The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

On acceptance...

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

On 30/01/2018 at 5:57 PM, oldnews said:

Believe it or not, fanbases make a difference.

If you don't believe that, you don't realize the impact of a bunch of rabid, lunatic homerz like the ones that populate the seats and streets of Boston.

if you don't believe that, try taking in a Winnipeg Jets game, listen to their crowds abuse their oppoenents, and try to tell yourself that has no effect on their team on the ice.

The question is - do we want to remain a general collective of whingey, insufferable Province B-otches?  Snivelling cryptkeepers.  Douche-'army' brats.  Boring suits on cellphones.

Tear away at your team - or back it up.  Not that complicated, really.

I remember games in the past - humans attended, actually got excited, had a fn pulse.  The team wasn't the best, not usually even close, but nothing like the prevailing loser mentality the city now suffers under.

I'm not talking about pompoming anything the franchise does or ignoring obstacles to building a great team - but the tone of the city, like it or not, remains that of a losing 'culture' regardless of some years of contending.

Is that the inevitable result of losing for so long?  Who knows. In the end however, is it worth looking at as self-fulfilling?

Fans can wait for the team to set the tone for them, or it can embrace it's mediocre Winnipeg Jets (I'm talking about a few years ago), while they're still not that good, and be a place/building that opponents hate to play in.  Do you control the moves the team makes, the development of prospects, etc - no of course not.  But what do you control? 

I heard some NHLers take shots at Winnipeg recently - whiney drivel about not wanting to play there - the city being too cold for them, or not glitzy enough.  Wankers to the core those players are.  But why do they really not want to play there?

Here's why:

"Best trade ever."

"Who's your captain?"

"Laine's better."

"Silver medal"

"Rollie, Rollie, Rollie"

Winnipeg's team / on-ice product is not the only thing about that city that is better than Vancouver.   The on-ice thing might change in a few years, but off the ice - they have some team spirit to that city (not just present when they're winning/contending) that this place fundamentally lacks - and needs to get its act together, that is unless we're satisfied with out loser contributions.  Not sure if its in the culture out here, but some of that really wouldn't hurt Vancouver's (general) 'poor-me' disposition. 

That, pretty much in a nutshell, is why I'm such a gd crusty bastard in general when it comes to this mopey, snivelling, self-hating/loathing dynamic.

Don't settle for it. It's not good enough. 

And then maybe there will be grounds to complain about a losing team - at which point, you probably won't be complaining in any event, because that isn't good enough.  It's pointless.  And if the criticisms aren't informed or constructive enough to improve on what is - absolutely pointless.

I think people who have been through enough losing, ironically, get this.  People who delude themselves into believing they are somehow entitled to a winner - don't.

Of course, it's not that simple - there are all types, positive, negative, pompoms and critics and everything in between (and in the end, no individual is even that simple) - but the basic point - the general tendencies, hold water imo.  But perhaps the point is this: maybe Winnipeg actually 'deserves' a winner.

Crusty bastard < 3

• Cheers 1

On 2018-01-30 at 5:58 PM, bloodycanuckleheads said:

I love how the entire point of this thread is apparently that complaining about all the boneheaded things Canucks' managment do - somehow shows that there's something wrong with you (and not Canucks' management)!...

It's like the liberal gvt had some input in this thread.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I agree with the post almost entirely.

Player by player comparisons is a lost dog, it may come back, but only by trade.

The comparisons to be made are team to team, this is the game.

It is frustrating when some fans stick their head in the ground and don't bother to see why some teams just aren't successful or have taken a decade to return to competitiveness.

This team has been in decline it can be said since reaching the cup final or the following year. That is not hoping or blaming anyone, when at the top the only way left is down. Top teams rarely will have deep or skilled prospect pools due to draft numbers.

The real threat here is that some fans and posters have reached acceptance, acceptance that losing and looking good at it is improvement.

Even those that cling to what the hope of what the future may be, prospects, are acknowledging that the current team is not very good. They  accept this and try to turn the facts to their dreams of future success, they deny that other teams may improve even more or faster because the dream may be less than anticipated. Worse this dream may turn into a nightmare.

Acceptance of being a losing team, even if games are close, should not be the goal of the team and it shouldn't be for the fans either. Participation ribbons are fine for very young kids but they shouldn't be when the team is asking for fans to empty their pockets.

The last 4 years without a great uproar are a form of acceptance that is only now reaching the end of endurance, for 4 years there has been no notable difference on the ice. The 4 years have been wasted, the team signs more veterans each year than prospects getting a chance to play.

• Cheers 1

Man, you crazy cats! Sometimes people project what they feel into another's words, & the original quote may be skewed into meaning something quite different!

Which I s'pose, is okay too. Try to start threads that'll induce opinions & insights from one & all, & feel pleased if they get rolling to lots of pages. Just stuff for us all to blather on about, as we await the next G/PDT ice-war.

Also seems we all differently define what it truly means to be a fan. Patience, passion, planning..are hopes better than expectations(choose yer ingredients, then drink heavily!)? One's background/life experiences likely determine how you'll see such matters.

At least we've got the best F***in' team-site in the sporting universe, afaic...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

so much for acceptance then.. we have to accept the team for what it is but not accept the fans should be allowed to have their own say and opinion

I'd say everyone's entitled to their views on this current debacle. Mostly have to look fwd, if one chooses an optimistic angle.

5 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

I have been watching this team since i was a kid. Started Oct 1970. I love the team like everyone here. We wouldn't be coming to this board unless we were true fans. Its frustrating at times to see things go one way when you thought they would go another. In general we have had our share of disappointments along the way. Its not so much about acceptance but the love of this game, this team , this city and what home means in the home team. In each of the three cup finals runs I watched the city go absolutely crazy with support for the Canucks. From Vancouver to Hope and beyond fans cheer the team on. In Prince Rupert or Kamloops its all the same.The province get behind this team. You cant explain that to someone from out of town. They wont get it.No championship would mean more to a city of rabid fans than if this team won a Stanley Cup.The team that brings one home will forever be gods in this city. I really thought it might happen in 2011. But I am still on board!. I still watch even though i know this team has no hope of making the playoffs this year. Maybe not next year either. I still hope when we are down 4-0 that this might be the game we make the miracle comeback.I still hope that for every kid that started watching when i did back in October 1970 that one year will be ours. I watched that game with my Dad in 1970.I always said I didn't know if they would win a cup before dad died and that now i started to worry if they would win one before I die. Well Dad died this Wednesday night so we know the answer to that question. No one can question my loyalty to this team or love of this game. It was instilled in me that night long ago in 1970 when it all began, From Quinn to Smith to Boudrias to Smyl to Linden to Bure to Naslund to Sedin and all the players that have worn that uniform along side them. They represented our city, our home and our pride. Unconditionally I cheer for them always. Game 1 or game 80. Playoffs or not. I am never divisive. I might disagree with our direction, or someones opinions on how to fix the team, but my heart always remains in place. I offer respect to anyone that posts here despite some comments that may be what i deem silly but i always know its for the love of the team and game. When the last game of the year is played i will still be wearing my Canucks uniform. In the summer at the grocery store, at the bar or restaurant and when the season starts again in October 2018 I will pull the jersey on and watch as many games as I can hoping to see this team turn the corner and get back to finals to finish the job started October 1970. Peace, love and light to all of you who follow the team as I do.

If I overheard such a tribute in a Tim Ho's, why I'd bow down like it were in Japan. It'd be a large coffee & apple fritter, on me! You've caught the essence of this crazy obsession, my friend. Aptly & eloquently put.. Have a beer with free refills!

• 3 weeks later...

Bumpin' a lil' acceptance today! I'm fine with JB's handiwork at the TDL..patience grasshoppers. 2019 will prob have a lil' more excitement.(last TDL was great too)

Travis Green likely wants a young cast he can shape into his collective-vision. He's the real deal. Really like this young coach - let's give this guy our support!

Owners, GM & Pres are all gonna see his vision realized..they'll set him up with the young assets to build a sustainable beast of a team!

ACCEPT the process!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Yeah..acceptance.

Gonna get this over with early, & accept  the #9 OA 1st R pick. This league is a rigged deck, so it won't surprise me a bit. They tried to shag us over last yr, but we wound up with (probably) the best kid. I trust JB..pickin' top-10, he surely should grab a gem.

The team had some real nice stretches this season, & possibly was a 90+ pt rising force, if it weren't for the usual injuries. I think the hierarchy is learning to surround our youth with the requisite size/grit, & we'll start rolling with a younger, grittier, speedier version.

It's a nice bonus that we should be landing another top prospect(or more) in June. The injuries let us stealthily fall back for one last time.

On 1/30/2018 at 6:58 PM, kingofsurrey said:

Do you think moving the team to a New Arena in Surrey Central would solve alot of problems with our fan base at games... ?

Would it bring back more real fans to the games..... ?

I am very excited about the  constant  rumors of the Canucks moving to Surrey.  Where there is smoke .... there is fire...

Not unless the ticket prices dropped. The biggest problem is they've priced out the average family. The corporate guys are going to buy seasons tickets anyway. Tax write off. Plus I don't think you have to be a drunk screaming the entire game to be a 'real fan'.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Yeah..acceptance.

Gonna get this over with early, & accept  the #9 OA 1st R pick. This league is a rigged deck, so it won't surprise me a bit. They tried to shag us over last yr, but we wound up with (probably) the best kid. I trust JB..pickin' top-10, he surely should grab a gem.

The team had some real nice stretches this season, & possibly was a 90+ pt rising force, if it weren't for the usual injuries. I think the hierarchy is learning to surround our youth with the requisite size/grit, & we'll start rolling with a younger, grittier, speedier version.

It's a nice bonus that we should be landing another top prospect(or more) in June. The injuries let us stealthily fall back for one last time.

Well the odds are in favor of that result. No fix needed.