The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Josh Morrissey suspended 1 game

I don't know if we are all watching the same clip but he looks at him, lines him up...and crosschecks him right in the head.

If that isn't intentional then maybe Wideman shouldn't have had any supplemental discipline from the league on what he did against that official.

One of the Sportsnet guys (think it might have been Spector) wrote an article about this. He was basically calling out both coaches for their public statements about the play, but he was less harsh on the zebras. The gist was basically: everyone knows that it was a penalty, even when the team is already shorthanded....

My first reaction to seeing the non-call was that good old playoff "game management" had taken place here, but it was a bit surprising in this case, because the play made Marchand's speed bagging of Daniel look like nothing. Turns out that both refs actually missed the play.

If you look at the video that Vintage posted, you can see that Granlund has the puck on the half-wall and he is looking back to the point when the cross check happens. In the shot, you can also see the ref (Kozari, I think) watching the puck with the type of intensity that is usually reserved for cats watching a laser pointer. I'm not sure what the second zebra is doing when this is all taking place, but it appears he was also fixated on the puck, allowing Morrissey to "get away" with what should probably have been 5 and a game and what would have given the Wild an excellent chance to not only tie the game, but take the lead.

Terrible luck for Minny, but the refs are human.

On the plus side, this takes away some of the ammo for those who are constantly claiming that the fix is in for American teams, over Canadians teams.

I think Morrissey didn't mean to do it. I think he was expecting Staal to glide into the slot area inside of taking a stride and when Staal takes a stride, his left shoulder drops which exposed his neck/head area when Morrissey meant to just check him in the arm/shoulder expecting Staal to glide into the slot to battle for position.

Also, I didn't see what happened when I was watching the game and only saw Staal on the ice as I was also watching the puck on TV. On the video in OP, seems like both refs were watching and fixated on the puck. I find it comical that Boudreau blamed that missed call as the reason why they lost. Buddy it was still in the 1st period and it's not a guarantee that you will score on every 5 on 3 opportunity you get.

how could he not mean to do it. do we always old our sticks with two hands almost over our heads. that was certainly done on purpose and both refs were staring at it.  also it was not a guarantee  they would have scored  on a five on three , but  they weren't given the chance, so who knows how that would have changed the game

1 hour ago, bree2 said:

how could he not mean to do it. do we always old our sticks with two hands almost over our heads. that was certainly done on purpose and both refs were staring at it.  also it was not a guarantee  they would have scored  on a five on three , but  they weren't given the chance, so who knows how that would have changed the game

It is actually because Morrissey was holding his stick low that this all happened. If he was holding his stick parallel to Staal's shoulder, he would have hit him in the shoulder. Instead, he brings his stick up from his waist, misses the shoulder, and momentum + upward angle results in Staal getting hit in the head. 

Wow, is that all you get for trying to break a veteran all-star's neck?  For a deliberate head shot, I thought there would be some sort of real punishment. He takes one game off and then proceeds to Round 2. No Justice.

On 4/19/2018 at 9:45 AM, Apple Juice said:

I think Morrissey didn't mean to do it. I think he was expecting Staal to glide into the slot area inside of taking a stride and when Staal takes a stride, his left shoulder drops which exposed his neck/head area when Morrissey meant to just check him in the arm/shoulder expecting Staal to glide into the slot to battle for position.

Also, I didn't see what happened when I was watching the game and only saw Staal on the ice as I was also watching the puck on TV. On the video in OP, seems like both refs were watching and fixated on the puck. I find it comical that Boudreau blamed that missed call as the reason why they lost. Buddy it was still in the 1st period and it's not a guarantee that you will score on every 5 on 3 opportunity you get.

Staal was bracing for some turbulence in front of the net and Morrissey went with the high crosscheck to the head maybe out of some gut reaction to attack the least defended area of the body.  I doubt it was something super malicious, but he did mean to do it even if it was just on instinct and you can clearly see he has time to react in a different manner and chooses not to.

Either way its a boneheaded completely avoidable play and certainly deserved not only the suspension but an in-game penalty as well...that ship however has already sailed for the Wild.

On 2018-04-19 at 7:13 PM, Industrious1 said:

Staal was bracing for some turbulence in front of the net and Morrissey went with the high crosscheck to the head maybe out of some gut reaction to attack the least defended area of the body.  I doubt it was something super malicious, but he did mean to do it even if it was just on instinct and you can clearly see he has time to react in a different manner and chooses not to.

Either way its a boneheaded completely avoidable play and certainly deserved not only the suspension but an in-game penalty as well...that ship however has already sailed for the Wild.

I'd like to think he didn't do it on purpose since the normal play for body position in front of the net is to turn your back towards the goalie.. I believe Morrissey thought he would do just that and was intending on cross checking him on the back to push him out of Hellebuyck's vision since Staal is 4 inches taller than Morrissey. Just that Staal instead decided to try and get open instead of being a screen so it looks bad when Staal's shoulder dips and lowers his head as opposed to turning his back for net presence. 

End of the day, didn't make a difference but still, I don't think Morrissey meant to do it.. Just a bad result

Archived