The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

57 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:
11 hours ago, FireGillis said:

1 hour ago, Westcoasting said:
11 hours ago, FireGillis said:

That game just confirmed my thinking that he will be the best swedish born player in history!

That would be amazing for the future of the Canucks! But with a couple names like Forsberg and Sundin out there i just don't see it.

I like your enthusiasm for Elias I really do but I think your post would have made more sense had it said "he may well turn out to be" rather than 'he will be". He certainly projects to be a star player but he has yet to play a single season game yet so we will have to wait and see just how his career pans out.

• Upvote 1

Question for the more savvy CDC posters on this site: How do you go about deleting a quote you have referenced in error while composing a reply? I can delete the text that accompanies the quote but not the source of the quote. As you can see from the above post by me I originally misquoted Westcoasting as the origin where in fact it was FireGillis was the original quote I was wanting to use.

1 hour ago, PlanB said:

What exactly is/are these lists?  Looks like they're a year old(17/18),  or am I reading that wrong? Are they trying to say this year's predicted rank based on last year's stats?

They use formulas to try and predict each players best scoring season in the NHL based off of their performance in the SHL last year. I'm fairly sure that's how it works. It's not strictly 17/18 year olds as Pettersson is 19.

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

They use formulas to try and predict each players best scoring season in the NHL based off of their performance in the SHL last year. I'm fairly sure that's how it works. It's not strictly 17/18 year olds as Pettersson is 19.

I think PlanB meant 2017/2018. 

For those of you worried about Faceoffs and view that as the reason EP40 shouldn’t play centre this coming year...

the 2016-2017 art Ross, hart trophy, and ted Lindsey winner Connor McDavid, in his D+2 season, was one of the worst centremen at face offs in the whole league. He took the 4th most faceoffs on the team (behind RNH, Letestu, and Draisaitl). Even when draisaitl was playing on McDavids wing, he would still take the majority of the draws. Despite the sheltered faceoffs, McDavid still finished with a 43% faceoffs win percentage. 

Now, I’m not sayin EP is going to have a McDavid level D+2 season, I don’t think he has he skating or upper body strength to match that, but he could still be a successful centre despite his weak faceoff ability as long as he is put in the right situations. 

EP won’t have to take SH faceoffs, he won’t have to take PP face offs, he won’t have to take 6 on 5 faceoffs, and he’ll probably have very few Dzone starts, meaning he won’t have to take many Dzone faceoffs. His faceoffs can be sheltered even more by giving a centreman, say Sam Gagner for example, the RW position on EPs line to take the draws on EPs weak side. 

Suddenly, EP has the opportunity to be an effective centreman despite his bad Faceoffs, while still getting game time to work on faceoffs

1 hour ago, The_Rocket said:

For those of you worried about Faceoffs and view that as the reason EP40 shouldn’t play centre this coming year...

the 2016-2017 art Ross, hart trophy, and ted Lindsey winner Connor McDavid, in his D+2 season, was one of the worst centremen at face offs in the whole league. He took the 4th most faceoffs on the team (behind RNH, Letestu, and Draisaitl). Even when draisaitl was playing on McDavids wing, he would still take the majority of the draws. Despite the sheltered faceoffs, McDavid still finished with a 43% faceoffs win percentage. 

Now, I’m not sayin EP is going to have a McDavid level D+2 season, I don’t think he has he skating or upper body strength to match that, but he could still be a successful centre despite his weak faceoff ability as long as he is put in the right situations. 

EP won’t have to take SH faceoffs, he won’t have to take PP face offs, he won’t have to take 6 on 5 faceoffs, and he’ll probably have very few Dzone starts, meaning he won’t have to take many Dzone faceoffs. His faceoffs can be sheltered even more by giving a centreman, say Sam Gagner for example, the RW position on EPs line to take the draws on EPs weak side. 

Suddenly, EP has the opportunity to be an effective centreman despite his bad Faceoffs, while still getting game time to work on faceoffs

I'm not sure why him playing on the wing upsets so many people.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I'm not sure why him playing on the wing upsets so many people.

Well a centerman usually controls the game a bit more, I think people think he will impact a game more as a C. No rush, he'll get there eventually. 

4 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

They'll be in the mix....until they're not. One injury to Boeser or Horvat and we're finished. 

I honestly don't see how a team that looks basically the same as last year, minus the Sedins and Vanek but + Pettersson and a couple of 4th liners can be thought of as anything other than a bottomfeeder.

I’ll make it simple. We added more than EP and some 4th liners. We added Dahlen, Lind, Gaudette, Jasek, palmu, gadjovich, juolevi, and a stanley cup winner (beagle). 

This year, having an injury isnt as lethal as it was last year. We have the quality prospects and veterans to make up for those losses for stretches at a time. 

Being one of the most injured teams in the league every year, having added incredible depth makes our team better over the course of a season. 

We have options this year. Last year we did not. Simple as that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I’ll make it simple. We added more than EP and some 4th liners. We added Dahlen, Lind, Gaudette, Jasek, palmu, gadjovich, juolevi, and a stanley cup winner (beagle). 

This year, having an injury isnt as lethal as it was last year. We have the quality prospects and veterans to make up for those losses for stretches at a time. 

Being one of the most injured teams in the league every year, having added incredible depth makes our team better over the course of a season. 

We have options this year. Last year we did not. Simple as that.

And there's not guarantee that any of the guys you just listed will be ready for the NHL.

5 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Not forgetting about him i just assumed we were comparing forwards.

You were replying to this:

16 hours ago, FireGillis said:

That game just confirmed my thinking that he will be the best swedish born player in history!

5 hours ago, Yung1 said:

Considering he outperformed them at the same age in arguably a more competitive SHL setting, i dont see how you just dont see it.

Considering how many players whose career never quite matches what they did prior to playing in the NHL i don't see how you just don't see it or realize it may happen. Don't get me wrong i think he is an amazing talent at this point and if...IF he can do the same thing at the NHL level and stay injury free more or less for the next number of years, he could have a great career. Maybe the best ever. I don't think anyone predicted how good Lidstrom was going to be, some guys just turn out that way.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

I think you want to use a playe with elite potential in his best position. Petterson believes he is a center with the play flow through him. I say power to him.

First, you put him in the best place for success.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, shayster007 said:

I think you want to use a playe with elite potential in his best position. Petterson believes he is a center with the play flow through him. I say power to him.

Ya I say try him at center and see how goes. Trial by fire. Kid will take time to adjust but he is smart enough and should adjust. Does it matter? Perfect year to experiment. We are probably a lottery team again regardless. 

• Like 1