The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Third-graders Selling AR-15 Raffle Tickets in Missouri

nucklehead

1 hour ago, smokes said:

Why do ordinary citizens in this day and age need such a powerful weapon? Is it a my gun is bigger then your gun type of deal?  I don't understand.

In terms of power, it’s less powerful than your standard game hunting rifle. It uses .223 rem ammo which is what you typically hunt coyotes or small predators with. 

As a gun owner, I can tell you the AR-15 isn't all that powerful, but for the strength, it is very easy to operate, upgrade and customize.  I'm a proponent of gun control, and I have no issue with regulating the AR-15, because it seemingly has some nutcase nostalgia, which I feel may be attributed to the military connection.  In the USA, Someone could buy a semi auto AK-47 or SKS with more power and larger bullet, or a hunting rifle with even more power and high capacity magazines.  Thankfully in Canada we have restrictions on ammo capacity, as well as a course and RCMP license that is at the very least, a deterrent for some people who shouldn't have firearms.  Bear in mind, I live in a rural area, and I have a gun for target shooting, and the zombie apocalypse.  I don't hunt, but I like having the means to do so if I never needed to.  Basically what I'm saying is, gun regulation isn't necessarily taking away rights, I don't know why the US fights it so hard.  A simplified version of Canada's PAL would be a good start.  Another way they can start is an ammunition license.  One of the common 'murica rants I get exposed to in gun forums centers around the anger some nutters have over the 'guvment trying to take my guns away.  If they start with restricting ammo, ammo capacity and make a license a requirement to buying it, these nutters may only blow a small gasket, and I know they shouldn't be pandered to, but it has to start somewhere and this 2nd amendment culture is stopping reasonable and necessary change.  Another idea I had, is to start with the offenses of having the wrong ammo, or an illegal capacity as a fine. They could use the revenue to offset the costs of implementing a license.  I'm sure I'm oversimplifying it, but if I can come up with workable starts to solutions, then there must be some middle ground to be found.  Regulating the AR-15 would be a good idea for the optics alone.  Here too. 

EDIT:  I meant to start that comment with, It's crazy they are going ahead with the raffle.

7 minutes ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

As a gun owner, I can tell you the AR-15 isn't all that powerful, but for the strength, it is very easy to operate, upgrade and customize.  I'm a proponent of gun control, and I have no issue with regulating the AR-15, because it seemingly has some nutcase nostalgia, which I feel may be attributed to the military connection.  In the USA, Someone could buy a semi auto AK-47 or SKS with more power and larger bullet, or a hunting rifle with even more power and high capacity magazines.  Thankfully in Canada we have restrictions on ammo capacity, as well as a course and RCMP license that is at the very least, a deterrent for some people who shouldn't have firearms.  Bear in mind, I live in a rural area, and I have a gun for target shooting, and the zombie apocalypse.  I don't hunt, but I like having the means to do so if I never needed to.  Basically what I'm saying is, gun regulation isn't necessarily taking away rights, I don't know why the US fights it so hard.  A simplified version of Canada's PAL would be a good start.  Another way they can start is an ammunition license.  One of the common 'murica rants I get exposed to in gun forums centers around the anger some nutters have over the 'guvment trying to take my guns away.  If they start with restricting ammo, ammo capacity and make a license a requirement to buying it, these nutters may only blow a small gasket, and I know they shouldn't be pandered to, but it has to start somewhere and this 2nd amendment culture is stopping reasonable and necessary change.  Another idea I had, is to start with the offenses of having the wrong ammo, or an illegal capacity as a fine. They could use the revenue to offset the costs of implementing a license.  I'm sure I'm oversimplifying it, but if I can come up with workable starts to solutions, then there must be some middle ground to be found.  Regulating the AR-15 would be a good idea for the optics alone.  Here too. 

EDIT:  I meant to start that comment with, It's crazy they are going ahead with the raffle.

I grew up on a farm, and had my own farm too.  Yes, there is a definite need for guns (both rifles and hand guns) on many farms.  I wonder how city people think badly injured animals are put down, or how farmers protect their herds from predators? 

However, I see no purpose for an assault rifle.

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I grew up on a farm, and had my own farm too.  Yes, there is a definite need for guns (both rifles and hand guns) on many farms.  I wonder how city people think badly injured animals are put down, or how farmers protect their herds from predators? 

However, I see no purpose for an assault rifle.

An AR 15 isn’t an assault rifle. It’s a semi auto. We sell them in Canada all the time. The only difference is we are required to have our restricted PAL to purchase and can only use it for target practice at a range. We also are only allowed a magazine with 5 rounds and it’s illegal to modify it in any way. 

3 hours ago, Toews said:

Have you ever collected anything like hockey/baseball cards, anime cards (Pokemon/Yugioh) etc. This is no different. No citizen has any practical use for an AR-15 but gun nuts value their hobby over the lives of children. 

If my Blue Eyes White Dragon was used to kill children and innocent people, I'd question my desire to be a Duelling Master.

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

In terms of power, it’s less powerful than your standard game hunting rifle. It uses .223 rem ammo which is what you typically hunt coyotes or small predators with. 

I

25 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

An AR 15 isn’t an assault rifle. It’s a semi auto. We sell them in Canada all the time. The only difference is we are required to have our restricted PAL to purchase and can only use it for target practice at a range. We also are only allowed a magazine with 5 rounds and it’s illegal to modify it in any way. 

What is the purpose of having a semi automatic ?  How is that needed ?    You do realize that many people can modify their magazines or buy a modified magazine....

The dude in Langley killed a few years back downtown leaving that Browns pub   was killed by a  similar weapon from what i remember.....

27 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I

What is the purpose of having a semi automatic ?  How is that needed ?

The purpose in Canada is purely for sport. People enjoy taking there firearm to ranges and using them. That is the only legal use for them in Canada. 

You do realize that many people can modify their magazines or buy a modified magazine....

Yes it can still happen but it’s illegal and a huge crime to do so. That why you need a restricted PAL to purchase which also runs a background check. 

What are you trying to imply. That Canada should allow them to be purchased?  

7 hours ago, Toni Zamboni said:

when i was a kid we used to sell chocolate bars to raise money for school trips?!?....times they are a changin'. smh.

In Canada kids still do sell chocolate bars.

I went to Canadian tire couple of days ago and two kids were standing outside selling chocolate for a school trip. I bought one from both. Chocolate never tasted better....

7 hours ago, Toews said:

It doesn't make sense practically either. Why would you raffle off something that only gun owners would have interest in? Though admittedly I haven't quite looked at what gun ownership is like in Missouri, maybe a large % of the population owns guns.

I suppose they could always rename it the "Shoot Me" state...

8 hours ago, Toews said:

It doesn't make sense practically either. Why would you raffle off something that only gun owners would have interest in? Though admittedly I haven't quite looked at what gun ownership is like in Missouri, maybe a large % of the population owns guns.

For example my sister in laws relative owns four hand guns.  They are all in his home.

kansas city, Kansas.

I find it extremely telling how the reaction here on CDC is in stark contrast to some of the american forums/twitter I have been reading in response to this article tweeted by NBC. Suffice it to say I'm glad to live up here. 

4 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

What is the purpose of having a semi automatic ?  How is that needed ?    You do realize that many people can modify their magazines or buy a modified magazine....

The dude in Langley killed a few years back downtown leaving that Browns pub   was killed by a  similar weapon from what i remember.....

I'm going to answer honestly, so don't attack me for having a different opinion on guns. 

The purpose of having a semi automatic for me is the fun factor.  I have 2 semi automatic rifles, one is a .22LR which is a small caliber, and is what I let first time shooters start with.  In Canada, .22LR is allowed to have higher capacity magazines, mine carries 25 bullets.  It's a gun that's generally too small for hunting and mine is a recreation gun only, especially since I don't hunt.  It's a genuinely fun gun to shoot at paper zombies.  My other semi auto is an SKS, which I bought because it was all I could afford at the time I got my license.  Not accurate or long enough to hunt, there is no real purpose for the gun.  People do hunt with it, but in my opinion they shouldn't.  It has a maximum capacity of 5, which is the law, it is an out of date relic if a gun, and it's only positives are it's not uncomfortable to shoot and offers decent size round.  I wouldn't buy it again knowing what I know about guns, it really has very little purpose.   Really, semi auto is just a different style of loading, it's not really a matter a purpose.  Outside recreational target shooting, what is the purpose of any gun? It becomes a weapon as soon as it is being used on a living creature.  In my opinion, there isn't a semi auto rifle, restricted or not, that is suitable to hunt with, other than small game.  Hunting should be respecting the harvest and acting as humane as possible, which means not taking a shot unless you are confident and competent enough to hit a kill zone.  To do that, you need a hunting rifle, which usually much more powerful ammunition, have a longer range, and some kind of optics.  I don't think my semi auto ruger .22 is at all comparable to a restricted firearm like the AR-15. 

That all said, the AR-15 is basically a semi-auto civilian model of the M16.  I believe that is where the nostalgia comes from for hardcore war buffs and (with all due respect)  nutters.  It's more dangerous than other weapons of the same ammo because it is really easy to operate and has a lot of inexpensive upgrades to make it more dangerous.  Thankfully in Canada, they are relegated to appropriate ranges.  

31 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I had plastic toy guns as an 8 yr old..... lots of fun for outside...

Luckily by age  10  i had outgrown the concept of guns...

Not sure why some "adults"  find guns so alluring  / interesting....... 

They are the ultimate precision tool.  I really enjoy hitting a small target with a small projectile from a long distance.  It's also fun at times to destroy inanimate objects.  

Archived