The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A team in the KHL sacrifices a sheep to break slump....

Odd.

1 hour ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

Sacrifice sheep to turn fortunes around, but the ritual won't be complete without making a meal out of the sheep and saying a prayer for the harvested meat, during the witching hour

Have you...have you done this before? You seem to know all the steps....

18 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

A sheep really doesn't. By law they're property and as long as humanely killed (and slitting a throat is considered just that in the case of slaughtering for consumption) there is no legal issue. I think the whole thing is stupid but am I morally outraged? No, but I'm not overly sensitive.

1. Sheep are sentient beings just like you or I.  They have complex mental lives, and can feel sorrow or happiness like you or I- these are qualities of our lives we consider ethically important.  To say these qualities grant all human beings moral standing but not animals is arbitrary- it lacks rational justification.
  2. The law doesnt dictate our normative obligations- quite contrary that common law follows our normative beliefs.  Look at LBGT rights over the past decade (e.g. same sex marriage) or even not so long ago civil rights and the abolishment of slavery.  These practices were legally codified contrary to our changing normative beliefs.
  3. Defining animals as property under the law is a very strange and out dated way to treat the issue.  This issue in itself highlights just how out dated our beliefs about how to view animals under the law.   

I just found it humorous that someone who ridicules religion also seems to not think so smartly about how we ethically treat animals.  Did you realize that the belief that animals are inferior/lack comparative value to humans has long been influenced by religious belief?  If you really think religious beliefs are nonsensical, perhaps it is time to re examine some of your beliefs regarding animals

13 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:
  1. Sheep are sentient beings just like you or I.  They have complex mental lives, and can feel sorrow or happiness like you or I- these are qualities of our lives we consider ethically important.  To say these qualities grant all human beings moral standing but not animals is arbitrary- it lacks rational justification.
  2. The law doesnt dictate our normative obligations- quite contrary that common law follows our normative beliefs.  Look at LBGT rights over the past decade (e.g. same sex marriage) or even not so long ago civil rights and the abolishment of slavery.  These practices were legally codified contrary to our changing normative beliefs.
  3. Defining animals as property under the law is a very strange and out dated way to treat the issue.  This issue in itself highlights just how out dated our beliefs about how to view animals under the law.   

I just found it humorous that someone who ridicules religion also seems to not think so smartly about how we ethically treat animals.  Did you realize that the belief that animals are inferior/lack comparative value to humans has long been influenced by religious belief?  If you really think religious beliefs are nonsensical, perhaps it is time to re examine some of your beliefs regarding animals

What is your source there as you clearly copied and pasted that? Also my stance on religion has nothing to do with animals. I grew up fishing and hunting and eat meat. I've also spent a few years not eating meat and a few only eating fish....and neither time was it about giving a $&!# about the animals but for health reasons. 

Hitler loved animals and didn't eat them and look at his stance on other things.....

35 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I love animals.  Animals taste great.  

17 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

What is your source there as you clearly copied and pasted that?

That's quite an assumption.  Do you consider it impossible that I've actually thought about this issue for a long time?

Also my stance on religion has nothing to do with animals.

Well the idea that animals are mere property under the law can arguably be traced back to the religious belief that the big guy himself God gave Man dominion over all animals on earth. 

I grew up fishing and hunting and eat meat. I've also spent a few years not eating meat and a few only eating fish....and neither time was it about giving a $&!# about the animals but for health reasons.

Oh Im sure you didnt.  You grew up with the assumption that it was OK to do what you do, but that doesnt make it rationally justified.  FTR I grew up also thinking the same.  For someone that brings up abortion, and Ill assume you think that the moral permissability of that practice is determined by reason (not religion), then your views regarding the ethical treatment of animals is also subject to reason.  Can your beliefs stand up to rational criticism e.g. lacking moral standing?  Again, for someone who ridicules religion as being rationally nonsensical, Im not sure your beliefs hold either.

Hitler loved animals and didn't eat them and look at his stance on other things.....

Are you trying to say anyone who loves/doesnt eat animals are OK with the holocaust?  C'mon now man......

Just now, SILLY GOOSE said:

The KKK probably thinks similar things when they see pictures of lynchings.  You should feel proud that your thinking is just as stupid.

I am not racist.   I just enjoy the taste of eating animals 

my family / ancestors have been eating animals for quite some time ....

i also like to eat pineapples and cocconuts 

1 minute ago, Screw said:

What should the Canucks sacrifice? 

A seal 

orcas love to eat seals

way too many seals now in around fraser river.  Eating too many of our salmon

i say we need to sacrifice a seal

make a statement.  Other seals may decide safer down south. 

11 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Some people need to move out of mommys basement suite

surrey is quickly becoming the number 1 city in bc 

once the canucks move to surrey central it will final

beautiful surrey bc. 

yup once they get a handle on hatchet murder attempts  in the mall it will be great :P

4 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Structurally, your thinking is quite the same.  It's too bad you dont even realize it.

How is eating meat - racist  ?

i think u were not paying attention this yr in ur highschool social justice course 

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

A seal 

orcas love to eat seals

way too many seals now in around fraser river.  Eating too many of our salmon

i say we need to sacrifice a seal

make a statement.  Other seals may decide safer down south. 

I was thinking Kyle Wellwood.

Archived