The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Horvat and Draisaitl (proposal)

Horvat and Draisaitl  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With the contract of Draisaitl coming up, EDM is going to be in big cap trouble if they sign McDavid and Draisaitl to huge contracts.  

My proposal is simple, trade Horvat for Draisaitl.

EDM doesn't have to spend 22 mil on 2 guys, and VAN gets our #1 center.

Yes it sucks that Horvat will leave, but Draisaitl is clearly the better player.

The question is how much does EDM demand?

I'd be willing to go as far as a 2nd round pick.

Our first next year could be top 5, so I'd like to keep it.

Why wouldn't Edmonton just wait for an offer sheet to come in and either accept the 4 1st round draft picks that will likely come in or start trade talks with the team that initiated the offer sheet. Unless Bo and a 2nd are worth 4 1st round picks I think it is highly unlikely this would get even mild attention from Edmonton.

8 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Bo Horvat is the face of the Canucks future. If you look at posters or advertisements on Skytrain stations, Canucks website, Rogers Arena, commercials, etc, you see him as the main guy now. He is captain material, and should or will not be traded.

Saying this once isn't enough.

24 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

With the contract of Draisaitl coming up, EDM is going to be in big cap trouble if they sign McDavid and Draisaitl to huge contracts.  

Yes it sucks that Horvat will leave, but Draisaitl is clearly the better player.

I hate to say this as I am a huge Horvat fan, but if Draisitl were on the block and they were willing to deal for Horvat, I'd have to do it. 

After seeing what he did in the playoffs last year; not only in points but phyically, he is, clearly superior to BoHo.

He becomes our 1C and Bo becomes their 2C with a much more manageable contract which would fit their structure better. With the talent they have, Bo would easily fit. Makes sense for both teams.

I'm not totally sold yet on Draisaitl, as I still think he ride shotgun to McDavid...but I thought the same thing about Kopitar and he proved me wrong and I see a lot of similarities between the two. 

Also, if Draisaitl commands more than 8-9M$ already, I still think I'd prefer Bo at 5-6M$.

1 hour ago, Adarsh Sant said:

chicago says hi 

pittsburgh says hi

edmonton says hi and that they like the model used by these 2 teams

who have won multiple cups with it

they do not care about salary cap troubles

their priority is to win a cup .. not to have a neat and tidy salary cap structure as you assume

but be like tsn talking heads

create an artificial controversy based on an invalid premise

and flog it for all it is worth

48 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

I hate to say this as I am a huge Horvat fan, but if Draisitl were on the block and they were willing to deal for Horvat, I'd have to do it. 

After seeing what he did in the playoffs last year; not only in points but phyically, he is, clearly superior to BoHo.

He becomes our 1C and Bo becomes their 2C with a much more manageable contract which would fit their structure better. With the talent they have, Bo would easily fit. Makes sense for both teams.

I agree, and I think your points about the fit and the fact they just can't carry two huge contracts are dead on. I like Horvat and feel he will be an excellent player for us.  Elite 2nd line center floor, with a solid (but overall average) 1st line center ceiling, imo.  Draisitl is on a different level though; clearly elite - bordering on (or already is) a franchise player.  If all it would take is Horvat and a 2nd, I'd do that for sure.  Adding a first I'm not as keen on, but that's more my love of Horvat speaking.  Objectively, even that would be worth it; a franchise player is something we are lacking, and are likely to lack in the next several years. 

40 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

I agree, and I think your points about the fit and the fact they just can't carry two huge contracts are dead on. I like Horvat and feel he will be an excellent player for us.  Elite 2nd line center floor, with a solid (but overall average) 1st line center ceiling, imo.  Draisitl is on a different level though; clearly elite - bordering on (or already is) a franchise player.  If all it would take is Horvat and a 2nd, I'd do that for sure.  Adding a first I'm not as keen on, but that's more my love of Horvat speaking.  Objectively, even that would be worth it; a franchise player is something we are lacking, and are likely to lack in the next several years. 

4 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

So you are admitting that it would be an absolute steal if we were able to walk away with Draisaitl for Horvat but yet you wouldn't make the trade?

The homerism is really shining through on this one.  People get so attached too players that they wouldn't even want to improve our team.  This thread is CDC in a nutshell

Im not saying it would be an absolute steal and I would prefer Horvat as I think he is the more complete player (Drai would put up more points granted). 

I am a canuck fan but by no means a homer as ill call out the team for moves I think are not good. That said I also live in a reality where we are going to suck for a while while the team slowly rebuild, and complaining because we didnt suck for 10 years so we could draft a generational talent and/or complain because we didnt sign the biggest free agents out there this July 1st because it may have helped us climb into the top 20 in standings.

Because I dont trash on the franchise, the fans, the city, the management in each and every post (like some so called fans/clowns do) does not make me a homer. 

3 minutes ago, kloubek said:

If all it would take is Horvat and a 2nd, I'd do that for sure.  Adding a first I'm not as keen on, but that's more my love of Horvat speaking.  Objectively, even that would be worth it; a franchise player is something we are lacking, and are likely to lack in the next several years. 

Agreed, this franchise traded Trevor Linden and the pieces from that trade would help land the twins.

The only debatable one is the last trade. I feel like even with Draisatl this team does not have a strong enough core nor the depth to become a legitimate threat. Not having next year's pick to add to the core would hurt as well. Its a tough one for me. If they had the pieces to surround Draisatl I would strongly consider it.

35 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

chicago says hi 

pittsburgh says hi

edmonton says hi and that they like the model used by these 2 teams

who have won multiple cups with it

they do not care about salary cap troubles

their priority is to win a cup .. not to have a neat and tidy salary cap structure as you assume

but be like tsn talking heads

create an artificial controversy based on an invalid premise

and flog it for all it is worth

The amount of money rumoured for McD and the fact that LD camp may want to be within a million/season or so makes this significantly different than Chicago and Pittsburgh.

Further, to say neither of those teams has to worry about cap issues is to ignore all of the moves both teams have and continue to make.   Pittsburgh's have worked better as on paper, Chicago is weaker again this year than last when they couldn't get out of first round.   

Your comparing an actual bind the Oilers are likely in with some "artificial controversy" seems a tad disingenous given it is indeed a bind for them given the Lucic contract on top of that.   Further, with all due respect to LD, he is neither Malkin to Sid nor Kane to Toews.    

Archived