The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Buffalo's Rhino?

Trading for SR won't improve our team given what we'd need to pay for him.

As far as it goes with local boys, I'd let them come to us as they go UFA, unless local boy can be essentially stolen. Like what I'm hoping for with E Kane this summer. He's not worth what buffalo would want for him in a trade, but he might rig the deck to come home.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Used to be high on Sam, but don’t see much in him now.  Buffalo knocked their Cap out of whack with the Eichel contract.  Sam might think he’s worth more than he really is.  

What Alf said...

Seems to have high hockey IQ(genes)...which benefited him greatly in Jr.

Don't see anything else remarkable in his game...

I've also heard this a few times. I would take it with a grain of salt. 

As much as I want to see Sam in Vancouver, it won't be cheap.

I feel like he has more to offer, he has the tools and skill to be a very good player in this league and I certainly hope we see him finally breakout.

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

One reporter mentioned that he heard Reinhart's name, but he wasn't sure that it was solid.  The assumption is that the Sabres are going to keep him and see how well he does this year.  Just like every other club does with guys on the last year of their ELC's.

He wasn't scoring at 3C so they moved him back to the wing last game and he got a goal.  I think it's safe to say that he is pretty much a converted winger now in the NHL.  He just doesn't have the reps necessary at centre to be effective there anymore. 

If he continues to do well on the wing for the rest of the year, the Sabres will want to keep him of course.  I think he'll most likely get around the same 47 points that he did on the wing last season and get an offer of around 5 million per on a long term contract, less if he decides that he wants a 1 or 2 year bridge deal.

Since you’re the Sabres fan here, what would you want for Reinhart and what is his value at currently?

10 minutes ago, Pears said:

Since you’re the Sabres fan here, what would you want for Reinhart and what is his value at currently?

Sure Sabres would take our 2018 1st (he was 2nd overall)...would never do it from Canucks end.

Would do Jake or OJ straight up though...

Wouldn't do Horvat, Boeser or Petterson

Tanev ..would do in a second only because of age.

Do Tanev and Guddy make Sabres a playoff team this spring ?

37 minutes ago, Pears said:

What I'd want and what he's worth is a young top 6 (from a good team) left winger.

The Sabres are flush down the middle and on the right wing, but need a young solid top 6 left wingman.

If he manages to up his point total from 47 to 55-60 points on the right wing this year, I'd rather keep him than trade him.

39 minutes ago, nickels said:

Sure Sabres would take our 2018 1st (he was 2nd overall)...would never do it from Canucks end.

Would do Jake or OJ straight up though...

Wouldn't do Horvat, Boeser or Petterson

Tanev ..would do in a second only because of age.

Do Tanev and Guddy make Sabres a playoff team this spring ?

Death threats are about the only thing that would make the Sabres a playoff team this season.  Even that might not be enough.  They've been playing some seriously uninspired hockey these first several games. 

Only the top line of Eichel, Kane, and Pominville are doing anything of worth so far this season.

If Kane continues to tear up the ice, I think the Sabres may actually try to keep him.

15 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

What I'd want and what he's worth is a young top 6 (from a good team) left winger.

The Sabres are flush down the middle and on the right wing, but need a young solid top 6 left wingman.

If he manages to up his point total from 47 to 55-60 points on the right wing this year, I'd rather keep him than trade him.

Hmmm, would Baertschi, Gaudette, and a 2nd suffice? I do agree Buffalo needs a top six LW and I’d happily package Baertschi for Reinhart. 

14 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I think left wing is where we are weak in terms of young guys as well. Unless you wouldn't mind potential top 6 LWs in Goldy, Dahlen, or Pettersson. Or a package involving Baer who might seems capable of playing top 6 LW. My money is Buffalo keeps Rhino. Still young, no need to worry about him just yet.

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Hmmm, would Baertschi, Gaudette, and a 2nd suffice? I do agree Buffalo needs a top six LW and I’d happily package Baertschi for Reinhart. 

The last thing that the Sabres need is another centre (Gaudette).  Baertschi, a young NHL-ready middle pairing dman, and a second would probably equal Reinhart's current value.  But depending on Reinhart's performance in the next few months, that value will fluctuate higher or lower depending on his offensive output now that he's back on the wing.

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

I think left wing is where we are weak in terms of young guys as well. Unless you wouldn't mind potential top 6 LWs in Goldy, Dahlen, or Pettersson. Or a package involving Baer who might seems capable of playing top 6 LW. My money is Buffalo keeps Rhino. Still young, no need to worry about him just yet.

Since it's his final year on his ELC, the new regime in the front office is evaluating Reinhart.  The only way that I can see him being traded is if the Sabres re-sign Kane before the season ends or they get an offer from a team that they just can't pass up that plugs some holes in the current lineup.

The last thing that the Sabres need is another centre (Gaudette).  Baertschi, a young NHL-ready middle pairing dman, and a second would probably equal Reinhart's current value.  But depending on Reinhart's performance in the next few months, that value will fluctuate higher or lower depending on his offensive output now that he's back on the wing.

you may be onto something there.  Baertschi and Hutton might be two guys this team would be willing to move.

7 hours ago, oldnews said:

you may be onto something there.  Baertschi and Hutton might be two guys this team would be willing to move.

And it fills 2 mid-level needs that the Sabres have and the extra second round pick can be used by the Sabres with another team in a small package or by itself to pull in a young third line left winger. 

If any team were to pry Reinhart from the Sabres, the time is now.  A new regime that didn't draft him and are still evaluating everybody.  The Canucks have the luxury of time to retrain him and turn him back into a very good centre.  Right now he's a wingman that can play centre in a pinch when injuries hit.

18 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I'd give up a decent package for him. 

The asking price from canuck would likely be something like Hutton + Prospect (Gaudette) + Pick, not sure what i'd do, i guess it depends on how sure we are that Pettersson is a center

15 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

With Pettersson questionable as to whether he'll end up as a center or a LW, I'd bite and offer up a pretty nice package.

Tanev + Gaudette?

13 hours ago, cripplereh said:

depends on the price but Bo i would never do that trade

Guadette,Tram and a 2nd 2019 is about all I would do

11 hours ago, Pears said:

:sadno:

I suppose a year ago it would have been Boeser instead?  Next year Pettersson?

And it fills 2 mid-level needs that the Sabres have and the extra second round pick can be used by the Sabres with another team in a small package or by itself to pull in a young third line left winger. 

If any team were to pry Reinhart from the Sabres, the time is now.  A new regime that didn't draft him and are still evaluating everybody.  The Canucks have the luxury of time to retrain him and turn him back into a very good centre.  Right now he's a wingman that can play centre in a pinch when injuries hit.

my personal opinion - although I like Baertschi, and think Hutton will be a very good defenseman when he grows out of this sophomore stage - is that that's probably still a bad move for Buffalo, although you know more about that club than I do.  I'd be very tempted to take that deal from a Canucks perspective - Edler, MDZ, Pouliot, Wiercioch and Holm can get them through this season, they have OJ on the way, Brisebois and McEneny might be serviceable, still have Tryamkin's rights - they may be able to afford to move Hutton as their left side is transitioning - may be able to move Edler as well if they bring a defenseman back in a deal, depending on how their season unfolds - but Reinhart, I doubt Benning would pass on the opportunity - skeptical that Botterill would make that move though.

17 minutes ago, oldnews said:

my personal opinion - although I like Baertschi, and think Hutton will be a very good defenseman when he grows out of this sophomore stage - is that that's probably still a bad move for Buffalo, although you know more about that club than I do.  I'd be very tempted to take that deal from a Canucks perspective - Edler, MDZ, Pouliot, Wiercioch and Holm can get them through this season, they have OJ on the way, Brisebois and McEneny might be serviceable, still have Tryamkin's rights - they may be able to afford to move Hutton as their left side is transitioning - may be able to move Edler as well if they bring a defenseman back in a deal, depending on how their season unfolds - but Reinhart, I doubt Benning would pass on the opportunity - skeptical that Botterill would make that move though.

Personally I think it would be a terrible move to get rid of Reinhart.  He is a very good 6 wingman with the hockey IQ to get better.  Even though he's an average skater speed-wise, he has relatively fast reflexes lower and upper body and is second to none with his positioning.

I'm just looking at it from Boterill's perspective in that frmr. GMTM took gambles that didn't pay off on other positions and Botterill is stuck filling those holes that are left. 

I've said it before, in reality they are waiting to see how Reinhart does this season.  If he takes another step forward this year and gets on track to put up 55 or more points now that he's back on the right wing, they will most definitely keep him, especially if Kane decides to walk away or isn't offered a new contract after the season is over.

If some team were to try and get Reinhart on the cheap, now would be their time to strike while the new regime is still trying to figure out what they have.

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

They'd probably want a center back, and while we're all high on Gaudette, what's his ceiling, realistically speaking? 

'Realistically speaking' Gaudette's ceiling, in the short run, would be in the running for the Hobey Baker.

He was a top 10 NCAA scorer last year as a 19 yr old sophomore - at this point is realistically among a handful of leading candidates - and has 7 pts in his first 3 contests this year.

Longer term who knows - but success in college hockey has proven relatively translatable - so maybe not a great idea to cap his 'ceiling' at this point.

Archived