The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Humboldt Broncos Involved in Bus Crash

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

We don't know what the road conditions were. Like sonoman said, the truck might have slid through the intersection because of icy conditions.

We don't know for sure that the truck driver is completely exonerated. It's entirely possible that the RCMP investigation comes to the conclusion that he was at fault (at least partially) but I find it doubtful that they'd release him without charges if it were evident that he ignored a stop sign.

Travelling west near sundown?  Maybe he was sun blind, reflecting off the black ice & white snow...  That's my strongest speculation (and hope!).

Unless he was drunk or stoned, doubt they would have held him. And he was released?

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

We don't know what the road conditions were. Like sonoman said, the truck might have slid through the intersection because of icy conditions.

We don't know for sure that the truck driver is completely exonerated. It's entirely possible that the RCMP investigation comes to the conclusion that he was at fault (at least partially) but I find it doubtful that they'd release him without charges if it were evident that he ignored a stop sign.

It likely matters little to asses blame in this case.  That truck driver, if he’s at all human, will suffer more living with what he did than any punishment a court could assign.  

• Thanks 2

Indeed the bus was traveling West & should have yielded at the stop sign. Ploughing into the front of the Northbound bus and pushing it onto the NW corner of the intersection.

https://www.tsn.ca/humboldt-death-toll-rises-to-15-as-rcmp-tries-to-piece-together-what-happened-1.1049763

Around 5 p.m. Friday, the truck was heading west at a highway intersection south of Nipawin when it collided with the bus. The force of the crash sent both vehicles into the ditch at the northwest corner of the intersection.

The tractor-trailer would have had to yield to a stop sign before crossing over the highway that the hockey bus was travelling on. There is a stand of trees on the southeast corner of the intersection, limiting visibility of the approach on both roads.

Zablocki said a lot of issues have to be investigated, including weather conditions at the time and any mechanical issues with the vehicles.

16 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I apologize for throwing that out there (re the driver), however, that was being reported last night and is relevant.  When children die, it's ok to seek answers.  It's important to do so because they and their families deserve them and it's never not ok to have discussions that create awareness.  With that, I'm glad to hear he's been released, to begin what will be a long process of getting through this nightmare.

I also apologize for being as harsh on the driver as I was ,my hardened attitude towards vehicular accidents with a negligent element comes from being a hwy's worker , seeing to many AVOIDABLE situations. I've seen reaction from family's affected ranging from forgiving to outright rage ,this incident with so many affected  its hard for me to believe that everybody would remain forgiving, and there not being pressure on the authorities.

16 hours ago, sonoman said:

Definitely stop signs on 335.  Unfortunately, icy conditions possibly contributed to this tragedy.  Across the street, it looks like a previous fatal accident (white crosses?)

IMG_2419.PNG

For anyone who might have been having trouble understanding what Surfer and I have been trying to explain, this photo makes it easier to understand.

The truck was traveling from the East, towards us in this view. The bus was traveling from the South, to the right of this photo, where we can see crosses planted at the side of the road. (as someone pointed out already, it looks as if this intersection has been the scene of accidents in the past, as well).

As you can see, the truck driver's view of the oncoming bus would have been obscured by the trees at the top right. Whether he assumed the road was clear and didn't stop, or road conditions made him unable to do so, it's fairly obvious that the bus driver would have had no idea what was coming. I think this tragedy will definitely lead to a 4-way stop being implemented at this junction. Sadly, it's too late for at least 15 people...

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Whether he assumed the road was clear and didn't stop, or road conditions made him unable to do so, it's fairly obvious that the bus driver would have had no idea what was coming.

Or maybe the rigs brakes didn't work

or maybe some jerk took down the stop sign prior to the accident

or maybe the rig driver sneezed at the wrong time

or.....

or.......

or maybe wait for the RCMP and Transport Canada to release their reports into the accident

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

For anyone who might have been having trouble understanding what Surfer and I have been trying to explain, this photo makes it easier to understand.

The truck was traveling from the East, towards us in this view. The bus was traveling from the South, to the right of this photo, where we can see crosses planted at the side of the road. (as someone pointed out already, it looks as if this intersection has been the scene of accidents in the past, as well).

As you can see, the truck driver's view of the oncoming bus would have been obscured by the trees at the top right. Whether he assumed the road was clear and didn't stop, or road conditions made him unable to do so, it's fairly obvious that the bus driver would have had no idea what was coming. I think this tragedy will definitely lead to a 4-way stop being implemented at this junction. Sadly, it's too late for at least 15 people...

Unfortunately Google doesn’t have a street view from the actual perspective

43 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I wonder if the trees blocked the truck driver’s view of the stop sign?  I still wonder if it’s a normal thing for truck drivers to ignore stop signs on these roads?  If the truck driver did ignore this stop sign, I bet it’s not the first time.  

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I wonder if the trees blocked the truck driver’s view of the stop sign?

53 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

truck was traveling from the East, towards us in this view. The bus was traveling from the South, to the right of this photo,

How would the trees block the view of the truck driver?

Just now, gurn said:

My point is the truck driver doesn’t need to see the bus coming, because he’s got a stop sign, which he should clearly see.  The trees should have nothing to do with this tragedy.  The stop sign is in clear view and big.  The truck driver should have been gearing down to stop well before that intersection.  

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

how about they just cut down those trees

since the intersection already has a history as white crosses are planted

it appears to be some sort of a trap. or accident facilitator

due to poor visibility conditions

at a location where at least in one direction vehicles are traveling at highway speeds

i mean how stupid is that intersection????

Edited by coastal.view

9 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

how about they just cut down those trees

since the intersection already has a history as white crosses are planted

it appears to be some sort of a trap. or accident facilitator

due to poor visibility conditions

at a location where at least in one direction vehicles are traveling at highway speeds

i mean how stupid is that intersection????

It’s a pretty big and clear stop sign.  Leave the trees and get people to stop at stop signs.  I think it’s likely a bad habit some drivers have in the out-of-the-way areas there.  Maybe those crosses were the result of another driver ignoring a stop sign, because it’s an intersection in the middle of nowhere?

35 minutes ago, gurn said:

in hwy's term's it's called sight distance or in this case  a lack of sight distance !  if travelling at a high rate of speed ,  and judging by the devastation ,I think its pretty obvious the semi was! moving fast  and yes those trees would have been a sight distance problem  and SK335 would be secondary to SK35 so even if there were No stop signs the onise  would have been on the truck driver to slow down and at least yield.

Edited by chon derry
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s a pretty big and clear stop sign.  Leave the trees and get people to stop at stop signs.  I think it’s likely a bad habit some drivers have in the out-of-the-way areas there.  Maybe those crosses were the result of another driver ignoring a stop sign, because it’s an intersection in the middle of nowhere?

so you are content to design and allow intersections where visibility is greatly obscured

in remote areas where as you indicate is it is likely and not entirely unreasonable to assume no one else is driving in that area

when if visibility were improved everyone could see everything that is in fact going on ?

Edited by coastal.view