The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

'Canada's Team': Why do we all hate each other?

3 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Don't worry, its PK's year. I hope he takes the cup back to the Montreal Children's Hospital. 

Man, would that be the kiss of death for management in Montreal? I'd would be like the Neely Trade, Montreal fans would never let it go. 

7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Man, would that be the kiss of death for management in Montreal? I'd would be like the Neely Trade, Montreal fans would never let it go. 

Nah, it would be the Roy trade over again. Franchise player gets traded because of his "attitude" only to go to his new team and win the Cup the very next year. ::D

15 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Bergevin deserves it. People rag a lot about Benning but that guy is a true dill weed imo. 

For me there is only 1 team, my hometown team, the team i grew up watching. The team that as a little kid had me wanting to play hockey so badly i begged my parents everyday to sign me up. I remember the first game my dad took me to, It was against the islanders. An AHL call  up named Robin Bawa hit a guy through the glass and the Canucks lost on a late goal when Pat Lafontaine was left open in the high slot. I remember when i was 8 and my team was lucky enough to get to play between periods. The Canucks were playing Tampa Bay and we got to be on Vancouver's bench. As we waited in the tunnel and the period ended all the players high five'd us and tapped our shin pads with their sticks as they walked past there was Bure, Linden, Ronning all the guys who would form the core of the 94 team that excited us all so much. At the end of the intermission I got my ticket stub back and it had been signed by Kirk McLean. I remember when the WCE took the league by storm and gave us one of the most exciting lines in hockey. And of course 2011.

Screw the rest, I only cheer for 1 team. Go Canucks Go.

I dislike teams that i feel are or have been favored by the leaugue    or if they are a dirty team. Like boston in 2011. 

Dont hate rivalries.  Most fans are just like us. Every team has there good and bad fans.

When i moved from vancouver to calgary i would go to the games there with my canucks jersey on and it was alot of fun. More fun than going to see the canucks at home.  I would pull for any american team before i would root fir toronto.  Really thats the only team in the league i wiuld use the word hate.

Always liked the sens. Like the jets.  Nashville. Washington. Philly. 

But when it comes to the canucks, its love.  

I do think its funny how the CBC assumes that Canadians will always cheer for the team based in the Canadian city. When most of the players on the other team may have more Canadians on it than the "Canadian" team. What that means is that one is cheering not for the most Canadian player-heavy team, but for the Canadian fans in one of the Canadian cities. So they can have a great big party while we watch....again.

Meanwhile many relatives, friends and whole communities like Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia whenever Sid the Kid wins a Cup, celebrate their own Canadian kid. And here in BC, when players brought the Cup  back to celebrate in their communities like Niedermayer, Sakic, Mitchell, and Lucic.

I'm not talking about if your own home town team is still in it, or even if you are rooting for an ex-player on a certain team. Just in situations where you have no skin in any game. In that case I love watching and being proud of how great our Canadian stars are on all teams. Imagining which players will be picked for the next (hopefully) Olympics. I don't base my choice on if they are above the 49th parallel.

As a Nucks fan from Chicago that's never been to Vancouver and Canada only a few times, I'll root against the other Canadian teams when given the chance. (Unless against Chicago) For the past 20 years it's always seemed like it's been us vs them, (Rest of Canada) in terms of my exposure to these forums and the Canadian media. (Years of the Center Ice package, and using TSN for my hockey news) To me it's felt like the rest of the Canadian teams were always sort of division rivals, so I feel no need to cheer for them now. 

It's because sports are regional, so I only cheer for Canada during international events. I don't care about bringing the cup back to Canada because that does nothing for me unless it's the canucks.  

The hated rivalry between Calgary and Edmonton is another reason to never want to see them win another cup. The arrogance of Montreal and Toronto fans is the reason to cheer against them. Ottawa and Winnipeg are the only 2 cdn teams I don't really hate. 

This quote below is a truism in sports fandom. I got more enjoyment seeing Ovi go home again, the Oilers losing and hopefully Kesler losing than I did seeing  any of the remaining teams I want win. The players I want to see win the cup this year are Burrows, crosby and subban, so I'm having a pretty great playoffs so far. Just need Nashville to win to send Kesler home! 

I am born and raised in Calgary and still live here, however I have never cheered for them. The canucks are my team and always will be.

I remember this playoff run for the flames I was one of the few guys calling for a ducks sweep and ppl didnt like it, they thought this flames team was the deepest in recent memory.

As for the cup winner this year for me its either the sens (burrows) and if they do fall short I would love to see Nashville win it, mostly because of what Mike Fisher meant to the city of Ottawa and how he came up short in 2007.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-05-11 at 0:43 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Agreed.   It is professional sport - it doesn't reflect upon your individual value as a human being.   

Thanks for the psychoanalysis lads. Two guys telling the rest of us that we have  inferiority complexes just because we happen to not cheer for another Canadian team. :rolleyes:

Sports isn't life and death here like it is in Europe or South America but we still do take it somewhat seriously, as evidenced by our postings on these boards.

Why take your intellectual marmalade somewhere else where others might appreciate your deep feelings?

Give me ten Alflives any day over your self congratulatory nonsense.

On 2017-05-15 at 8:34 AM, FireGillis said:

It's because sports are regional, so I only cheer for Canada during international events. I don't care about bringing the cup back to Canada because that does nothing for me unless it's the canucks.  

The hated rivalry between Calgary and Edmonton is another reason to never want to see them win another cup. The arrogance of Montreal and Toronto fans is the reason to cheer against them. Ottawa and Winnipeg are the only 2 cdn teams I don't really hate. 

This quote below is a truism in sports fandom. I got more enjoyment seeing Ovi go home again, the Oilers losing and hopefully Kesler losing than I did seeing  any of the remaining teams I want win. The players I want to see win the cup this year are Burrows, crosby and subban, so I'm having a pretty great playoffs so far. Just need Nashville to win to send Kesler home! 

Shannon Proudfoot sounds like the kind of woman that I'd love to drink a flagon of ale and watch a hockey game with. We could even have a popcorn fight during coaches corner and debate the wisdom of Don Cheery:lol:

Nationalism is stupid to begin with,

Canada only exists because the British empire wanted to keep the Hudson Bay company and trade routes it had established open on this continent. This country was created as part of a business deal, and in 2017, the country doesn't even make sense anymore.

Why are we politically tied to the maritimes? What does Quebec have in common with us politically? Nothing. We are a reservoir of natural resources that is currently being divided up between  Chinese interests by crooked politicians who aren't even trying to hide the fact that they are working for someone other than their electorate.

But I'm suppose to go YAY Canada! Hockey!!

There is no Canada, if you don't know that already, you will find out soon enough

16 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Thanks for the psychoanalysis lads. Two guys telling the rest of us that we have  inferiority complexes just because we happen to not cheer for another Canadian team. :rolleyes:

Sports isn't life and death here like it is in Europe or South America but we still do take it somewhat seriously, as evidenced by our postings on these boards.

Why take your intellectual marmalade somewhere else where others might appreciate your deep feelings?

Give me ten Alflives any day over your self congratulatory nonsense.

Wow, insecure much?

Honestly, I hate most Canadian teams more than American ones minus BOS. Could care less about the cup coming to Canada BS unless it's Vancouver.

Toronto - Hate their players. Martin, Lupul and especially Kadri.

Ottawa - Don't mind Ottawa. Really want to see Burrows win a cup.

Winnipeg - Don't mind them.

Montreal - Don't mind them.

Calgary - They're rivals, hate Tkachuk, Ferland

Edmonton - Rivals honestly more jealous that they got McDavid and Draisaitl. Love seeing them fail.

Seems like I'm one of the few but I'd prefer to see a Canadian based franchise win the Stanley Cup. Partly because it's going on 24 years since it's happened but more so to see if such a feat is even possible in the Bettman era. The conspiracy theorist in me wants to know if a team from north of the border is actually allowed to go all the way.

Archived