The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Harvey Weinstein Scandal Leads to Me Too Movement

DonLever

7 hours ago, Dral said:

This is more true, the longer the time frame.... but sexual assault was still against the law 50 years ago... as a society, you are free to personally judge him anyway you want, but if he is guilty he should still go to jail

If there is evidence and he is convicted in the court of law then yes but if he was never committed and the accusations are just he said she said then I think that is unfair. If the law states that one is innocent until proven guilty then so should society.

Senior Disney music executive, 58, is charged with three counts of 'lewd and lascivious acts on a child' after being arrested for molesting two girls

A senior executive at the family entertainment company Disney has been charged with three felony counts of child sex abuse.

Director of music publishing at Disney Jon Heely was arrested on three counts of lewd and lascivious acts on a child, according to Variety.

Heeley, 58, of Santa Clarita is accused of abusing two underage girls approximately ten years ago. 

He was arrested on November 16 and released on $150,000 bail, Variety reported. 

According to an affidavit, one of the girls was 15-years old at the time of the alleged incident. Disneyland Resort in California is pictured above

According to an affidavit, one of the girls was 15-years old at the time of the alleged incident. 

The other victim was allegedly abused over a four year span which started when she was 11. 

Heeley pleads not guilty to the charges and vehemently denies the accusations, his lawyer told Variety. 

Disney said it acted swiftly and suspended Heeley upon learning of the accusations late Friday.

'Immediately upon learning of this situation tonight, he has been suspended without pay until the matter is resolved by the courts,' a Disney spokesperson said.

Heely, who oversees the licensing of music from Disney films, faces just over nine years in prison if convicted of the charges.

Heeley's Twitter bio states: 'Disney Concerts and living to glorify God in all things.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5162055/Disney-executive-charged-molesting-underage-girls.html#ixzz50zLrvDb6 

4723CA0400000578-0-image-a-51_1512802853149.jpg

4 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

Senior Disney music executive, 58, is charged with three counts of 'lewd and lascivious acts on a child' after being arrested for molesting two girls

A senior executive at the family entertainment company Disney has been charged with three felony counts of child sex abuse.

Director of music publishing at Disney Jon Heely was arrested on three counts of lewd and lascivious acts on a child, according to Variety.

Heeley, 58, of Santa Clarita is accused of abusing two underage girls approximately ten years ago. 

He was arrested on November 16 and released on $150,000 bail, Variety reported. 

According to an affidavit, one of the girls was 15-years old at the time of the alleged incident. Disneyland Resort in California is pictured above

According to an affidavit, one of the girls was 15-years old at the time of the alleged incident. 

The other victim was allegedly abused over a four year span which started when she was 11. 

Heeley pleads not guilty to the charges and vehemently denies the accusations, his lawyer told Variety. 

Disney said it acted swiftly and suspended Heeley upon learning of the accusations late Friday.

'Immediately upon learning of this situation tonight, he has been suspended without pay until the matter is resolved by the courts,' a Disney spokesperson said.

Heely, who oversees the licensing of music from Disney films, faces just over nine years in prison if convicted of the charges.

Heeley's Twitter bio states: 'Disney Concerts and living to glorify God in all things.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5162055/Disney-executive-charged-molesting-underage-girls.html#ixzz50zLrvDb6 

4723CA0400000578-0-image-a-51_1512802853149.jpg

Are Entertainment and Politics places for perverts to hang out or something?  It's like there is a new case every day!  

On 12/12/2017 at 5:10 AM, Alflives said:

Are Entertainment and Politics places for perverts to hang out or something?  It's like there is a new case every day!  

No, they are just the easiest to expose because a lot of people know who they are. The scary ones are the ones who no one pays attention to.

I don't know if I'm the only one who feels this way but As an issue, yes it needs to be discussed and actions need to be taken accordingly to make sure things like this don't happen again. I get that but what I don't get is why the press has turned an already vulger thing into something more vulgar. They are broadcasting it to the world in a crude graphical fashion and IMO that is very exploitational of the press to push the PG13 mark that they should be adhearing to. Can the story say the man showed or sent an inaproapriate picture of himself instead of outright broadcasting the actual body part in such a crude manner. Do they actually have to describe in actual detail of what happened? Children watch the news too it sucks right now when I have to keep the remote in my hand in the ready to turn the channel when this stuff starts to get too graphical. 

4 hours ago, smokes said:

No, they are just the easiest to expose because a lot of people know who they are. The scary ones are the ones who no one pays attention to.

I don't know if I'm the only one who feels this way but As an issue, yes it needs to be discussed and actions need to be taken accordingly to make sure things like this don't happen again. I get that but what I don't get is why the press has turned an already vulger thing into something more vulgar. They are broadcasting it to the world in a crude graphical fashion and IMO that is very exploitational of the press to push the PG13 mark that they should be adhearing to. Can the story say the man showed or sent an inaproapriate picture of himself instead of outright broadcasting the actual body part in such a crude manner. Do they actually have to describe in actual detail of what happened? Children watch the news too it sucks right now when I have to keep the remote in my hand in the ready to turn the channel when this stuff starts to get too graphical. 

I don't know Smokes, but I do remember the days when war was glorified, and young men volunteered not knowing what they were getting in to.  Then the news began broadcasting the reality of war, and people began to question its purpose.  Maybe that graphic stuff will get the dialogue going better for this 'vulgar' topic of exploitation?  Sometimes society needs one really hard shove to open their eyes.  

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Harvey Weinstein is arrested on rape and sex abuse charges

Harvey Weinstein turned himself in to authorities Friday morning and was arrested and processed on charges of rape, committing a criminal sex act, sexual abuse and sexual misconduct, according to the New York Police Department.

The charges stem from incidents with two separate women, the NYPD said in a statement, and were the result of a joint investigation between police and the Manhattan District Attorney's office.

Weinstein is expected to appear in court later in the day.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/05/25/entertainment/harvey-weinstein-to-surrender/index.html

• 2 months later...

CBS Tanks on Speculation of New Yorker Expose on CEO Leslie Moonves

CBS is plunging on reports that Ronan Farrow is releasing a New Yorker expose about the CEO.

CBS Corp. (CBS - Get Report) falls more than 6% on reports that Ronan Farrow is publishing an expose about its CEO in the New Yorker, which is due out Friday, July 27. 

Leslie Moonves, CEO of CBS, has been with the media giant since 1995, when he joined as the president of entertainment. Moonves became CEO of CBS Television in 1998. In February of 2016, he became a chairman.

"All allegations of personal misconduct are to be taken seriously. The Independent Directors of CBS have committed to investigate claims that violate the Company's clear policies in that regard. Upon the conclusion of that investigation, which involves recently reported allegations that go back several decades, the Board will promptly review the findings and take appropriate action," said CBS in a statement to CNBC.

The Farrow story is reportedly due out within hours. The reporter helped to kick off the MeToo movement with his reporting on Harvey Weinstein. 

This story is developing.

https://www.thestreet.com/markets/cbs-tanks-on-speculation-of-new-yorker-expose-on-ceo-leslie-moonevs-14664951?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO&yptr=yahoo

The latest big fish to get caught up. Moonves is a giant in the entertainment industry. Story hasn't even been published yet and Wall Street is scrambling. Ronan Farrow might be the most feared man in journalism these days.

Somewhere Charlie Sheen is laughing his ass off.

Just now, nuckin_futz said:

Yeah but he absolutely hates Moonves and is probably having a good day as a result.

That’s fine. People who live with “hate” in their hearts are miserable people to be around, most of all to themselves.

I’m sure his “good day” won’t last too long.

• 4 months later...

Add another name to the list

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/three-women-have-now-accused-neil-degrasse-tyson-of-sexual-misconduct/ar-BBQjCcL?li=AAggFp4

Three Women Have Now Accused Neil deGrasse Tyson of Sexual Misconduct

Kate Gardner

Neil deGrasse Tyson wearing a suit and tie© Provided by Mediaite, LLC neil degrasse tyson

Yesterday, allegations of sexual misconduct against scientist and celebrity Neil deGrasse Tyson came to light. Two women have accused him of inappropriate behavior towards them, including touching them without their consent and trying to seduce them. This comes on the heels of an accusation that Tyson raped a woman while they were both grad students, which had widely flown under the radar.

One of the accusers details how Tyson grabbed her arm to study her body-wide tattoo of the solar system, and then tried to “find Pluto” by following the tattoo into her dress. The other speaks about how, when she was working for Tyson, he invited her to his apartment and allegedly made advances on her. When she confronted him about it the following day, she says that he told her she would never advance through the ranks because she was too “distracting.” The second accuser did report the event to a sexual harassment hotline.

His first accuser, a woman named Tchiya Amet, says that he drugged and raped her while they were both studying astronomy at the University of Texas in Austin. She publicly accused him during a speaking event in 2010, and was met with dismissal from his fans and supporters, which is detailed in an interview with her that you can read here.

Despite speaking out on this on multiple occasions and even filing a police report, Amet’s story has gone mostly unknown. One of the articles on her, cited in the linked interview piece above, uses her spirituality to dismiss her claims.

The founder of the People of Reason and Progress, David McAfee, published both a story on Amet and the story detailing two other accusations of misconduct. In an article released on their blog, PORP states that

“Robust data clearly show that more often than not, accusers who come forward are telling the truth. As such, we believe that the allegations submitted by both women should be seriously and thoroughly investigated. We also believe that Dr. Tyson should be treated as innocent until proven guilty. We at PORP also pledge to keep our followers and the public well-informed on this matter as more information comes to light.

“The hyper-endemic incidence of sexual assault and misconduct in American society must be addressed with data and evidence, and those who have committed such acts must be held accountable. We believe that survivors will not receive the justice they deserve as long as we choose to turn a blind eye to accusations against those whom we support.”

We’ll continue to follow this story as more information is released.

Archived