The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks in Shanghai/Beijing

Law of Goalies

Hi everyone,

As everyone knows, the Canucks will be playing in Shanghai/Beijing during the pre-season. Although we don't know which team (Team A or Team B) will be flying over, I have a feeling that for them to promote the game, they will at least have some rising stars play here in China.

The pre-order for the tickets have just been released, the link is: https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-china-games-tickets-on-sale-july-20/c-290435214?tid=280504338

I was wondering if there is anyone here interested in going. I am definitely going since I live in Hong Kong and traveling up to Shanghai is only a 2 hour flight.

We should all meet up in Shanghai or Beijing and go together to the game!

Hope to see everyone there.

1 hour ago, Law of Goalies said:

Hi everyone,

As everyone knows, the Canucks will be playing in Shanghai/Beijing during the pre-season. Although we don't know which team (Team A or Team B) will be flying over, I have a feeling that for them to promote the game, they will at least have some rising stars play here in China.

The pre-order for the tickets have just been released, the link is: https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-china-games-tickets-on-sale-july-20/c-290435214?tid=280504338

I was wondering if there is anyone here interested in going. I am definitely going since I live in Hong Kong and traveling up to Shanghai is only a 2 hour flight.

I am impressed that you are going to fly to Shanghai from HK for the game. I have enjoyed visiting both places, but it takes a while to get there when you count in time to and from the airport. Hope you enjoy it. I admit that I would like to see it. I hope it is available on streaming video (or something).

17 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Split squad with the Sedins and Horvat probably going there. You have to admit the Sedins are still the face of the franchise until they retire so to promote hockey they must go, both NHL and International wise.

Wish I could fly out!

It will be interesting to see how the squad gets split up. My guess is that the guys fighting for spots on the big team will stay while the China split squad will consist of a few high profile veterans and some guys who are destined for Utica, Junior, or Europe. The trip is a long way with significant jet lag and would put guys at a competitive disadvantage if they were fighting for spots on the Canucks. So I agree that the Sedins and Horvat probably go, maybe Edler and Tanev, along with guys like Lind, Gadjovich and other guys headed back to Junior and maybe Demko, who will be headed back to Utica.

I expect to see the forwards fighting for the last couple of forward spots (Virtanen, Goldobin, Rodin, Gaunce, Burmistrov, etc.) staying. I think it would also make sense to keep the new UFAs -- Del Zotto, Gagner, Wiercioch -- in Canada. They have enough new stuff to adjust to already, without making the trip to China.

30 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I am impressed that you are going to fly to Shanghai from HK for the game. I have enjoyed visiting both places, but it takes a while to get there when you count in time to and from the airport. Hope you enjoy it. I admit that I would like to see it. I hope it is available on streaming video (or something).

It will be interesting to see how the squad gets split up. My guess is that the guys fighting for spots on the big team will stay while the China split squad will consist of a few high profile veterans and some guys who are destined for Utica, Junior, or Europe. The trip is a long way with significant jet lag and would put guys at a competitive disadvantage if they were fighting for spots on the Canucks. So I agree that the Sedins and Horvat probably go, maybe Edler and Tanev, along with guys like Lind, Gadjovich and other guys headed back to Junior and maybe Demko, who will be headed back to Utica.

I expect to see the forwards fighting for the last couple of forward spots (Virtanen, Goldobin, Rodin, Gaunce, Burmistrov, etc.) staying. I think it would also make sense to keep the new UFAs -- Del Zotto, Gagner, Wiercioch -- in Canada. They have enough new stuff to adjust to already, without making the trip to China.

Don't you have to be under contract to play in the preseason?

2 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

There's games in Alberta scheduled in between the games in China. The Alberta and China games will def be split squad.

Yup...now the question is which players will play...excited regardless.  Definitely will be rocking our jerseys and I have a group of friends who will be going with me. We already have a Canucks Fan in Hong Kong facebook page. So I do hope everyone makes the trip!

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

That is somewhat true for flying to Beijing or Shanghai's main airports but for flying to Shanghai, there is an option to flying to the local airport which is closer to the city and much more convenient. Furthermore, the airport in Hong Kong is easy to go to as there is an airport express train that takes only 24 minutes from the CBD to the airport. Also, the prices are not that expensive as it is around 1-2,000 HKD (~ CDN$300). The only main concern is the delay but this can be worked out if you take the first flights out of China or take the flights that have better track records.

I think you are right in terms of who should go to the China games as I'm sure the veterans and even the ones who are going back to Europe to play, they can just fly there afterwards and save the costs..as I'm sure it might be cheaper. I am definitely hoping to see the high profile players.

1 hour ago, Grape said:

Don't you have to be under contract to play in the preseason?

1 hour ago, playboi19 said:

Try outs are allowed but prospects have to be signed.

Thanks for the correction. I had forgotten about needing to sign drafted players. I suppose it is unlikely that the Canucks would sign Lind and Gadjovich this summer.

9 hours ago, JamesB said:

Linden said their plan was to take the main team.  The whole idea is to promote the game.  For the Canucks it's about gaining market shares - in 2014 the Leafs already had more TV-viewers in China than in Canada.  So which team will new fans decide to follow after those games - Canucks or Kings.

It's probably better to have a strong showing as well as have players that will actually play in the NHL this season.  Promoting guys who are several years away or expected to play in another league does not really help the Canucks marketing wise.  The Kings are probably making the same calculations.

Also less time to learn the new system this year and the more they skate together as a team probably the better.

12 hours ago, Law of Goalies said:

Hi everyone,

I am trying to get 2 tickets for a colleague of mine who lives in Shanghai but the link wasn't working when i tried it - were you able to get tickets?

On 7/21/2017 at 3:56 AM, mll said:

Linden said their plan was to take the main team.  The whole idea is to promote the game.  For the Canucks it's about gaining market shares - in 2014 the Leafs already had more TV-viewers in China than in Canada.  So which team will new fans decide to follow after those games - Canucks or Kings.

It's probably better to have a strong showing as well as have players that will actually play in the NHL this season.  Promoting guys who are several years away or expected to play in another league does not really help the Canucks marketing wise.  The Kings are probably making the same calculations.

Also less time to learn the new system this year and the more they skate together as a team probably the better.

Thanks for the extra information. I missed that quote from Linden. I guess I can see the point of making a big effort to try to promote the game in China with millions of potential additional TV viewers there.

So maybe the top 4 Ds and the top 9 forwards and Markstrom all go to China. That would be more than enough include everyone with any kind of name recognition in China (or, frankly, in North America anywhere outside of Vancouver).

But I still think it makes sense keep the guys fighting for the last few spots on the big team close to home where they can maximize practice time and playing time. I assume that games in both places will be filmed for later review by the full coaching staff, but I think it makes sense to really focus on those bubble players.

The forwards fighting for the last two or three spots in include Burmistrov, Goldobin, Rodin, Virtanen, Molino, Gaunce, and Boucher. I am assuming that Molino, Labate, and other guys at that level are penciled in for Utica. And I am assuming that Boeser and Dorsett (if healthy) are penciled on the Canuck opening roster in dark pencil, so they might go to China.

On D, the guys fighting for the last couple of spots include Wiercioch, Biega, Pedan, Holm, and Subban.

So I think it would make sense to keep those guys to play the Alberta split squad games.

Archived