The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wahlstrom at lucky #7

Alcoblue24

3 hours ago, TheHitman said:

Chances are some of the following will be available with our second and possibly third round picks:

Alexander Alexeyev
K'Andre Miller
Sean Durzi
Mattias Samuellson
Rasmus Sandin
Adam Ginning
Calen Addison
Nicolas Beaudin
Jacob Bernard-Docker

They all have a decent chance of developing into NHL defensemen. 

With our sad defense we need more than ever to draft a more sure shot D prospect than another forward. We can get forwards any draft. this year we need to start to build our D so that in three years we can compete. We  need a few years to develop the D. and a lot of the players you mention here will not be available in the second round.

2 hours ago, cory40 said:

With the success of the last couple years in the play-offs you might see defensemen taken before forwards. I could see Ktachuk falling to us.

Ya I think the same could happen. It happened last year. 

dman are valued higher then ever before

after the top 3 it’s open season where guys could land

i could see tkachuk sliding, unlikely given his last name but possible 

if tkachuk is available at 7 you take him no matter what 

1 hour ago, Positive Canuck said:

Tkachuk - Petersson - Boeser 

hard to imagine the money not being spent. Wow could you imagine that line-up not making the play-offs?

•  
2 hours ago, cory40 said:

Tkachuk - Petersson - Boeser 

You reacted to this
Hydration ×

E.Kane - J.Tavares - B.Boeser
J.Dahlin - B.Horvat- E.Pettersson
B.Tkachuk- A.Gaudette- J. Virtanen
B.Leipsic- B.Sutter - N. Goldobin

No offence to people who say we need D so we should go for the best D available. That's a terrible thinking process. 

You ALWAYS draft BPA. No matter what!! 

If that's a forward then that's fine. Worst case scenario you trade him or another asset down the line for a D.  

Think about it this way... If that was our mentality and skipped over Brock to pick the next best D how would have turned out? 

So yes if out scouts believe Wahlstrom is the BPA available then I'll more then happy to have him. However, if they think one of the D men is available is the BPA then I would be equally happy. 

7 hours ago, cory40 said:

Wow could you imagine that line-up not making the play-offs?

•  
  •  

Sure. I saw the Islanders amazing group of forewards miss the playoffs this year because their defense is paper thin.

I'm always in the BPA camp, but we need defensemen at some point or we'll never seriously compete.

5 hours ago, kacholu said:

No offence to people who say we need D so we should go for the best D available. That's a terrible thinking process. 

If that's a forward then that's fine. Worst case scenario you trade him or another asset down the line for a D.  

Think about it this way... If that was our mentality and skipped over Brock to pick the next best D how would have turned out? 

So yes if out scouts believe Wahlstrom is the BPA available then I'll more then happy to have him. However, if they think one of the D men is available is the BPA then I would be equally happy. 

BPA is often a group ( tier ) of players and not a single name.

At pick #7 we will definitely be in a BPA tier situation. There will be both forwards and d-men available in this BPA tier.

Best Prospect Available or maybe best asset available.

To say we don't want Hughes because he is LHD is not right, we have one A level D prospect, we need help at all positions.  Hard to predict where we will be 2-3 years down the road when this pick should be really hitting the lineup.  Benning may have traded for or away any number of D by then.

Man the long gap between the season ending and the draft is killer.  Damn these playoff teams taking so long.

32 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

BPA is often a group ( tier ) of players and not a single name.

At pick #7 we will definitely be in a BPA tier situation. There will be both forwards and d-men available in this BPA tier.

True, and thats where JB has to shows strength to get the best player out of the group.

Totally agree with @kacholu that we have to take whom ever JB thinks is the best prospect at no.7

If its a forward, then he will represent a bargaining chip in the future.

This year though there seems to be so many in the group that he may opt for a defender, if he doesn't see a clear cut no.7, thats where his scouting skills are supposed to separate him from the flock.

16 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Personally I'm not that impressed with Dobson or Bouchard.  I think they are both products of lesser competition.  Wahlstrom and Boqvist seem to separate themselves with their speed and skill.  

Wahlstrom is playing in the USHL, not exactly better competition, Boqvist probably yes.  But the points translate better for Bouchard out of these guys, with little to no help on his team this year to pad his stats.  A year ago Juolevi was scoring just over 40 points on the same team as a draft plus one...so what does that make of him?  A second round draft pick in a re-draft this year?  Maybe his draft year too if it wasn't for Laine and Puljajarvi padding his WJC ( Bouchard had more points as a draft minus one BTW, on the same team).

Boqvist is younger which I like, but a few months either way isn't going to make that much difference, he's also playing on bigger ice which helps players like him that uses skating ability to avoid getting creamed.  Defense is a two way game, not sure his puck retrival and net presence will amount to much without some growing.  

The best player in the history of the game was an average skater,  and if that was the best thing about a defenseman than Hedican would be in the HHOF.

There is also shot (Bouchard) and passing (best in draft Bouchard), he's quick and mobile, not slow or average like detractors like to say, and has NHL size.   Dobson does get his stats padded playing in the Q, it translates 50% lower than the OHL in the conversions.  Second Tier Swedish league is probably better than both leagues though, which I do agree on.

Also we won't have the privilege to pick our guys as the teams ahead of us will do it for us, personally I think of these guys only Dobson and maybe Wahlstrom might remain.  Zadina and or BT might slip which would really put us in a pickle.

7 hours ago, kacholu said:

Well written and very well thought out...

Post of the day!

1 hour ago, murph777 said:

How about a trade to T.O., Tanev and the rights to Tryamkin for Liljegren. That would be a big boost to our defensive development, then draft Wahlstrom. 

Its definitely an alternative way of thinking...

2 hours ago, murph777 said:

How about a trade to T.O., Tanev and the rights to Tryamkin for Liljegren. That would be a big boost to our defensive development, then draft Wahlstrom. 

Massive overpayment, no.

2 hours ago, murph777 said:

I never want to see Tryamkin in a Leafs jersey

12 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm also hoping Wahlstrom is available at #7.

My preferences for the #7, as of today:

1. Hughes

2. Wahlstrom

3. Dobson

That's a realistic list of what will be left by our turn.   I hope someone slips making it difficult for Benning to pick...I have a suspicion either BT or Zadina will slip, not sure if they will make it all the way to 7, but as the last two drafts have shown us, what actually happens as apposed to what we and the scouts think will happen is quite different.  PLD went at third, from what Benning was saying he was our guy, and ranked right about where we were, and of course we took Juolevi instead of MT who was the consensus third or fourth pick.  .. Last year Valardi was passed on everyone in the top ten when he was predicted to go top five, maybe even third.  

The good thing about that is Benning nailed our first in Pettersson who was predicted to go closer to ten than five.

Boqvist might be this year's Pettersson, I hope he's available, but your list is probably what we will end up with.  Hughes maybe too, he's small but Uber skilled, high ceiling.

I'd be ok with any of those guys but am hopeful Bouchard is available, we'd finally have a guy that can run a power play and transition better than anyone on our team.  

16 hours ago, billabong said:

Ya I think the same could happen. It happened last year. 

dman are valued higher then ever before

after the top 3 it’s open season where guys could land

i could see tkachuk sliding, unlikely given his last name but possible 

if tkachuk is available at 7 you take him no matter what 

Hopefully were not passing on Tkachuk at 7 and picking another undersized Juolevi that barely makes Utica.

Archived