The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] acquiring landeskog

The_Rocket

To Van:

Gaberial Landeskog 

To Avs:

Baertschi, Subban, 2018 4th

In this trade we upgrade our top left winger as we currently don't really have any young players who project to be a first line left wing. 

Colorado gets a player to replace landeskog, albeit probably won't put up as many points, but also get a young defencemen who doesn't really fit into our future. The pick is just to sweeten the deal. 

Col is starving for defence, especially offensive minded ones and I think Subban fits into their plan better than he fits into ours. 

Sakic simply wants too much, at least to this point and imo he's now at the point of hurting his teams future. If he doesn't get a deal done for Duchene teams are just going to wait until he hits free agency, like us with Kane. Same with Landy, if he wants as much as @smithers joe thinks nothing is going to happen for Colorado. 

12 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

I agree with Joe.  All reports have been saying that Sakic has been setting the price high for any trades.  I don't see why he would suddenly change his mind and take your low-ball offer.

No one is going to want to pay high to Sakic. Eventually he will have to sell below value. At least in this trade he still gets something while shaking up the core. 

1 minute ago, Canadian Clay said:

No one is going to want to pay high to Sakic. Eventually he will have to sell below value. At least in this trade he still gets something while shaking up the core. 

Have to?

Landeskog is under contract for this season and three more.  If he is going to trade Landeskog now, he had better get full value for the trade as opposed to getting just something.

At this time, I agree - Sakic will feel he can get more than that - and he can.  Baertschi might have more upside at this point in his career, but isn't likely to get there imo.  Subban shows great promise, but may never even make it to the NHL.  From my perspective, fair value would have us adding a bit more... like turning that 4th into a 2nd.

While he is exactly the kind of player we want, make no mistake about it - he is NOT a 1st line winger.  He's an excellent, hard-nosed, gritty 2nd line scoring winger... at least on a decent team.  (For us, he'd slot into the 1st line immediately).

I like that you included Baertschi in this deal, since he would effectively take Baertschi's place - who is right now slotted in on the 1st but isn't a 1st line player either.

7 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Have to?

Landeskog is under contract for this season and three more.  If he is going to trade Landeskog now, he had better get full value for the trade as opposed to getting just something.

Landeskog is 24. The longer you hold him the more his value drops, and if Colorado wants to rebuild, they need to shed the old core. 

The oilers are a good good example of what happens when you try to sell your core to start over; you have to trade players for under value (see eberle for strome). 

Sakic is either her going to sell Landeskog at under value at some point or hold him for 3 more years, losing all the while, until he goes to FA. 

6 minutes ago, kloubek said:

At this time, I agree - Sakic will feel he can get more than that - and he can.  Baertschi might have more upside at this point in his career, but isn't likely to get there imo.  Subban shows great promise, but may never even make it to the NHL.  From my perspective, fair value would have us adding a bit more... like turning that 4th into a 2nd.

While he is exactly the kind of player we want, make no mistake about it - he is NOT a 1st line winger.  He's an excellent, hard-nosed, gritty 2nd line scoring winger... at least on a decent team.  (For us, he'd slot into the 1st line immediately).

I like that you included Baertschi in this deal, since he would effectively take Baertschi's place - who is right now slotted in on the 1st but isn't a 1st line player either.

Yeah I agree that 1st line is not ideal but I think his style of play, along with horvat, makes a very tough line to play against. 

I would maybe consider changing the 4th to a 2nd round pick if we also trade one our vets to a contender for a 2nd at the TDL

3 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

Landeskog is 24. The longer you hold him the more his value drops, and if Colorado wants to rebuild, they need to shed the old core. 

The oilers are a good good example of what happens when you try to sell your core to start over; you have to trade players for under value (see eberle for strome). 

Sakic is either her going to sell Landeskog at under value at some point or hold him for 3 more years, losing all the while, until he goes to FA. 

Yeah I agree that 1st line is not ideal but I think his style of play, along with horvat, makes a very tough line to play against. 

I would maybe consider changing the 4th to a 2nd round pick if we also trade one our vets to a contender for a 2nd at the TDL

Since when is 24 'old core'?

Yes, the Oilers sold their core to start over, but that happened long before Eberle.  The Eberle deal was more one of offloading an overpaid contract to create room for more capable replacements they already had.  The Oilers were lucky that the Islanders are desperate to win before they lose Tavares.

I like the idea of Landeskog here too, but I just don't see Sakic going for anything less than a cornerstone player to replace him.  He might go for Baertschi - Tanev & a 2nd, but I don't see him accepting anything less.

Raymond Ballard and a Second is a way better offer haha.

Landeskog, while his stats have hurt because Colorado is awful (you need defencemen that can get you the puck, and can keep the puck out of your own net, to have any real shot at good numbers), he is still a young two way power forward that can score.

Any deal for him probably starts with a decent roster defenceman, say Hutton. Add a top end prospect, potentially Lind or Gaudette, and add at least a 2nd round pick.

Basically, a not a chance in hell kind of move.

The reason Colorado might be willing to trade Landeskog is that he is just at the limit of the age group of their new core.  They are building around MacKinnon, Jost and Rantanen and want to get younger players and young Ds.   Baer and Landeskog are from the same draft class - they would want someone younger.  Also they are already wary of Barrie's ability to play defence so it's unlikely they would have interest in Subban.

Archived