The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Flames future in Calgary

goalie13

All posturing.  Bring in Buttman to make threats about consequences and get Calgarians riled up and panicky over losing their team.  Don't get me wrong, I hate Calgary, but in a special "they're mine to hate" kind of way...and there is no way Canada and Canadians will allow another Canadian team to move down south.  Buttman and King can go enjoy a Burke ski pole and an aged Alberta steak while they relish in their narcissistic bliss. 

4 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Makes me appreciate the Griffiths family even more now; they built the arena without "corporate welfare".  Though I wonder if that in the end was one of the reasons why they had to sell (overextended themselves with the Grizzlies).

There was nearly a 10 year gap in between when GM Place was a concept to a reality. Plenty of time to raise capital to build the arena.

Personally, I miss having the Griffiths own the team, even back then they were one of the few sports teams still family owned. When they owned the team, it just came across much more of a blue collar team IMO.

This going to sound absolutely insane but with the closing of Joe Louis, Rogers Arena gets closer to being one of the older arenas in the league (the mid 20th century refurbished MSG is probably going to retain that crown for a long time to come) and the Vancouver housing market being what it is (it wasn't all that long ago there was talk about selling the land BC Place is built on for residential development), don't be surprised if a new arena issue isn't all that far into the future for the Canucks. Hopefully and luckily, the arena issue in Vancouver won't be a long standing issue at that point and I personally think moving the arena out of the downtown core will make things like the 2011 riots less likely to happen (or at least to that point). This wouldn't be an issue for another decade or two though so lots of time to think about it.

Personally, as many others in here have stated, I think its all a bunch of hot air. Calgary ties too much of its identity to that team so I can't see them just letting the team leave. The crappy part about that is the Flames ownership knows this and is basically extorting the team to get what they want. Pretty $&!#ty deal IMO.

Bettman should be questioning the ownership and not the city.

These guys sound just as bad as those loonies who moved half of the Minnesota North Stars to San Jose as a compromise to moving the entire team.

16 hours ago, on the cycle said:

The city of Calgary shouldn't pay for a new arens. The Flames should flip the bill, and Burke threatening to move the team is disgusting and completely unrealistic. Flames fans deserve better from ownership.

This is the same Burkie that kept saying we are one phone call away from moving way back when.

13 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Irrelevant.   Different cities, different priorities and an entirely different part of the economic cycle.   

Same province though? I just googled it and looks like the city helped out quite a bit. Obviously land is dirt cheap in Edmonton... same project would cost way more in Vancouver I'd reckon. 

At the end of the day, we don't need 1 less Canadian city in the NHL. They need to get this done. 

Total cost: The final tab is almost $614 million which includes the arena, the land, a massive glass "Winter Garden" that stretches over the street in front, a community rink attached to the building and a connection to the city’s light-rail transit system.

Taxpayers: The city is paying almost $313 million with much of that coming from a so-called community revitalization levy, which will see a portion of downtown property taxes redirected to the project. The city will own the building, but will lease it back to the Oilers and the team’s owner, Daryl Katz.

The team: The team is paying $166 million. Some of that is in cash, but most of it comes from rent payments to the city. The team will retain all the revenue from the operation of the building. Katz, in turn, has promised to keep the Oilers in Edmonton for at least the next 35 years.

Fans: Each person attending an event will have to pay a ticket surcharge. The deal calls for the proceeds to go to the city and be sufficient to cover the principal and interest payments, repaying $125 million over a 35-year term.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oilers-paying-new-arena/

2 minutes ago, apollo said:

Same province though? I just googled it and looks like the city helped out quite a bit. Obviously land is dirt cheap in Edmonton... same project would cost way more in Vancouver I'd reckon. 

At the end of the day, we don't need 1 less Canadian city in the NHL. They need to get this done. 

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oilers-paying-new-arena/

You ignore the economic times as well.   Calgary is hurting - bit time.   Without a significant and prolonged recovery for oil prices (oil sand oil included), it will be really difficult to see this being a priority over other social issues.   I see this situation as far different from Edmonton.

3 hours ago, StealthNuck said:

Not just Cowtown. Lets not forget we spent 500 million on a roof in Vancouver.

It was actually an upgrade to the entire building infrastructure, but yah that roof was pricey. BC Place brings in about $100 million per year in revenue though so the ROI is actually pretty good and has brought in new things like the CONTACT electronic music festival and some pretty big concerts, so at least there's a business case for it. Not sure that 1 billion for something in Calgary makes sense, particularly right now. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

It was actually an upgrade to the entire building infrastructure, but yah that roof was pricey. BC Place brings in about $100 million per year in revenue though so the ROI is actually pretty good and has brought in new things like the CONTACT electronic music festival and some pretty big concerts, so at least there's a business case for it. Not sure that 1 billion for something in Calgary makes sense, particularly right now. 

NeXt in west village was shutdown because of the land cost.  The east area proposed hasn't had the amounts disclosed but it would still likely be in the 890million range.  But if you consider that 200 million was going into to a field house, 700 million isn't really that crazy for a new rink.

And calgary isn't footing the bill, so i'm not sure I see the issue.

8 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

NeXt in west village was shutdown because of the land cost.  The east area proposed hasn't had the amounts disclosed but it would still likely be in the 890million range.  But if you consider that 200 million was going into to a field house, 700 million isn't really that crazy for a new rink.

And calgary isn't footing the bill, so i'm not sure I see the issue.

sounds like the city offered to pick up 1/3 of it in land value and cash. Anyway Nenshi pulled a brilliant move today threatening to make the negotiation documents public and suddenly King is fine with moving to the other area you're talking about :lol: Good for Nenshi, you guys have a good mayor there. 

40 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Calgary to Seattle. I won't lose any sleep over it. Obviously very unlikely to happen. Seems like Seattle is close to getting a team, NBA or NHL, very soon regardless. :P 

I guess some don't lose sleep over a profitable, full building and profit sharing team moving to a city where they will lose money, half empty rink and be sucking off the teet of the Canadian teams...

37 minutes ago, Stelar said:

I guess some don't lose sleep over a profitable, full building and profit sharing team moving to a city where they will lose money, half empty rink and be sucking off the teet of the Canadian teams...

Calgary is hardly one of the most profitable teams in the league. It was ranked 15th in the league of the most valuable NHL teams by Forbes last year. Seattle can field a NHL base just as good as Calgary honestly.

Probably gonna get roasted for this, but...

Whats the issue here?  A team wants a new building and doesn't want to pay the astronomical costs associated with a new building, so they're asking for money from the city.  Is this anything new?  Welcome to modern day sports!  This happens in EVERY league now...every team, in every city, in every league asks for help for new stadiums and arenas from their host city, why should the Calgary Flames of the NHL be any different.

I'm sure the city of Calgary makes a good amount of money off the Calgary Flames franchise, so why shouldn't the city help absorb some of the costs for a new building?  

20 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Personally find the mealy mouthed, league HQ wh*res the most repulsive of the lot.

Come up to Canada to start drawing lines in the sand? Pondering bldg-ultimatums? All that Cdn rev sharing hasn't been enough for these foul pigs at the trough?

Meanwhile, they've run what WAS a brilliant league into the ground. Sticking arenas in places that have no F***ing biz, nor connection to the culture of ice hockey. Bldgs that will remain half-empty, 'til such 'markets' go on a run. Easy to endlessly rebuild(or use as a cap sponge..ahem PHX) when no local fans give a shy*e what you're up to.

25 yrs ago if the Cdn markets separated from the ***holes down south(form a WHA, Cdn version), I'll bet the hockey would be a far better product than the rigged deck we've had to make do with.

25 years ago the Canadian dollar was dog sh*t....if you remember correctly, Edmonton and Ottawa were teams being bailed out by the league, so i don't think an all Canadian league would've worked.

And when was the NHL a brilliant league?  Back in '67 when two teams were given to California, and Vancouver was basically given the finger?  Was it a brilliant league then?  Perhaps it was brilliant during the Alan Eagleson era.....or the '82 towel waving era, or the clutch n grab-pillow n blanket era of the 90's.

I hate Bettman as much as the next guy, but if you think this era is bad, you obviously have no recollection of how wonderful the NHL was when it was ran by the league presidents.  You woulda loved them guys!

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Calgary is hardly one of the most profitable teams in the league. It was ranked 15th in the league of the most valuable NHL teams by Forbes last year. Seattle can field a NHL base just as good as Calgary honestly.

Lol, you mean the city that lost its basketball team.  

And i I never said they were one of the most profitable, I said profitable.  Profitable enough to help prop up the Hurricanes, Panthers, Coyotes and soon the LVGK.  

Archived