The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden: "We are rebuilding this team"

HerrDrFunk

1 minute ago, cripplereh said:

I just do not get how people or fans can not see this has been a rebuild

look at how many younger players we have had this year and now moving forward

Ignorance is Bliss.

Its easier to be purposely obtuse than to actually accept that sometimes things don't turn around overnight.

Benning has had his hurdled to overcome, whether that be Ownership wanting to give the Sedin's another go, or the fan base demanding instant results.

It seems that the focus is now 100% on building the new core, so hopefully the tone of this board starts to change to that of excitement about the future and not constantly beating up dead horses.

The full rebuild didn't start until the trade deadline.  They were in full "resuscitate" mode when they signed Eriksson until his death. They waited three years too long to fully embrace what needed to be done. And nobody can convince me they signed Eriksson to "help bring the kids along".

We've been "rebuilding" for the last 2 years, this doesn't change a thing. Top-10 picks and bottom-5 in the standings may or may not be on purpose, but I think we'll see a big shift towards cultivating young players now. I just hope we do it properly and don't rush anyone. Hopefully Granlund, Baertschi, Hutton and Horvat aren't too old for the new core they're building and can be considered a part of it. We should aim to contend for the playoffs and ideally the cup in 3-5 years time. Horvat should be in his mid to late 20s and in his prime then as should most of our young D-men and skilled forwards. In those next 2-3 years we need to pick some high quality players and have them develop far away from the NHL for as long as possible before throwing them in.

The first step in recovery is recognizing denial. The word rebuild means that they have to work now, real hard because fans will expect to see some really, really good young players not just other team failures or players that couldn't make those teams or AHLer's.

I means the can't just draft and say wait for years to have success. Or trade and pray for a better third liner.

45 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

I just do not get how people or fans can not see this has been a rebuild

look at how many younger players we have had this year and now moving forward

When the Team President says they aren't rebuilding, then they're not rebuilding. Now the opposite holds true and fans are defending his flip-flopping around on the concept. Only Linden could pull this off! 

What happened to the, "it wouldn't be fair to the Sedins to rebuild" mantra, Linden?

Linden only has himself to blame for refusing to utter the word, rebuild. Its become a spectacle, which he now wears. Using every re-synonym in the book along the way, he finally uses the word that you, presumably, had on your lips all along. Why shouldn't fans raise an eyebrow at his semantics? He has a surefire future in politics after this gig. 

If you don't get something, it should be why the Prez was the last one to use the word to describe the transition the team is/was in, then you might have a resemblance of a point to throw against the typical fan. 

35 minutes ago, Great Granny said:

The full rebuild didn't start until the trade deadline.  They were in full "resuscitate" mode when they signed Eriksson until his death. They waited three years too long to fully embrace what needed to be done. And nobody can convince me they signed Eriksson to "help bring the kids along".

Still, you and I and the next fan will all agree that these are exciting days to be a fan. 

Sure, we're coming in later than hoped to the true rebuild, but we're finally here and we finally have hit the part of the cycle where the new core will be drafted from with top 5 picks for the next few years, we hope. 

I can't wait for April 29 and to see what JB does in trade to acquire extra picks to go into the draft with, like any good rebuild strategy would employ. 

1 hour ago, KKnight said:

Man, i dont get why people hate Sutter Soooo much. 

Some people think we lost the trade to get him.

Some people think he's overpaid.

Some people think he's overrated.  

Some of it probably has to do with a 3rd liner being called a "foundational player."  

Is he a bad player?  Of course not, but he came in with a lot of hype and has had two terrible seasons since he got here.  If Gudbranson and/or Eriksson have another bad season they'll be in the same boat.  

51 minutes ago, Great Granny said:

They signed Eriksson so that we don't end up being so bad that guys don't want to play here anymore.  

If we had barely missed out on the playoffs maybe Tryamkin would've stayed.  Not getting playing time on the 2nd worst team in the league is frustrating.  

Bo Horvat will probably resign but I can assure you that he's not thrilled at all to be going back to the 2nd worst team in the league.  

You can't dump every single player that can help you win games and expect everything to be just dandy going forward.

28 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

When the Team President says they aren't rebuilding, then they're not rebuilding. Now the opposite holds true and fans are defending his flip-flopping around on the concept. Only Linden could pull this off! 

What happened to the, "it wouldn't be fair to the Sedins to rebuild" mantra, Linden?

Linden only has himself to blame for refusing to utter the word, rebuild. Its become a spectacle, which he now wears. Using every re-synonym in the book along the way, he finally uses the word that you, presumably, had on your lips all along. Why shouldn't fans raise an eyebrow at his semantics? He has a surefire future in politics after this gig. 

Give it a rest.  

You and some portion of the media are as mature as 8 year olds asking for ice cream.  

Stop clinging on to words and look at the actions.  

The only thing that you can blame is the Canucks' 14-15 team that got 101 points and gave management false hope.

9 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Still, you and I and the next fan will all agree that these are exciting days to be a fan. 

Sure, we're coming in later than hoped to the true rebuild, but we're finally here and we finally have hit the part of the cycle where the new core will be drafted from with top 5 picks for the next few years, we hope. 

I can't wait for April 29 and to see what JB does in trade to acquire extra picks to go into the draft with, like any good rebuild strategy would employ. 

I would forego trying to load up on this draft and try and snag picks in next years draft, which by all accounts is deeper with less unknowns.

Maybe Benning can cash in on some pre/post expansion draft moves after teams find out who LV takes.

3 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Some people think we lost the trade to get him.

Some people think he's overpaid.

Some people think he's overrated.  

Some of it probably has to do with a 3rd liner being called a "foundational player."  

Is he a bad player?  Of course not, but he came in with a lot of hype and has had two terrible seasons since he got here.  If Gudbranson and/or Eriksson have another bad season they'll be in the same boat.  

Bonino was not going to do any more or any less than Sutter during the last 2 years for us, so really w/e . Being overpaid only matters if you are in a cap crunch and it forces you to loose players, ALA, the Hawks.

People are also over analyzing the word "Foundational" , one of the words that is synonymous with foundational is "Fundamental" . I would say having players of Sutter's ilk are fairly fundamental to a teams long term success. Think of what a player like Sutter would have done for Edmonton say 5 years ago.

Also, these "Terrible" seasons you speak of, lets look at them why don't we.

Year one. Injured for 62/82 games. Yep, he sure played horrible, it's like he wasn't even there most nights :rolleyes: .

Year two. Team wide tire fire, rotating AHL wingers, Injuries to D-Men throughout the year and he played through a wrist injury that obviously affected his shot.

So yes, maybe he was overrated, but by the fans who heard the Sutter name and assumed things.

He is a shutdown center who can provide 20 goals & 20-25 Assists. Can play on the PP/PK and in all key situations.

No different than Quads, or Eriksson I want to see what a full season with some consistent line mates and a bit more team depth can do for Sutter before I make up my mind on what we have in him going forward. Besides he can be traded in the last 2 years of his contract anyways, so whats the big gripe?

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

I like the word he was using better:  transition.

It's a good hockey word.

Rebuild is a mechanics terms - it suggest taking the same old block, pistons, cam and putting new rings, gaskets....

Transition is a better word.  Hockey word.

19 of 23 roster spots turned over regardless - so call it what you want - but gaggles of semantics gazers, too busy hung up on words, missed the fn 'rebuild' lol.

Newsflash - there's not much left to move.

If this engine were a hockey team though, the first bold section looks like a retool.

This second part is true but there's a lot left to improve. At this point it looks like Trev and Jim are building quite the Honda Civic, with still about 3 or 4 old and worn main component parts.

I like that Trevor finally said the word though, after all it is just a word.

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Larsen bolted for the KHL.

Chaput, Megna, Crammarosa, Shore could end up in Utica.

Henrik, Daniel, and Edler possess clauses that put them in complete control of where they go, as does Erikkson and Sutter.

Oops, I edited to add quotations around "Not much left to move" as that was repeating what the Old Newsman said. So 5 guys might not be here and 5 more, many would like gone, but the Newsman says there is not much left to move. So where are we?

Punctuation is my friend and things would be clearer if I had used it.

2 minutes ago, Riviera82 said:

If this engine were a hockey team though, the first bold section looks like a retool.

This second part is true but there's a lot left to improve. At this point it looks like Trev and Jim are building quite the Honda Civic, with still about 3 or 4 old and worn main component parts.

I like that Trevor finally said the word though, after all it is just a word.

It's a terribly ignorant analogy anyways; a mechanically inept version of "motor rebuilding for dummies". 

And transition is an umbrella word that can account for any and all modifiers. 

Its just a word, rebuild, agreed. Integrity is an expensive thing. Words aren't. 

Archived