The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Two of those goals against were with Pettersson and Dahlen on the ice.  They couldn’t get the puck out of our end, you can’t just blame the D for that, getting the puck out is a six man job.  On one of those goals Pettersson turned over the puck at the blue line - how is that the D’s fault, the other was when Pettersson didn’t pick up his coverage - that is not the D’s fault either.  Pettersson owned up to that, which means he is focussed on being a 200 foot player, and that is good, but it doesn’t look at this point that he is entirely ready for the show defensively.  Gaudette, in contrast, does look ready in that regard, don’t be too surprised if Gaudette makes the team to start, and that Pettersson and Dahlen might need some work in Utica.  I’m saying that will be the case, we’ll have to see - the coming pre-season games will tell a lot.

i am really anxious to be moving forward with the young guys - but when they are well prepared.  I would like to see their odds of early success maximized, and that might mean some games in Utica.  Boeser and Gaudette both stayed an extra year in College, and it shows in the completeness of their games.

Gaudette was good, but unnoticeable for stretches.  People need to remember the competition in those games was just a bit above JR, maybe a bit below ECHL.  We'll find out where they really stand next week

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Guess Boeser and Barzel didnt get the memo 

Exceptions to the rule. What made Boeser's rookie season so incredible is the fact that we hadn't had a rookie light it up like that since Bure. It's not something that should be expected out of every player, and doing so wouldn't be fair to the player in question.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, stawns said:

He didn't get better in the dot in the second game, despite people trying to convince themselves he did.  If he starts at C this season, he'll spend the bulk of his time chasing possession.  Let him play W with a cman who can win the puck.

EP cleanly won 4 FO's in the 2nd game....while I don't have the stats ...I am sure that he was at least 50% in the second game which is a huge improvement from the first.

Also the Jets were beating everybody at the dot...Gaudette had a horrible night at the dot...I seen him lose 4 in a row in one period of play....so the Jets have better FO guys...

We have better guys....period...guys that can take the puck away after a faceoff loss....

4 hours ago, stawns said:

He didn't get better in the dot in the second game, despite people trying to convince themselves he did.  If he starts at C this season, he'll spend the bulk of his time chasing possession.  Let him play W with a cman who can win the puck.

What game did you watch! he was over 50 % on the dote. 

12 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

If a Boeser or Horvat goes down, which both did last season, I have my doubts that any of those guys are going to be able to jump in and take on the role that one of those two guys plays for any period of time. Can't just throw rookies in and expect them to have success right off the bat. Furthermore, even if our depth is better, we've still lost 3 legitimate top 6 forwards in the Sedin twins and Vanek and we've replaced them with one top 6 in Pettersson and a few bottom 6 free agents. Depth doesn't = quality.

Good god man...if you can't see the quality of our prospects....

You really need to open your eyes more ...these guys are all champions ...if BB and Bo go down to injury  AG and JD will be called up and instead of Megna and Boucher we will have guys that can actually come close to replacing the production...

We will be much better this year...

Book it...!

• Cheers 3

20 hours ago, stawns said:

I'm not sure why him playing on the wing upsets so many people.

Yeaahhhh okay nowhere in my post did I say I would be upset if pettersson plays the wing. In fact I think he would have a very good season if he played there. My point was that his weak FO shouldn’t inhibit him from playing centre, as many young players have very successful seasons at centre despite bad FO%. The decision to put him at Wing or at centre shouldn’t be based on his FO.

• Cheers 2

Give  him on full year practicing faceoffs  with Manny and he should be fine. Another thing he will need to work on is his work down low in the d zone. The bigger ice in Europe allows for cleaner and easier d zone exits. Defending the cycle will be a lot tougher on him in north america. I have no doubts he will figure things out, being the smart player that he is. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

Give  him on full year practicing faceoffs  with Manny and he should be fine. Another thing he will need to work on is his work down low in the d zone. The bigger ice in Europe allows for cleaner and easier d zone exits. Defending the cycle will be a lot tougher on him in north america. I have no doubts he will figure things out, being the smart player that he is. 

I agree, with everything you said.^

5 hours ago, stawns said:

So you have the score sheet? Because the first game I didn't remember him winning any draws, and I know he won at least 2 the 2nd game. I obviously could have missed alot but my eye test says he did looking back. I also saw him make some great defensive plays in the middle leading to either opportunity lost by the jets, or opportunity gained by us.

4 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

EP cleanly won 4 FO's in the 2nd game....while I don't have the stats ...I am sure that he was at least 50% in the second game which is a huge improvement from the first.

Also the Jets were beating everybody at the dot...Gaudette had a horrible night at the dot...I seen him lose 4 in a row in one period of play....so the Jets have better FO guys...

We have better guys....period...guys that can take the puck away after a faceoff loss....

No he didn't, and where did you get the 4 wins stat from?

2 hours ago, shayster007 said:

So you have the score sheet? Because the first game I didn't remember him winning any draws, and I know he won at least 2 the 2nd game. I obviously could have missed alot but my eye test says he did looking back. I also saw him make some great defensive plays in the middle leading to either opportunity lost by the jets, or opportunity gained by us.

I never said anything about any other part of his game being deficient........but if he can't win draws, he won't be playing C