The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who will be the next Stanley Cup Final Opponent for the Vancouver Canucks?

ruilin96

Who will be the Canucks next Stanley Cup Final Opponent?  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 7/17/2017 at 11:42 AM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

The NHL Striped Zebras, managed by Count Bettman, and coached by one of Colin Campbell's proteges, who will continue to deny the Canucks as they have the last couple of times the Canucks have made the finals.

Now there's a guy who sees it as it happens in the National Hokey League under Bettman.  He's probably already informed Foley in Vegas to start thinking about the Cup celebrations they will host in the very near future. The lure is just too much for NBC and him not to make it happen.

1 hour ago, Johnny Shotgun said:

Let's not get too carried away here selecting opponents just make the finals again and beat who ever they face.  However the TO angle is a good one.  Can't see it happening until the mid 20's though. Sigh.

mid 20s... IF we get lucky enough to get some truly elite talent here in the next 3 years (during which I estimate we will be bottom feeding / draft lottery victims)

Without Bure / Linden 1994 never happens.  Without the Sedins / Kesler 2011 never happens.   We need stars or we can be like Buffalo.  Lots of great players, but probably won't win a cup with them...  Just look around the league... lots of teams with lots of great prospects...  you need really elite talent - Nashville I would say is on D - to win the cup.

1 hour ago, canucksnihilist said:

mid 20s... IF we get lucky enough to get some truly elite talent here in the next 3 years (during which I estimate we will be bottom feeding / draft lottery victims)

Without Bure / Linden 1994 never happens.  Without the Sedins / Kesler 2011 never happens.   We need stars or we can be like Buffalo.  Lots of great players, but probably won't win a cup with them...  Just look around the league... lots of teams with lots of great prospects...  you need really elite talent - Nashville I would say is on D - to win the cup.

I hear ya...but that's still 7-8 seasons from now.  Fortunes of war can change.  I'm posting with my heart not my head.  Quite honestly I think it was in this post someone talked about Bettman and Coly Campbell making sure it wouldn't happen...and I agree...one step further though that applies to ALL Canadian teams as long as they are there. Bettman and his crew are in NBC's shirt pocket.  And as for Campbell as a former Canuck his hate towards Vancouver must be based on the ridicule perhaps he endured in the shower over the size of his.....

On 17/07/2017 at 3:21 PM, gerry35 said:

The Islander's in 3-5 years. We'll get them this time ;)  

And the Rangers in 6 years, we will get them too, even though Buttman makes Messier a referee and NYR out PP us 150-2.  Horvat wins the Smythe and scores the game seven OT winner after three consecutive goals of ours are disallowed.. Messier takes a puck off the beak from a point shot and it bounces in off Lundqvists pad and in.   He's knocked out cold so can't disallow this one too.  

The war room in TO erupts and starts a minor riot, with Shanny at the helm, he beats up the entire building and initiates a coup with the owners.  Bettman and Dalet are tarred and feathered and left naked outside Madison Square Garden.

Lundqvists retires after and declares the series " the new best final of the modern era" which coencidentaly replaces the 94 series which still is considered the best of this era.

Messier awakes and makes a heartfelt apology to Linden for taking his captaincy and running him out of town.

Vancouver doesn't riot, and we finally get our parade.

5 hours ago, canucksnihilist said:

Absolutely.  The only team to win a cup without more than one true star that I remember is 93 MTL...won because of Roy and his record 10 OT wins.  Absolutely unbelievable, he was at the height of his powers.  Then he moved to COL and they won the first year there ( poor Nords fans!). Eight division titles followed and possibly best rivalry ever battling an equally loaded squad in DET.  One of those teams was in the conference final for almost a decade. 

Personally I believe if you lack elite goaltending you need at least a top ten number one, two or three stars upfront, one out back and a well rounded crew otherwise.

To me we have one emerging in Horvat, Boesser has a decent shot at Calder consideration, and Demko has a similar pedigree as Schneider at the same age.  IF those three pieces work out we still are going to need a PP quarterback (Schultz did his best Letang impression recently) and a solid number two-four.  

There's no exact formula, but to win a cup without stars appears impossible.  

I'm going to guess Toronto for the final. It would also be the first time a Canadian team will have won the cup since 93. They might have Matthews and Marner, but we'll have players like they had in Boston against us (Virtanen, Gadjovich, etc) and we'll just wear them down. ;)

Boston Bruins.  Canucks take a well deserved 3 game lead.  The NHL office of player safety then suspend half of the Canucks roster for standing still on the blue line while Boston players skate into them.  Game 4 rolls around and the refs start punching the Sedins in the face having already pulled Brad Marchand off (interpret that last comment any way you like).  Boston eventually win the next 4 games and present Stanley Cup rings to the refs, Bill Daly and Gary Bettman.

Archived