The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Van..Lucic(Proposal / Discussion)

I've been pondering a value question. Figured to just throw this out here, so any can chime in. Pls don't interpret this as a hard-sell..anything but. For this idea, a few things occur:

- Edm winds up with #7 OA 2018 pick

- Twins choose to retire(opening 14 mill of cap)

- Of course his cap hit is brutal..but with Lucic & EG, toughness is never a question again(he's owed 26 mill/next 5 seasons)

- We dump a couple of blah players on Edm, to clear contracts, & make use of their plummeting value. It totals about the same (6 mill $ cap + an RFA winger) So...

EDM: Lucic(6 mill AAV x 5 more yrs!..ouch)

+ their 2018 1st R pick(7 OA!) ..we all know what asset we REALLY want!

VAN:

Gagner ..3.2 mill x 2 more LONGGG yrs (they KNOW him, eh!?)

Hutton ..2.8 for 1 yr, then prob catapult to the EU

Baer cheese (oft-injured RFA..they need wingers, I guess?)

- last asset??? I don't know what's fair for value here _________? (help, with opinions, pls)..how about our 2018 2nd?

Basic premise is helping Edm by taking an onerous contract(21,000,000 McD/Drai starts next yr). They gotta sign Nurse too. The price to take this mean, tough albatross is their 1st.

We can pick another top young D-man, with #7 OA!

Chia-pet admits his error(costly FA signing), with such a deal. EP gets a bodyguard!..Also imagine Luc is tired of that town. His hometown looks beautiful by comparison. He has the cash to actually LIVE in Van now(lol)

Kane/ Leipsic - Bo - Boeser

Lucic - Petterson - Virtanen

L/Gran? - Gaudette - Eriksson

Gaunce - Sutter - Archibald

THIS^ lineup could march into any barn, & play however they like it.

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

A little surprised thus far. I figured people would be pretty amped about another high 1st?

I don't watch the Coilers much..but the guy is having quite a lousy yr, I s'pose...

Another high 1st would be awesome, but we already have one albatross contract on the roster. Can't imagine going forward with 12 million dollars tied up in Eriksson and Lucic for multiple years. Boeser is going to be up for an extension after this season, and Pettersson likely will before either contract is done as well, and we know what type of coin they'll be after.

8 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

what a waste of pettersson. people want the twins gone because they are slow, but want lucic instead. i don't get it.

Well Joe, we have seen brawlers put with skill over the yrs(say Gillies with Trots/Bossy). Virt & EP drive the play with skill & speed, Lucic cleans up garbage in the slot?

Our kids wouldn't be pushed around for a few yrs. Be nice to closely protect the next wave of youth.

Around 2021(his NMC drops) maybe eat 2 mill, & deal him away.

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Another high 1st would be awesome, but we already have one albatross contract on the roster. Can't imagine going forward with 12 million dollars tied up in Eriksson and Lucic for multiple years. Boeser is going to be up for an extension after this season, and Pettersson likely will before either contract is done as well, and we know what type of coin they'll be after.

Yeah..I was also weighing these factors. Basically why I presented this in a question form. The interesting question to me is the threshold(cap $ on albatross) a fanbase will endure, in order to land another top young D-man(high 1st)?

It's a subjective(yet interesting question) I'd say. Prob difficult for GM's to meet in the middle on these sort of deals, as well(requires rather agreeable owners too).

1 minute ago, zzbottom said:

This is not the first proposal I've read on this forum that involves Lucic and Gagner. Why would Edmonton ever want Gagner back? 

The 'why's' are pretty clearly stated..so THEY can dump a 6 mill hit, (for 5 yrs).

For us, we'd be taking on a bad contract for a top pick.

10 minutes ago, zzbottom said:

And here I thought it was because their d-men suck again and Talbot came back to reality. 

They still have too much talent to be as bad as they are.  An off-the-ice issue is likely.  Who would have thought that bringing in a roid monkey who spears guys in the balls, utters death threats in the handshake line, can't take a clean hit like a man, and headshots goalies might be bad fit for a "leadership" role?

Draisitl is starting to pick up his bad habits and speared 2 guys in the groin last playoffs alone.  You don't want someone that classless anywhere near young players.

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

They still have too much talent to be as bad as they are.  An off-the-ice issue is likely.  Who would have thought that bringing in a roid monkey who spears guys in the balls, utters death threats in the handshake line, can't take a clean hit like a man, and headshots goalies might be bad fit for a "leadership" role. 

Draisitl is starting to pick up his bad habits and speared 2 guys in the groin last playoffs alone.  You don't want someone that classless anywhere near young players.

Yeah..it's quite a laundry list, Heffy. Might be back to the drawing board! :^)

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Well Joe, we have seen brawlers put with skill over the yrs(say Gillies with Trots/Bossy). Virt & EP drive the play with skill & speed, Lucic cleans up garbage in the slot?

Our kids wouldn't be pushed around for a few yrs. Be nice to closely protect the next wave of youth.

Around 2021(his NMC drops) maybe eat 2 mill, & deal him away.

Who's to say that Gadjovich couldn't be that guy in a couple years?  Three years from now, I think it'd be a safe bet that he's at least in consideration for a roster spot (barring total busting).  Plus maybe we can sign a dirt-cheap enforcer with a little skill or another Sbisa-type who can hit and fight back, instead of handcuffing ourselves financially.

2 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I've been pondering a value question. Figured to just throw this out here, so any can chime in. Pls don't interpret this as a hard-sell..anything but. For this idea, a few things occur:

- Edm winds up with #7 OA 2018 pick

- Twins choose to retire(opening 14 mill of cap)

- Of course his cap hit is brutal..but with Lucic & EG, toughness is never a question again(he's owed 26 mill/next 5 seasons)

- We dump a couple of blah players on Edm, to clear contracts, & make use of their plummeting value. It totals about the same (6 mill $ cap + an RFA winger) So...

EDM: Lucic(6 mill AAV x 5 more yrs!..ouch)

+ their 2018 1st R pick(7 OA!) ..we all know what asset we REALLY want!

VAN:

Gagner ..3.2 mill x 2 more LONGGG yrs (they KNOW him, eh!?)

Hutton ..2.8 for 1 yr, then prob catapult to the EU

Baer cheese (oft-injured RFA..they need wingers, I guess?)

- last asset??? I don't know what's fair for value here _________? (help, with opinions, pls)..how about our 2018 2nd?

Basic premise is helping Edm by taking an onerous contract(21,000,000 McD/Drai starts next yr). They gotta sign Nurse too. The price to take this mean, tough albatross is their 1st.

We can pick another top young D-man, with #7 OA!

Chia-pet admits his error(costly FA signing), with such a deal. EP gets a bodyguard!..Also imagine Luc is tired of that town. His hometown looks beautiful by comparison. He has the cash to actually LIVE in Van now(lol)

Kane/ Leipsic - Bo - Boeser

Lucic - Petterson - Virtanen

L/Gran? - Gaudette - Eriksson

Gaunce - Sutter - Archibald

THIS^ lineup could march into any barn, & play however they like it.

ARE U out of your MIND?    Evander Kane has zero, absolutely zero character so that would be the dumbest idea the Canucks could ever have.   I will NEVER pay that pathetic losers salary.   He didn't have much class as a Giant, he was pathetic in Winnipeg and even worse if that is possible in Buffalo and you want him here. . .   OMG< OMG, OMG.    Lucic is even a dumber idea.   Slow as sin and this rebuild WILL NEVER GET done . .    UGH UGH UGH

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Wouldn't take Lucic at league minimum.  His character issues are a big reason why Edmonton is struggling so much.

What character issues, please do tell....

Edmonton's true struggles lies with mangement's ineptness to deal with today's new NHL on so many levels, they simply thought McDavid and a new arena -WHAMMO- Stanley Cup!

Archived