The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Travis Green new head coach

-Vintage Canuck-

56 minutes ago, Wise Owl said:

I agree. My point was It was not a case of Willie not wanting him and now that Green was in charge things were going to change. Subban has not been good enough and Green has been a big reason he did not get called up. As part of the management team he has been saying this guy is not ready for the NHL.

Don't think so 

you will see him in Green's lineup. Maybe not as a regular but Green will get him in the lineup

Willie was a clueless incompetent fool 

52 minutes ago, unknown33429 said:

I'm amazed how fans are blindly optimistic. I think that is the difference between US and Canadian fans. 

Green was a mediocre AHL coach. Thinking he will be a good NHL coach based on a few interviews is delusional. 

If he was a great development coach, we'd have great young players. Our prospects would be meeting or exceeding expectations. The best young player we have is Ben Hutton and he didn't even play in Utica.

Edit: same with Brock Boeser... notice how people that stay away from our organization while they develop are way ahead of people within the organization...like virtanen.

He is a scapegoat for the terrible years ahead and nothing more.

There really hasn't been a lot to cheer about the last couple years,but this hiring does hold promise for the future...There's more than enough pessimistic posters around..,always at the ready to pour a bucket of cold water on any positive comments..

On ‎2017‎-‎04‎-‎25 at 1:07 PM, wallstreetamigo said:

I don't expect any coach to take this team to a cup at this point.

My issue with Green at this point is that he really hasn't developed any impact pro players so he doesn't have this track record of earning it like people are saying. Which players have become impact - or even tweener - NHL players under his watch? 

he hasn't had any prospects capable of developing into the king of players thatll satify you.

the fact his teams controlled the play most times while having arguably one of the worst AHL rosters speaks volume.

his only decent team he brought to the finals, I wanted Crawford but I'm excited to see what Green can do for our PP and play tempo

2 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

he hasn't had any prospects capable of developing into the king of players thatll satify you.

the fact his teams controlled the play most times while having arguably one of the worst AHL rosters speaks volume.

his only decent team he brought to the finals, I wanted Crawford but I'm excited to see what Green can do for our PP and play tempo

I have said he didn't have much to work with. That doesn't change my point though. He doesn't have a strong track record of developing young players into NHL players.

That doesn't mean he can't do it, it just means it's a risky hire for a team that needs that more than anything else.

I liked his comments about how young players are all different and need to know where they stand, etc. I didn't like his star struck comments about the Sedins though or his statement he will be relying on them a lot. That seems like the same approach Desjardins had. 

I would have liked to hear him say all players have to improve and earn their jobs rather than just differentiating between young guys and vets again. We have already seen how that approach works out.

i am hoping that he truly has the strength to hold everyone accountable regardless if they are potential future HOF guys or not.

Firing a rookie head coach in Willie only to hire another one in Travis is mistake. He'll be fired next year and Canucks will be looking for 5th Coach since 2013.

Very moronic Canucks didn't conduct any interviews with candidates at all. So much for doing your due diligence.

8 minutes ago, fivethej said:

Firing a rookie head coach in Willie only to hire another one in Travis is mistake. He'll be fired next year and Canucks will be looking for 5th Coach since 2013.

Very moronic Canucks didn't conduct any interviews with candidates at all. So much for doing your due diligence.

Do you think, that there is a possibility, that those coaches aren't what they're looking for?:shock:

1 hour ago, two drink minimum said:

Because he's better than any of our right wingers currently. He can work on his game here too. Its no news flash that this team is looking to turn over the roster and go with a youth movement

The AHL affords him true developmental time to really work on his game, so that when he does make the full time job he is a consistently impactful player.  To me, giving him significant practice time and work out sessions is only a win for both him and the organization.

In Van he will get very little practice time to work on anything 

1 hour ago, redhdlois said:

Wouldn't that be ironic if by focusing on rebuilding that we make the playoffs.

We probably will make the playoffs with such a deep draft coming up in 2018 and get destroyed in the first round. That said Calgary will probably tank and land Brady Tkachuk!

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

The AHL affords him true developmental time to really work on his game, so that when he does make the full time job he is a consistently impactful player.  To me, giving him significant practice time and work out sessions is only a win for both him and the organization.

In Van he will get very little practice time to work on anything 

How in the world would you know what Boesser needs to work on and whether or not it should be done in Vancouver. Who died and made you the Canucks development expert

9 hours ago, stawns said:

why?  Because he can score goals?  He's got plenty of things he can work on in the AHL, not to mention a wave of future teammates and linemates coming into the fold.  He shouldn't be gifted anything because he can score.

Scoring goals for a team that can't score them trumps any small deficiencies in his game. He may have had half their goals that last few games of the season.

2 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Don't think so 

you will see him in Green's lineup. Maybe not as a regular but Green will get him in the lineup

Willie was a clueless incompetent fool 

Wise Owl was right - Subban not being recalled has nothing to do with Desjardins.

It wasn't Desjardins decision to make who's recalled from Utica.

That's Benning's call and it has everything to do with who Green recommends.

A few points to consider after the presser

• Travis is a BC boy who grew up a Canucks fan so passion and commitment are a given. This is his dream job.
  • He is young and ambitious and will grow with this team
  • He is displaying a depth and complexity of though which we haven't seen in a long time. What he said about tailoring your interventions to individual players is spot on. Yes structure is important but in this day and age you can't treat everyone the same way.
  • AV was a great coach tactically but he had a stacked roster and could not elevate his team when it mattered most. He should of been gone after the LA series in 2012. Torts was an intelligent man but lets face it he was a bit of a psycho he had to reign it in after the fiasco in 13/14 to get another job in the league. Willie is a hard working and honest guy but a bit simple in his thinking (real good, played hard) hence he resorted to stubbornness (see Megna/Shampoo)
  • I've got a good feeling about this people it's gonna be OK

2 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

We probably will make the playoffs with such a deep draft coming up in 2018 and get destroyed in the first round. That said Calgary will probably tank and land Brady Tkachuk!

I have the same slight concerns....

This is why, I worried about change of coach. I hate to lose, but accept we need to have another good draft before, before we can consider the pieces needed are there....

JB really need to pull a few rabbits out the hat this year and the next. Assets to pull off a block buster trade if needed.

Sod it.... I wanna win more than worry about draft positions.... Go get them Green. I want playoff hockey asap.... god I miss playoff hockey.

I've been told this week that one of my experienced staff is leaving for a new job.

I have two choices: promote from within, choosing a candidate who loves the company, knows the job, and is eager for that next step - or bring in outsider, who will take time to get to know the job (around two years for this job).

It's the same for the Canucks. Green was the best hire available to the Canucks, and I'd like to thank Linden and Benning for not kowtowing to the Canucks Twitterati, but for making the correct decision for the future of this franchise.

Things cannot get any worse than they are right now - we are at absolute rock bottom. Fast forward two years, and I believe we will be in excellent shape with a dynamic coach, matured prospects, and a succession plan for the Sedins.

7 hours ago, oldnews said:

That was a hell of a presser imo.

You can see what Green brings there from an interaction standpoint - he's got presence, engaged, perceptive as hell - quick and fluid thinker - balanced perspective - driven - obviously a good listener as well as able to express himself clearly.

Has been gunning for this job for a long time - and waited for his opportunity - to the point he's knocking the door down.   Trusted that his hard work and loyalty would be rewarded.   Linden and Benning clearly had no intention otherwise.

Pretty evident that this was their succession plan for some time

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Green can do with this group (and the guys on the way).

It must be a fantastic feeling for Green knowing, that the management team have so much faith in him, that at no time did they feel the need to explore any other options. Suggests they are totally in sync about the way forward... Can only bode well for the future.

Archived