The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Re-Signing] Little re-signs in Winnipeg for 6 years

DoughtysCheck

The Winnipeg Jets have signed Bryan Little to a six-year, $31.75 million contract extension, according to TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger.

Dreger reports the deal carries an average annual value of $5.291 million, up from $4.7 million on his current contract.

The right winger was entering the final season his five-year, $23.5 million contract signed with the Jets in 2013.

He scored 21 goals and posted 47 points in 59 games last season. He has missed at least 20 games in each of the previous two seasons due to injury.

Little, a veteran of 672 games all with the Jets franchise, was selected in the first round of the 2006 NHL Draft by the Atlanta Thrashers. He scored a career-high 31 goals in 79 games with the Thrashers during the 2008-09 season.

Along with Mark Scheifele, Little is now one of two Jets signed through the 2023-24 season. He will remain the fifth highest paid Jet, behind Dustin Byfuglien, Scheifele, Toby Enstrom and Blake Wheeler.

He will turn 30 on November 12.

AAV is ok but term would scare for a smaller player with miles on him that is starting to see injury issues.   Four years would have been nicer but good for him getting this contract.

Amazing what 20 goals and not even 50 points for a player who isn't still developing/improving (and it likely well onto the back 9 of his career) will get you in today's NHL.   

4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

AAV is ok but term would scare for a smaller player with miles on him that is starting to see injury issues.   Four years would have been nicer but good for him getting this contract.

Amazing what 20 goals and not even 50 points for a player who isn't still developing/improving (and it likely well onto the back 9 of his career) will get you in today's NHL.   

Amazing what winning the scoring title in the regular season, and not even winning a cup will do. ;)

Wow... What a steal. Only a 600k raise... 

Winnipeg although a not so ideal city, continues to tie up it's player to fair deals. Are taxes less in Winnipeg versus Vancouver? For those earning athletes salaries I mean

It'll be very interesting to see how this team does this year. I have them playoff bound.

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Did you read the article?

"He scored 21 goals and posted 47 points in 59 games last season". Which means in a FULL 82 game season he would have been on pace for 65 points and 29 goals.  

21 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Did you read the article?

"He scored 21 goals and posted 47 points in 59 games last season". Which means in a FULL 82 game season he would have been on pace for 65 points and 29 goals.  

Yup, fully aware of this player.   Still think 6 years is a lot.   Nice player though.   Wasn't a knock on him - just the cost per point in the game today sure has changed.   

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

6'0" is small? 

The term is ridiculous, but as mentioned, Chevy and Co must feel as though their window is in the next 3-4 years. 

As for small? No.

3 minutes ago, Monty said:

6'0" is small? 

The term is ridiculous, but as mentioned, Chevy and Co must feel as though their window is in the next 3-4 years. 

As for small? No.

He plays small - I like the player, but I have always thought of him as small.   You think otherwise.  That's fine 

2 minutes ago, Monty said:

6'0" is small? 

As for small? No.

CDC thinks nearly every re-sign is an overpay :lol:

Yeah the term sucks a bit but that's the reality of signing UFA's. They get term and $. Deal with it people.

10 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Yup, fully aware of this player.   Still think 6 years is a lot.   Nice player though.   Wasn't a knock on him - just the cost per point in the game today sure has changed.   

Yes I agree 6 years is too much for a 30 year old. Just wanted to point out his point totals were significantly better when spread out over a full season 

33 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He plays small - I like the player, but I have always thought of him as small.   You think otherwise.  That's fine 

:lol: 

He doesn't play small at all. I don't "think otherwise", I "know otherwise". 

55 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

21 minutes ago, Monty said:

:lol: 

He doesn't play small at all. I don't "think otherwise", I "know otherwise". 

In a contest of words between a Canucks fan and a well-known, immensely popular and downright handsome Jets fan, I know who I'm listening to when it comes to about Bryan Little's game.

Always liked the guy, scores consistently, a little to fragile for the rigors of the Western Conference. But on a bigger team, this is Backes money we're talking - $5.3m is fair dollar. And with the cap going ever-upward, that will seem less important by years 5/6.

5 minutes ago, Captain Azzy said:

In a contest of words between a Canucks fan and a well-known, immensely popular and downright handsome Jets fan, I know who I'm listening to when it comes to about Bryan Little's game.

IMG_2021.JPG.fad47e9a7e6f586dadf910cac362c4d1.JPG

12 minutes ago, Captain Azzy said:

Always liked the guy, scores consistently, a little to fragile for the rigors of the Western Conference. But on a bigger team, this is Backes money we're talking - $5.3m is fair dollar. And with the cap going ever-upward, that will seem less important by years 5/6.

He's a consistent scorer, but his durability due to the game he plays, along with the term and his age, make me worried about those last 2 years. But that's the price people have to pay, now.

Archived