The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

9 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

I pvrd the game, just finished watching it.  Kid does not look out of place at all. He certainly processes the game just as well as any Swedish vet. The play by play guy loved the dangles, especially the move he pulled in front of the net (posted above).  Needs to get stronger on the boards, but the other positive aspects of his game overwhelm that deficiency.

I think EP will be the odd man out when the reinforcements come in from the Preds.  I say this because each time the game is close, or EP is perceived to make a mistake the coach benches him.  Today the Swedish coach benched him for a few shifts in the third period after Slovakia tied it on a 2-1 (I think it was EP's man/check that scored the goal)

He didnt see any OT time either (unless I was still half asleep), this indicates to me that coach does not 100% trust him and we should not be surprised if he is the odd man out.

thats fine, Green won't (and shouldn't) be any easier on him either. He may not have seen any OT time if he was experiencing fatigue from being sick. 

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

I pvrd the game, just finished watching it.  Kid does not look out of place at all. He certainly processes the game just as well as any Swedish vet. The play by play guy loved the dangles, especially the move he pulled in front of the net (posted above).  Needs to get stronger on the boards, but the other positive aspects of his game overwhelm that deficiency.

I think EP will be the odd man out when the reinforcements come in from the Preds.   I say this because each time the game is close, or EP is perceived to make a mistake the coach benches him.  Today the Swedish coach benched him for a few shifts in the third period after Slovakia tied it on a 2-1 (I think it was EP's man/check that scored the goal)

He didnt see any OT time either (unless I was still half asleep), this indicates to me that coach does not 100% trust him and we should not be surprised if he is the odd man out in light of the fact that 2 pretty good (and experienced) forwards are coming in from the Preds (Forsberg, Ardvisson)

EP was coming on the back check but I don't know if that was his man or not. I agree that the coach sat him for awhile after that. Sheltering him somewhat?  Also noted that he put him out on ozone FO's. I was very impressed with his game. He broke several plays out of his own zone and was handling the puck well in the ozone. HE was dominating the

#2 PP and it looked like they were doing their setup off of EP. He was deferring his shot to team mates which was a little discouraging. He hit a crossbar in the 2nd.   

This kid is very impressive. He dominates on some shifts. As Darius mentions the play by play guys were talking about him a lot. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Direct quote (well, as best I remember it and all profanity removed) from a CBJ scout watching the game with a bunch of us:

"This may be the most talented player, and I mean in terms of pure creative talent, the NHL has seen since Mario.    Crosby and McDavid are all-world skaters and have elite overall skills but neither thinks the game like Mario did.   This may be the first player to come along over the past 20-30 years that thinks the way Mario did.   It is insane to think about what this player will be at 22-24 with an adult body and a handful of NHL experience under his belt".    

Funny, I don't ever recall hearing anyone talk about Mario as an all-time elite thinker...I'm sure it's the case, but I don't think I've ever heard that before, it's always been his immense skill together with his size vs Gretzkys brain

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, ForzaTikare said:

Id say its his best Game of the tourney so far, didnt get a Point but was always dangerous when he was in the O-zone 

I didn't see it that way.   I thought he was out of sync with his other linemates a bit and I noticed he looked less intense on the backcheck.   Not sure if he was feeling "all there" as he looked on the bench a lot less animated too.   Heard rumour he had been a bit ill and I wonder if he was still having some lingering impacts.

Overall interesting observation so far in the games, his speed is easily NHL ready.  His head is already elite.   He needs some more physical presence for sure and he also needs to be more patient with less talented linemates (he is joining the Canucks, not the 80s Oilers).    Given that the better teams in this tournament would be upper echelon NHL teams (no NHL team has the luxury of McDavid, Barzal and Horvat as 3 or 4 C's you can roll out), and given that the bigger ice tends to expose defensive lapses (which is where young forwards often need work), it is very hard to argue with anyone that this kid is not ready for the NHL.   The physical presence will come as he ages a bit and his baby teeth fall out.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, ForzaTikare said:

No, he gave Nyquist an open goal in the slot with a great drop-pass that wasnt scored on and this try in the tweet above

I feel like that is a repeat story. He gives all these sick feeds, but no one can finish.

1 hour ago, nzan said:

Funny, I don't ever recall hearing anyone talk about Mario as an all-time elite thinker...I'm sure it's the case, but I don't think I've ever heard that before, it's always been his immense skill together with his size vs Gretzkys brain

Ya, caught me a bit off guard too but I am one of the younger guys in the group tonight so others pushed and he insisted that Gretzky was insane thinker but he felt Mario was as good or better and never had near the supporting case the Gretzky had and was, in his mind, a bigger talent than 99.   Blasphemy I guess to many but this dude thinks the game and has been around it longer than I have been alive.   Back to EP, he said if you watch the greats they all play with their head up but looking where others are not looking....and the best of the best always seem to be looking at the opponent net out of some portion of their direct or peripheral vision and he says EP does this more than anyone he has seen since Mario.    I find that insight fascinating and I will watch differently - you think you know a lot but can still learn....and I did tonight.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Looks like the Swiss tomorrow then Russia on Tuesday.  The latter should be a another good test for him; hoping he's still in the lineup.

Atleast for Switzerland he is, only Arvidsson will be joining before Tuesday of the Pred players

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Direct quote (well, as best I remember it and all profanity removed) from a CBJ scout watching the game with a bunch of us:

"This may be the most talented player, and I mean in terms of pure creative talent, the NHL has seen since Mario.    Crosby and McDavid are all-world skaters and have elite overall skills but neither thinks the game like Mario did.   This may be the first player to come along over the past 20-30 years that thinks the way Mario did.   It is insane to think about what this player will be at 22-24 with an adult body and a handful of NHL experience under his belt".    

This is what I have been saying for 8 months. He is off the charts with Hockey IQ and only 19. Can't wait for the season.

• Upvote 1