NHL coaches play young guys.

All of those Toronto players you name have the significant advantage of being solid defensively and able to be used in situations other than offensively. The Sedins are not good anywhere but the offensive zone and even there they are dwindling.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Coaches job is to lead the horse to water and show them the best way to drink. That's the coach's 'onus'.

Benning's onus is to pick good, strong horses who looks to have a propensity for drinking said water.

Most of Benning's 'good' horses have either gone straight to the NHL or have been still in Europe, Junior or College. Green has had very little 'good' horses to actually lead to water. 

This

47 minutes ago, stawns said:

For all the hoopla about TO rebuild, they still 6 players over 30.  We had 5.  Now if only we had Matthews....:lol:

I thought Green came across well versed in the interview . He was concise and direct with his answers.

Hoping for the best - it's gonna be a rough road but exciting times for the organization. Where will we be in 2 years - who will be on this team then? Who will  Jim pick in this draft? Will Jim be able to find a new home for some of our existing roster?

Hurry up Sept>

As long as he doesn't let complacency enter the players mind...especially with the vets.

He needs to hold everyone to the same standard, which includes young and old players. WD was unable to do this because of respect.

It seems like management is on board with the rebuild; therefore, playing young guys over the vets when the young guys have proven themselves and the vets are faltering should be a given.

Archived