The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, J-Dizzle said:

I was cheesed we didn't take Glass.  Still a long ways to go in these guys' development but boy does Pettersson look good! 

Me too, but man oh man does he look good. If he continues this development path, we will totally forget about all the drafts we felt screwed.

10 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Vanek would have to score close to 30 goals this year to be wanted back...giveaway's and lack of speed for D.,...I don't see him coming back.

The Sedins only come back if we make the playoffs this year and they are relevant in getting us there....

Really I see Elias and Adam G. making the team next year and probably Goldy as well unless we trade him....so it may come down to do we want Vanek and the Sedins (or Gagner, Burmistrov or even Sutter) or those 3 kids....

I want the kids....

Baer / Bo / Boeser    .....this line is gelling already....

Rodin / Pettersson / Goldy  ....this line will score some sick goals ...may need to swap Jake for Goldy for some teams)

Granlund / Gaudette / Virtanen ....this line will hound the puck....and score goals and knock people over....

Gaunce or Eriksson  / Sutter or Gaunce  / Dorsett .....Gaunce can do what Granlund is doing for this line this year and add some size....

Gagner ( probably traded ), Eriksson ....what to do with Eriksson....

Granlund

like I said, vanek is interchangeable. the sedins, as well, could be replaced by baertschi on pp1 and granlund on pp2.

i also feel like you're one of the many who fail to realize that this management team isn't going to suddenly pull an about face and decide they don't want veterans in the lineup. there's no way pettersson, gaudette and goldobin all make the team on top of boeser, virtanen, stecher, maybe juolevi, etc. 

rest assured that if the sedins and vanek don't return, there will be other players in their late twenties brought in to replace them. unless, of course, management doesn't return. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

To be fair though, messier's_elbow did come around to the Pettersson pick very quickly and is now a big supporter of Elias.

Absolutely, and there were many like him.... Only few's first reaction was 'Yeahhh'.

But once the the smoke had settled, and people spoke about Petterson, most of us actually liked the fact Benning took a swing, at what could still be a boom or bust prospect. Different if there had been a generational talent at no. 5.... or maybe there was after all, and we just didn't know. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

like I said, vanek is interchangeable. the sedins, as well, could be replaced by baertschi on pp1 and granlund on pp2.

i also feel like you're one of the many who fail to realize that this management team isn't going to suddenly pull an about face and decide they don't want veterans in the lineup. there's no way pettersson, gaudette and goldobin all make the team on top of boeser, virtanen, stecher, maybe juolevi, etc. 

rest assured that if the sedins and vanek don't return, there will be other players in their late twenties brought in to replace them. unless, of course, management doesn't return. 

You're probably right about the team wanting some vets but we are putting ourselfs into a bit of a pickle. Goldy needs to clear waivers next year and he's showcasing he has some high end skill. So unless he regresses this year and we think we can sneak him through waivers, he's likely playing in the NHL next year. 

If Gaudette is ready (and he's on pace to follow the same steps as Brock) it will be hard to send him back.  Same can be said with Pettersson. 

Maybe we see some trades that open up room and allow us to take on vet but.  If the kids are ready, they are ready, so i wouldn't be against it. And if you think about it, some of the other players may not be vets but they aren't that young anymore.  This time next year Baertschi, Granlund, Stecher and Hutton are 25, Sutter, Tanev and gagner will be 29, Guddy will be 27.  Horvat will be 23 (at 23 toews already was the captain, won a cup, goal medal and a conn smythe). So i'm not sure how important it will be to have that "vet" leadership.  the 2008-09 hawks come to mind, they had 4 rookies on that roster and only 3 players, that played more than 25 games, were over the age of 29 and two of those players were goalies. 

Just for giggles since I needed to kill the last half hour of work, i thought I would compare roster ages. 

Hawks roster in 2008-09 (players that played over 20 games)

Players 25 and under- Toews(20), Kane(20), Bolland(22), Barker(22), Seabrook(23), Ladd(23), Byfuglien(23), Wisniewski(24), Keith(25), Eager(25), Johnson(25)

Rookies -Hjalmarsson, Versteeg, Brouwer, Fraser

Players over 26-29 -Burish(26), Havlat(27), Sharp(27), Walker(28), Campbell(29),

Players over 30 -Adams(31),  Huet(33), Khabibulin(36)

Canucks possible roster next year

Players 25 and under -Baertschi(25), Granlund(25), Pouliot(25), Hutton(25), Stecher(24), Horvat(23), Virtanen(22), Boeser(21)

Rookies -Gaudette, Pettersson, Goldobin

Players over 26-29 - Tanev(29), Gagner(29), Sutter(29), Markstrom(28), Del Zotto(28), Nilsson(28), Burmistrov(27), Gudbranson(27), Rodin(27)

Players over 30 - Eriksson(33), Dorsett(32), Edler(32)

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat
  • Upvote 2

D. Sedin - Retire

H. Sedin - Retire

Edler - TDL trade (picks)

Vanek - TDL trade (picks)

Hutton - TDL trade (picks)

Burmistrov - TDL trade (picks)

Wiercioch - Walk

Rodin - Back to Sweden

Room for Goldobin, Pettersson, Gaudette, Dahlen, Juolevi and maybe Chatfield.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

D. Sedin - Retire

H. Sedin - Retire

Edler - TDL trade (picks)

Vanek - TDL trade (picks)

Hutton - TDL trade (picks)

Burmistrov - TDL trade (picks)

Wiercioch - Walk

Rodin - Back to Sweden

Room for Goldobin, Pettersson, Gaudette, Dahlen, Juolevi and maybe Chatfield.

you're dreaming my friend. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Pure talent-wise, yes.  But in overall play I would say that Gaudette was clearly the best and most NHL-ready of any player.  Of course, he was a year or two older than most but it was obvious he was at a different level, even moreso than Brock.  Exciting times ahead, and very soon.

We are on the same page. Pure talent wise Elias was awesome.  Gaudette was a surprise and made a great impression on me. Wouldn't it be amazing if Gaudette can become 1C allowing Elias to play wing for us. Boom goes the dynamite lol. 

So we've already come to the conclusion that Pettersson won't be a C now?

That bothers me. Pushes our rebuild back a year, considering that Horvat isn't a no 1 center and Gaudette hasn't proven anything yet (He may become a top 6 center, but it's a long shot we can't expect it to happen.)

Personally, I'd put Pettersson in Utica for a season and have him play center there to a) Adjust to the position, and B] Adjust to the NA ice size. In the long run I think that's the way to go, rather than blowing our load and slotting him into the lineup on the wing right away.

Anyways, another huge game for Pettersson B)

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Upvote 1