The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] 16 Million to round out Top 6

With the Sedins coming off the books this summer...it leaves the team w/approx 16 Million(w/ Vaneks 2) to fill out our top 6 for the next few years.

Resigning the Sedins at this point makes absolutely zero sense...we have more "middle 6" forwards than probably any team in the league.

Many of them signed for much cheaper $$ than the twins will likely want for another year.

We are in kind of an enviable situation in having so many serviceable low $$ contracts with not a lot of "huge" raises on the horizon.

A hopefully a bunch of entry level contracts playing in the near future...

The top FA's that are at least in the mid 20's age wise are probably Tavares and Kane.

Doubt Tavares would consider the Canucks...but the 2 are exactly whats needed (1C/1W) till some of the 18-19 yr olds are ready.

The team is in dire need of some top line players....which possible Top 6 players may be available for cap reasons via trade ?

Think #1 priority is a legit 1A/1B center to compliment Bo till hopefully Petterson is ready.

Can think of RNH(if considered top 6?) and his 6m contract being available after this year...4 more years prob fits our timeline.

Haven't really checked which other teams are in a position to throw stupid $$ at Tavares.....but we are.

Have we finished kicking the tires on Duschene ?

I think our top priority is to be patient and give time for our prospects to develop.  Just because we have cap space doesn't mean we have to spend it.  Going after guys like Tavares now is just a waste of money and won't really get us anywhere.

If the Canucks are patient and allow this team to develop naturally, I feel we will have a real top contender on our hands in about 4 years.

RNH is a pass. Watch his playoff performance and was not impressed. If his line had any offense, the Oilers wins the ANA series easily. Might be unfair of me to judge him based on one playoff performance though.

We have baer, virtanen and granlund up for new contracts. Sven possible 4 mill cap hit? Perhaps a bridge deal for Granlund and Virtanen. Also, Stetcher probably gets a bridge deal.

Perhaps, next year we'll see more kids. I would like to see a big body in the top 6.

You don't win cups through free agency. You do it through the draft and trades. 

So like Benning did this past July, I don't want anyone signed for more than $3M or 3 years. Another Gagner + Burmistrov signing sounds perfect to me. (not E. Kane)

However, if you can sign Tavares, you sign Tavares. You don't pass up superstars.

57 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

However, if you can sign Tavares, you sign Tavares. You don't pass up superstars.

I think I would pass.

He is going to command a long term, enormous money contract.  The team we have right now is building towards the future and isn't ready to contend.  As good as Tavares is, I don't think he is enough to turn the Canucks into instant contenders.  If he was, the Islanders would have won more than a single playoff series in the time he has been there.  By the time our roster is good enough to contend alongside Tavares, he would be at the tail end of his prime years.

So that means, by acquiring Tavares, Benning would have to abandon his long-term plan and try to win it all in the next few years which I think is a recipe for disaster.

Not that it matters as I don't believe Tavares would ever consider a rebuilding team.  He has already played for one his entire career.

we actually have 30 mil to play with next season. 

But, there are decisions to be made on Granny, Baer, Jake, Guddy, Stecher, and Pouliott. 

Granlund is certainly due a nice raise, but I do wonder if Baer is going to be a casualty of Benning going for a big free agent splash?

Granlund - 3-4 

Jake - 2-3 bridge 

Guddy - 5 per

Stecher - 2-3 bridge

DP - 1-2 bridge

13-17 mil guessing for these guys. 

Still leaves us lots of dough for Kane and maybe Baer too, or someone else for big dough if Baer isn't brought back. 

Did a thread on this a few months back. Gave a few options. Agreed I'd rather see this be the twins' last go-round.

***That STUPID Lu-penalty!*** ...IF the #@&*in' league is serious about this crap, best to leave 3~4 mill of open cap, going into the next few seasons so that we can deal with this easily, if Roberto suddenly retires. This rigged deck league will try to screw over the Canucks, however they can, it seems.

5 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Did a thread on this a few months back. Gave a few options. Agreed I'd rather see this be the twins' last go-round.

***That STUPID Lu-penalty!*** ...IF the #@&*in' league is serious about this crap, best to leave 3~4 mill of open cap, going into the next few seasons so that we can deal with this easily, if Roberto suddenly retires. This rigged deck league will try to screw over the Canucks, however they can, it seems.

don't worry, Lu's hip is going to bail us out. LTIR almost certain, as sad as that is. We may have to trade FLA an asset to pay the cost of it but I don't know how many games that hip has left with his injury last year. 

Lu's not going to retire and give up the $, there's no reason for him to do that. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

don't worry, Lu's hip is going to bail us out. LTIR almost certain, as sad as that is. We may have to trade FLA an asset to pay the cost of it but I don't know how many games that hip has left with his injury last year. 

Where Van's concerned, HQ's seem to develop some nasty allergy to being consistent. Like their 'DPS'..nothing should surprise with these ***holes!

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we actually have 30 mil to play with next season. 

But, there are decisions to be made on Granny, Baer, Jake, Guddy, Stecher, and Pouliott. 

Granlund is certainly due a nice raise, but I do wonder if Baer is going to be a casualty of Benning going for a big free agent splash?

Granlund - 3-4 

Jake - 2-3 bridge 

Guddy - 5 per

Stecher - 2-3 bridge

DP - 1-2 bridge

13-17 mil guessing for these guys. 

Still leaves us lots of dough for Kane and maybe Baer too, or someone else for big dough if Baer isn't brought back. 

:o

I'd write Tryamkin a $5M cheque way before I threw that it Guddy.

Edler is the top guy at $6M right now but he earned that based on past performance. Guddy has not earned the $3.5 he's earning now, never mind a $1.5M raise. 

Maybe that changes by Christmas.... but right now, no way. Just my 2 bits 

The priority is to resign both Granlund and Baertchi, both would get a pay raise.

Another question is whether or not we are going to keep Guddy on a long term on a 4-4.5 million contract or decide to flip him to another team at the deadline?

4 hours ago, goalie13 said:

I think our top priority is to be patient and give time for our prospects to develop.  Just because we have cap space doesn't mean we have to spend it.  Going after guys like Tavares now is just a waste of money and won't really get us anywhere.

If the Canucks are patient and allow this team to develop naturally, I feel we will have a real top contender on our hands in about 4 years.

2 hours ago, goalie13 said:

I think I would pass.

He is going to command a long term, enormous money contract.  The team we have right now is building towards the future and isn't ready to contend.  As good as Tavares is, I don't think he is enough to turn the Canucks into instant contenders.  If he was, the Islanders would have won more than a single playoff series in the time he has been there.  By the time our roster is good enough to contend alongside Tavares, he would be at the tail end of his prime years.

So that means, by acquiring Tavares, Benning would have to abandon his long-term plan and try to win it all in the next few years which I think is a recipe for disaster.

Not that it matters as I don't believe Tavares would ever consider a rebuilding team.  He has already played for one his entire career.

It makes no sense NOT to spend to the Cap in this day and age. What would be the advantage to not spending it? Unless your a cheap owner who would like to save a few bucks.

There are roughly 23 pieces to the puzzle in building a championship team. Are we to wait until we win the draft lottery in getting a couple of top 6 forwards? AND then wait until they develop? I think Bo would be retiring before that happens.

You build a team with what tools are given to you which includes buying FA's. Like one of the pother posters said, If a superstar becomes available, you grab him. Does it matter how we obtain him? He is a piece to the puzzle. We have the available cap space because we have not drafted such a player and lucked out getting a Matthews or McDavid.

If we continue on this upward swing, we may be more attractive to FA's more then you think.

30 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

It makes no sense NOT to spend to the Cap in this day and age. What would be the advantage to not spending it? Unless your a cheap owner who would like to save a few bucks.

There are roughly 23 pieces to the puzzle in building a championship team. Are we to wait until we win the draft lottery in getting a couple of top 6 forwards? AND then wait until they develop? I think Bo would be retiring before that happens.

You build a team with what tools are given to you which includes buying FA's. Like one of the pother posters said, If a superstar becomes available, you grab him. Does it matter how we obtain him? He is a piece to the puzzle. We have the available cap space because we have not drafted such a player and lucked out getting a Matthews or McDavid.

If we continue on this upward swing, we may be more attractive to FA's more then you think.

3 hours ago, goalie13 said:

I think I would pass.

We have an owner that insists on spending to the cap each and every year....that is not going to change.

The thread was...how would you try to spend the money ?

1 hour ago, ArkDepot said:

:o

I'd write Tryamkin a $5M cheque way before I threw that it Guddy.

Edler is the top guy at $6M right now but he earned that based on past performance. Guddy has not earned the $3.5 he's earning now, never mind a $1.5M raise. 

Maybe that changes by Christmas.... but right now, no way. Just my 2 bits 

I agree on Guddy...but someone is going to give it to him. If it isn't us....will lose him for nothing.

Think he will be the first player on the current roster to be moved....don't think has been JBs finest asset management.

Would be trying to extend him south of 4.5 w/no NMC.

5 hours ago, nickels said:

With the Sedins coming off the books this summer...it leaves the team w/approx 16 Million(w/ Vaneks 2) to fill out our top 6 for the next few years.

Resigning the Sedins at this point makes absolutely zero sense...we have more "middle 6" forwards than probably any team in the league.

Many of them signed for much cheaper $$ than the twins will likely want for another year.

We are in kind of an enviable situation in having so many serviceable low $$ contracts with not a lot of "huge" raises on the horizon.

A hopefully a bunch of entry level contracts playing in the near future...

The top FA's that are at least in the mid 20's age wise are probably Tavares and Kane.

Doubt Tavares would consider the Canucks...but the 2 are exactly whats needed (1C/1W) till some of the 18-19 yr olds are ready.

The team is in dire need of some top line players....which possible Top 6 players may be available for cap reasons via trade ?

Think #1 priority is a legit 1A/1B center to compliment Bo till hopefully Petterson is ready.

Can think of RNH(if considered top 6?) and his 6m contract being available after this year...4 more years prob fits our timeline.

Haven't really checked which other teams are in a position to throw stupid $$ at Tavares.....but we are.

Have we finished kicking the tires on Duschene ?

With Draisaitl and McDavid locked up, I wouldn't be surprised to see RNH available this season, but will the Oil wan't something too substantial back?  I'd kick that tire for sure.

Elias Petterson is still a kid, way too early to mention. 

As for the Sedins, they could easily come back at a discount if they sense we could have a playoff run.  In that situation the abundance of middle 6 forwards become depth or trade assets.

The real trick is how do you get rid of Eriksson's contract to afford a guy like Kane.  CDC would explode if we overpaid for him.

1 hour ago, nickels said:

I agree on Guddy...but someone is going to give it to him. If it isn't us....will lose him for nothing.

Think he will be the first player on the current roster to be moved....don't think has been JBs finest asset management.

Would be trying to extend him south of 4.5 w/no NMC.

I think I’d want to keep Guddy. Big body, right handed shot, can eat up big minutes, and he’s still only 25. I think his AAV depends on how he plays this year, probably 5 years, 4-5 million per? He’s not easily replaced

Archived