The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

Yeaahhhh okay nowhere in my post did I say I would be upset if pettersson plays the wing. In fact I think he would have a very good season if he played there. My point was that his weak FO shouldn’t inhibit him from playing centre, as many young players have very successful seasons at centre despite bad FO%. The decision to put him at Wing or at centre shouldn’t be based on his FO.

Of course it will be.  Draws are one of the two most important aspects of a cman's game.  You're not going to put a player at C if he can't win a draw.  Any coach who did would be fired........and spare me the McDavid argument, it's ridiculous.

If he can't win a draw, he will spend every shift chasing the puck and call me crazy, but I'd rather having opposing players chasing him with the puck.

Maybe he just had a bad weekend in the dot, but he wasn't good enough to take them in the SHL, nor was he good enough to take them.at the WJHC.........but suddenly, a little work with MM and he's going to, magically, be able to take them against the best faceoff guys in the world?

"I seen him lose 4 in a row"

There is no such thing in  English language usage as using "seen" that way.

I'm not trying to be a grammar policeman but just trying to help.  If you speak or write that way you will mark yourself to some people as being under-educated. The past tense of "see" is "saw".

The past participle is "seen" usually used with a helper verb such as "have", "is", "was"," are".

I saw the coyote in the park yesterday (simple past usually requiring a specific time frame-yesterday).

I have seen the coyote in the park before (past participle with helper verb "have" referring to an indefinite time in the past).

Just trying to help.

Edited by old guy
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

EP cleanly won 4 FO's in the 2nd game....while I don't have the stats ...I am sure that he was at least 50% in the second game which is a huge improvement from the first.

Also the Jets were beating everybody at the dot...Gaudette had a horrible night at the dot...I seen him lose 4 in a row in one period of play....so the Jets have better FO guys...

We have better guys....period...guys that can take the puck away after a faceoff loss....

Gaudette is unlikely to be playing C in Van (though he likely starts in Utica) if he can't win draws either.  

Just now, Hutton Wink said:

Then you can't imply that playing C is largely dependent on your FO%.

If EP can do what McDavid does, he could lose every draw.  It's a laughable argument to use the best player in the world as your example.

I have few doubts that with a cpl seasons of work with MM, he'll probably become a full time 1C, but from everything I saw this weekend and his lack of playing time at the position at the WJHC and in the SHL, he won't be taking many draws anytime soon

8 minutes ago, old guy said:

I'm not trying to be a grammar policeman but just trying to help.  If you speak or write that way you will mark yourself to some people as being under-educated. The past tense of "see" is "saw".

The past participle is "seen" usually used with a helper verb such as "have", "is", "was"," are".

I saw the coyote in the park yesterday (simple past usually requiring a specific time frame-yesterday).

I have seen the coyote in the park before (past participle with helper verb "have" referring to an indefinite time in the past).

Just trying to help.

I hear this every day, it drives me crazy!

10 minutes ago, old guy said:

Just trying to help.

Oh Oh! Look out CDC'rs We have an English professor onboard! Lord help us all!:)

18 minutes ago, nzan said:

He didn’t actually. He compared your statement against an example of where that statement is found to be untrue.

He compared EPs issues with faceoffs with McDavids and used it as an example to show why EP should play C in the NHL.  It's a ridiculous comparison.

I'll be thrilled if EP can get to the 35-40% mark and, at least, play at C a bit.  But if he's losing 70-75% of his draws, I have a very happy d time seeing him playing C at all 

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

Of course it will be.  Draws are one of the two most important aspects of a cman's game.  You're not going to put a player at C if he can't win a draw.  Any coach who did would be fired........and spare me the McDavid argument, it's ridiculous.

If he can't win a draw, he will spend every shift chasing the puck and call me crazy, but I'd rather having opposing players chasing him with the puck.

Maybe he just had a bad weekend in the dot, but he wasn't good enough to take them in the SHL, nor was he good enough to take them.at the WJHC.........but suddenly, a little work with MM and he's going to, magically, be able to take them against the best faceoff guys in the world?

Nathan MacKinnon

Evgeni Malkin

Mathew Barzal

Evgeny Kuznetsov

Jack Eichel

Jonathan Marchessault

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I never said anything about any other part of his game being deficient........but if he can't win draws, he won't be playing C

I never said you did say anything about other parts of his game.

I was simply stating another observation I had supporting my claim I think he would be a well suited center even this year. The discussion point at hand though is draws. My eyes told me he improved over the weekend. I could very easily be wrong, like you said I was. I simply asked how you were confident enough to completely dismiss my claim of his improvement over the weekend. I have not been able to find any score sheets after the prospect game yet to check the stats.

If we was able to make, even a minor improvement over the course of 2 games, I would be willing to give him the opportunity to show how much he can improve over the course of 82 with one of the greats in the dot coaching him.

Edited by shayster007

Just now, stawns said:

He compared EPs issues with faceoffs with McDavids and used it as an example to show why EP should play C in the NHL.  It's a ridiculous comparison.

I'll be thrilled if EP can get to the 35-40% mark and, at least, play at C a bit.  But if he's losing 70-75% of his draws, I have a very happy d time seeing him playing C at all 

Control of the puck of the face off is only won by a clean win by the center. A fair amount of face offs are won by the center scrambling the draw and letting his winger get position of the puck.   

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

Because Boeser's spot on the PP is on Edler's back hand. Higher turnover/lower completion risk.

Had nothing to do with not liking passing to Boeser specifically. 

nah he hates boeser :ph34r:

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think I'd like to see how he does at face offs etc over the course of the preseason before I declare anything about his game or where I think he should play.

I agree completely, but he just went through a weekend of faceoffs against the easiest competition he'll face going fwd.

It's not a shot or criticism of EP, he had an amazing weekend and I'm excited to see him play against NHL'ers.  But, faceoffs are, despite what some are trying to convince themselves of, a very big deal for cmen.

• Upvote 1