The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Zfetch

10 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

TSN just did a mock draft ....

...we ended up with Boqvist .....even though all 3 of my favourites were still on the board...Dobson, Wahlstrom and Bouchard

If we end up with Boqvist...you can count on him having 3rd concussion ...probably stepping up to the draft podium...with our luck....

If we take Boqvist over Dobson and Bouchard

you should be excited.

that means our scouts believe he's going to become a #1 Dman and I would be 100% onboard trusting them. 

He has huge upside.  

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Tkachuk is going top five for sure.  Zadina will be the one who falls. 

Why though? From what I understand zadina dropping on many scouts lists has nothing to do with him as a player. It seems like they have said they other players have just pulled ahead in the last month or so. In a case like Dobson, I can understand why. He had a great tournament, and he is the last player to have played meaningful hockey so it's fresh. What has Tkachuk, and maybe players like Wahlstrom or Bouchard done recently to boast their stocks of Zadina hasn't done anything to fall.

It seems to me like a bad case of the 'what have you done for me latelys'. It's been a while since we have seen Zadina player, so it's easy to forget how dominate he is. I still have him in the top 4, though have Montreal looking for a C at 3.

15 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

...we ended up with Boqvist .....even though all 3 of my favourites were still on the board...Dobson, Wahlstrom and Bouchard

If we end up with Boqvist...you can count on him having 3rd concussion ...probably stepping up to the draft podium...with our luck....

What a stupid thing to say. I usually don't mind your posts because you have no filter and it's usually refreshing but there are times where you talk out of your a**. Chill. 

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

My question:  is Dobson quick enough?  He's got slow feet.  I'm hoping he goes before our pick, so JB isn't tempted. 

Dobson can skate!!  Here is an excerpt from Canuck Army draft profile on his offensive play and skating.

With the puck, Dobson is as good as they come with regards to transitioning play up the ice. He’s a multi-dimensional threat in transition; owning a good first-pass that’s capable of springing his teammates on the counterattack to go along with sublime skating ability that allows him to carry the puck through the neutral zone. 

7 minutes ago, R3aL said:

If we take Boqvist over Dobson and Bouchard

you should be excited.

that means our scouts believe he's going to become a #1 Dman and I would be 100% onboard trusting them. 

He has huge upside.  

We got good scouts. 

1 minute ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

What a stupid thing to say. I usually don't mind your posts because you have no filter and it's usually refreshing but there are times where you talk out of your a**. Chill. 

...try to unread it then....

Look...all our prospects have been injured early on usually before they even make the team...it's just Canuckluck ...and yes it is stupid...but very real...

1 minute ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

Dobson can skate!!  Here is an excerpt from Canuck Army draft profile on his offensive play and skating.

With the puck, Dobson is as good as they come with regards to transitioning play up the ice. He’s a multi-dimensional threat in transition; owning a good first-pass that’s capable of springing his teammates on the counterattack to go along with sublime skating ability that allows him to carry the puck through the neutral zone. 

I accept that Dobson skates well (in straight lines) once at speed.  His feet are slow though.  He's much like Pedan that way.  Fast in a straight line, once he's at speed, but very slow on turns, and acceleration.  He's super smart though, so that could help him.  I just don't see him as more than a second pair player.  That's great, but I see Boqvist as having the elite skills to become a top end Dman, like one we have never had here.  

22 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I really hope he don’t pass on Dobson or Bouchard for Boqvist.... I trust JB though.

20 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Just speculating here, but based on the little quotes I've heard from Benning, I think he ranks the D who could be available at #7 as:

#1 Dobson

#2 Hughes

#3 Bouchard

#4 Boqvist

I think he will pick whichever is still available, based on that order.

I could also be completely wrong, but I think he's really high on Dobson.

I don’t think Bouchard will be available when we go to pick, it sounds like both Ottawa and Montreal have him as the #2 Defenseman of the draft. He only slips further down if they trade their pick away  or choose to go with a forward.

Would be a blessing by the Hockey Gods if Zadina fell all the way to our 7 spot. Only way that would happen is if Montreal reaches and takes Kotkaniemi at 3, Ottawa adds a defenseman in Dobson at 4, Arizona takes Tkachuk at 5, and Detroit takes Hughes or Wahlstrom at 6. A lot of ifs.

I'm starting to warm up on the idea of Kotkaniemi at 7 if he's available (but not before Dobson or Hughes). Horvat, Kotkaniemi, and Gaudette down the middle would give us crazy centre depth and a nightmare for other teams to matchup. That would allow Pettersson more free reign to generate offense on the wing. 

We do need a defenseman though...

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I accept that Dobson skates well (in straight lines) once at speed.  His feet are slow though.  He's much like Pedan that way.  Fast in a straight line, once he's at speed, but very slow on turns, and acceleration.  He's super smart though, so that could help him.  I just don't see him as more than a second pair player.  That's great, but I see Boqvist as having the elite skills to become a top end Dman, like one we have never had here.  

I am on board with whoever Trader Jim picks, but I agree on Boqvist having higher upside, the kid has an elite shot and skating, and will have an extra year of development... man he can flat out shoot the puck, something we can all agree we need from the back end

2 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

Would be a blessing by the Hockey Gods if Zadina fell all the way to our 7 spot. Only way that would happen is if Montreal reaches and takes Kotkaniemi at 3, Ottawa adds a defenseman in Dobson at 4, Arizona takes Tkachuk at 5, and Detroit takes Hughes or Wahlstrom at 6. A lot of ifs.

I'm starting to warm up on the idea of Kotkaniemi at 7 if he's available (but not before Dobson or Hughes). Horvat, Kotkaniemi, and Gaudette down the middle would give us crazy centre depth and a nightmare for other teams to matchup. That would allow Pettersson more free reign to generate offense on the wing. 

We do need a defenseman though...

I would love Zadina. I think it’s a possibility that he slides,  but I have a feeling we are going to take Boqvist....

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Dobson killed the combine in skating...with the puck, forwards, backwards and without the puck in both directions ...he was the top guy in almost all categories for skating

I can agree that his first 2-3 steps could be quicker but overall he is right up there with Hughes for skating.

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Is there anyway we can pick boqvist and still make sure Edmonton doesn't get a chance to draft a good D man like Bouchard? 

TSN mock has boqvist at 7 and Bouchard at 10

I'm hoping if we don't pick Wahlstrom he doesn't end up in EDM, I would rather CHI takes him at 8, lesser of 2 evils.....  Could you imagine Mcjesus feeding the puck to Wahlstrom

2 minutes ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

I'm hoping if we don't pick Wahlstrom he doesn't end up in EDM, I would rather CHI takes him at 8, lesser of 2 evils.....  Could you imagine Mcjesus feeding the puck to Wahlstrom

Lol whoever they pick, let's just hope he's the one bust in the top 10.

Unreal draft this year. 3-10 is a crapshoot. 

33 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I don’t think Bouchard will be available when we go to pick, it sounds like both Ottawa and Montreal have him as the #2 Defenseman of the draft. He only slips further down if they trade their pick away  or choose to go with a forward.

I think he'll be gone as well, I thing he's lower down on Bennings list because he's looking for really mobile skaters and wants to build team with as much speed as possible.

Only reason I think Boqvist is as low as I think he is, is questions about strength and concussions.

Archived