The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

11 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't think so. Petterson's weight is not what will make or break him making it in the NHL. His ability will, and once in regular season games with the full roster, he'll continue to improve and solidify his place on this team.

Soon enough this thread will be moved from Prospects to Current Roster, and won't be moved back.

You are correct. No way the kid spends any time in Utica. Name me one left handed shot on our team that can run a PP on the half wall better than EP did last night? His hockey IQ is already better than every single player on both Utica's and VAncouver's roster. I have a strong sense that TG does not want to appoint a captain this season because EP might be the guy they want leading this group. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

One of if not the most talented player on the team now. That said, i think he needs to put on a bit of weight before he gets on full time. It may not be the popular decision but I wouldnt be surprised if he is sent down for this season, maybe playing the 9 games allowed. 

Today's #ReachDeep Poll Q: Aside from Elias Pettersson, which Canuck player's stock rose the most last night?
Goldobin
Motte
Baertschi
Other
451 votes · 2 hours left

Becoming obvious to the media.

2 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

You are correct. No way the kid spends any time in Utica. Name me one left handed shot on our team that can run a PP on the half wall better than EP did last night? His hockey IQ is already better than every single player on both Utica's and VAncouver's roster. I have a strong sense that TG does not want to appoint a captain this season because EP might be the guy they want leading this group. 

Definitely either Bo, Elias, or Brock could be considered for the captaincy. Or Gudbranson, Edler, or Sutter.

I can't see any reason to send Elias down. His talents would be wasted in Utica.

My wife said the same to me before. And I did end up with a thumping hangover the next day too. It's collateral damage.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, cory40 said:

One of if not the most talented player on the team now. That said, i think he needs to put on a bit of weight before he gets on full time. It may not be the popular decision but I wouldnt be surprised if he is sent down for this season, maybe playing the 9 games allowed. 

Nope, not popular at all. lol

I think there could be a mass boycott of fans attending Canucks games unless Elias is on the team. We've had a teaser and we want more! He sure looks ready to me. He's obviously very gifted offensively, but he's also very good defensively. He's great with his stick, blocking passes, etc. He could surely put on some muscle, but being a wirey player has its advantages too. Some may say Pettersson should be in a winning environment like Utica, to help with his confidence, but I think Elias has enough confidence for everyone. If anything, I would think, sending him to Utica would send a negative message. Especially if the Canucks choose to keep a veteran player who's not as skilled (Granlund).

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

That’s why I think the Canucks ultimate plan is for EP to center Brock Boeser with either Dahlen or Goldobin.  Horvat and Baer will be a great second line for many years.  Then you have Gaudette and Virtanen with Leipsic as a solid 3rd line.  The future is now. 

Don't know how we keep Petterssen, Dahlen, Gaudette and Goldobin up though.  

Think we need to waive something like 7 guys if we do that.  And that is just forwards.  I expect we waive 2 or 3 d men too.  MDZ looked awful last night for one.  

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

I think there could be a mass boycott of fans attending Canucks games unless Elias is on the team. We've had a teaser and we want more! He sure looks ready to me. He's obviously very gifted offensively, but he's also very good defensively. He's great with his stick, blocking passes, etc. He could surely put on some muscle, but being a wirey player has its advantages too. Some may say Pettersson should be in a winning environment like Utica, to help with his confidence, but I think Elias has enough confidence for everyone. If anything, I would think, sending him to Utica would send a negative message. Especially if the Canucks choose to keep a veteran player who's not as skilled (Granlund).

WHy is my name on the above post?

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

1 hour ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hard to say... Maybe the fans that have been through years of struggle would boycott but i dont think the average person that goes to nucks games would. Specially the ones you see in the lower bowl on their phones the entire game as they dont know wtf is going on aside form it being (or use to being) the place to be. 

I keep getting tagged because i think some think what i posted insinuates that I hope EP doesnt make the team which is totally incorrect. I mentioned the size issue because the Canucks are not really known for being physical or having any sort of pushback whatsoever so EP could easily be bullied by other teams out there and hopefully doenst land in a situation where his skill could not get him out of a bone crushing hit. You bring up a good point as well about the winning environment in Utica and helping with his confidence whereas i think its pretty much agreed that this year for Vancouver is going to be another struggle. 

1 minute ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Hard to say... Maybe the fans that have been through years of struggle would boycott but i dont think the average person that goes to nucks games would. Specially the ones you see in the lower bowl on their phones the entire game as they dont know wtf is going on aside form it being (or use to being) the place to be. 

I keep getting tagged because i think some think what i posted insinuates that I hope EP doesnt make the team which is totally incorrect. I mentioned the size issue because the Canucks are not really known for being physical or having any sort of pushback whatsoever so EP could easily be bullied by other teams out there and hopefully doenst land in a situation where his skill could not get him out of a bone crushing hit. You bring up a good point as well about the winning environment in Utica and helping with his confidence whereas i think its pretty much agreed that this year for Vancouver is going to be another struggle. 

I get what your saying. And for many players you would be right. But EP is getting love from Eastern media as of last night. He is 100% on this team for the season through the good and the bad. The biggest surprise comes from with in the Canucks org. EP is strong on the boards and his feet, Smaller built players can learn from EP. Its funny how the smallish super stars seem to play the game with their heads and not try to bull people over. I doubt the struggle in Vancouver will be as big as people think. I am saying a bubble team that just misses or just makes it.

• Cheers 1

Since Bae and Bo are a solid pair together with very high chemistry, I would really like Green to try a line of Goldobin - Pettersson - Boeser tomorrow. That could be a lethal line.

A top 6 of:

77 - 40 - 6

47 - 53 - 21/9/18/88 (pretty much anyone that gels here)

Could be fun to watch.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Since Bae and Bo are a solid pair together with very high chemistry, I would really like Green to try a line of Goldobin - Pettersson - Boeser tomorrow. That could be a lethal line.

A top 6 of:

77 - 40 - 6

47 - 53 - 21/9/18/88 (pretty much anyone that gels here)

Could be fun to watch.

Goldobin - Pettersson - Boeser

Now, that to me, looks like a top line. I'd like Baertschi with Pettersson as well, but nice that there are options!

1 hour ago, cory40 said:

I get what your saying. And for many players you would be right. But EP is getting love from Eastern media as of last night. He is 100% on this team for the season through the good and the bad. The biggest surprise comes from with in the Canucks org. EP is strong on the boards and his feet, Smaller built players can learn from EP. Its funny how the smallish super stars seem to play the game with their heads and not try to bull people over. I doubt the struggle in Vancouver will be as big as people think. I am saying a bubble team that just misses or just makes it.

You are right; the love from the Eastern media is great if not very surprising and you are also correct about the way the game is played imo. That said, with respect to the bolded, I sure hope so (personally hate any suggestions of tanking on purpose) but am not holding my breath for this upcoming season. I think the following is when we really start making some moves in the standings.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Your boy Motte played a great game last night too. Unfortunately with this 1 game left of waiver eligibility he will be fodder for the farm. But no doubt he is tops on the call up list as soon as an injury happens. The guy is relentless in his puck persuit. He's a smaller version of Hansen, mini badger! I was impressed by him last night.

Ya, he looked like a decent player for any "Plan B" for sure.   He may end up being one of those under the radar moves that Benning made that come back and pay nice dividends.   Having Motte's in your organization sure is nice if you need someone who can play anywhere in your bottom six with speed, tenacity and seemingly a bit of offense too.

• Upvote 1