The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

12 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So we've already come to the conclusion that Pettersson won't be a C now?

Anyways, another huge game for Pettersson B)

He may absolutely become a 1C. However if Gaudette is capable of being 1C then Elias slots in at wing and we've got some magic happening with Boeser and Horvat in the mix. That'

Pettersson was drafted as a centre.  I would be very surprised if Benning used him as a winger.

In the SHL, they feel that to insert Pettersson to the top 6 as a centre is too big of a leap for a 165 lb 18 year old.  It's how they plan on developing him.  I have heard nothing about this being a permanent thing.  I am not concerned at all.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

He may absolutely become a 1C. However if Gaudette is capable of being 1C then Elias slots in at wing and we've got some magic happening with Boeser and Horvat in the mix. That'

While this is all true, I don't know if we can depend on Gaudette becoming a top line or even a top 6 center. Makes me think we might need to go out and get another center if Pettersson at wing sticks.

So for those of you keeping better tabs on the games than I am, is Pettersson playing RW or LW?

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot

On 2017-06-23 at 10:17 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"He's a smart kid, thoughtful and humble - he has everything we wanted in a player today." - Benning

On 2017-06-23 at 10:16 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"The way Elias thinks the game is great, plus his skill & shot, and he makes those around him better." - Benning

JB was dead on with his analysis on EP

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

D. Sedin - Retire

H. Sedin - Retire

Edler - TDL trade (picks)

Vanek - TDL trade (picks)

Hutton - TDL trade (picks)

Burmistrov - TDL trade (picks)

Wiercioch - Walk

Rodin - Back to Sweden

Room for Goldobin, Pettersson, Gaudette, Dahlen, Juolevi and maybe Chatfield.

Nooooo. Lol I'm actually a huge fan of this depth. 

57 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

While this is all true, I don't know if we can depend on Gaudette becoming a top line or even a top 6 center. Makes me think we might need to go out and get another center if Pettersson at wing sticks.

If that's the case there are options at the draft..

Tkachuk

Veleno

Kupari

Mcleod

But there's still the possibility Pettersson plays center here.

8 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

If that's the case there are options at the draft..

Tkachuk

Veleno

Kupari

Mcleod

But there's still the possibility Pettersson plays center here.

Indeed, but at the same time we kinda need another Dman too, and I think that's the more glaring hole in our pool right now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I agree and quite a few names that come to mind besides obviously Dahlen, for me there's Boqvist, Hughes, Wilde, Bouchard. 

I'm honestly feeling BPA still. Pettersson being competent in multiple positions only gives us more flexibility which is awesome. 

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So we've already come to the conclusion that Pettersson won't be a C now?

That bothers me. Pushes our rebuild back a year, considering that Horvat isn't a no 1 center and Gaudette hasn't proven anything yet (He may become a top 6 center, but it's a long shot we can't expect it to happen.)

Personally, I'd put Pettersson in Utica for a season and have him play center there to a) Adjust to the position, and B] Adjust to the NA ice size. In the long run I think that's the way to go, rather than blowing our load and slotting him into the lineup on the wing right away.

Anyways, another huge game for Pettersson B)

He's currently on pace for 47 points, and he notoriously starts slow...... maybe not an elite first line centre but assuming he picks up the pace like the last few years he's likely in the ballpark for the lower end of first line centre production.

Really have to give Benning credit. He absolutely made the right choice by selecting Pettersson. His skill and awareness are off the charts. At 18 he's already carrying the entire offence of a men's league. Just imagine what he will do for us when he's NHL ready... :wub:

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

He's currently on pace for 47 points, and he notoriously starts slow...... maybe not an elite first line centre but assuming he picks up the pace like the last few years he's likely in the ballpark for the lower end of first line centre production.

But do we really want to settle for a "lower end" fist line center? That doesn't exactly scream cup to me. Nothing against Horvat, he's a great player, but I see him as a really good no 2.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

But do we really want to settle for a "lower end" fist line center? That doesn't exactly scream cup to me. Nothing against Horvat, he's a great player, but I see him as a really good no 2.

I think he could still fall either way personally... if he uses his wingers a bit more (which he seems to be doing) solid first line production isn’t out of the question for him. 

Nonetheless, I don’t think anyone’s complaining if someone good enough to push him down a spot shows up in the next few years. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Look at the top line centre for the 2015 Blackhawks, 2014 kings, 2011 bruins, or 2010 Blackhawks. 

If bo horvat can turn into a 60 point centre with an excellent two way game and good face offs, he can be a first line centre

• Upvote 2