The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wahlstrom at lucky #7

Alcoblue24

I Want Wahlstrom so badly to be drafted by the Canucks. He's going to be a scary good player. He's got all of the tools ro he a bonafied top line forward. My concern however is that he's gone in the top 5. 

As promising as this guy appears to be, I still think we need to go D. I just think that a top notch D, like one of Bouchard/Dobson/Boqvist/Hughes trumps a potential top line forward...unless you're talking in the quality of Schven...the Russian, or Zadina. Top D are so much harder to find. We have, potentially, two top line forwards of All-Star caliber (Petersson, Boeser) and Bo is not far below that. We do NOT have a D in system that is really top-pairing, including Juolevi.

I agree that there are more certainty with the forwards Wahlstrom and Kotkaniemi compared to the defencemen that may be available at #7.

Dahlin, Svech, Zadina, and Tkachuk will be gone by the time we pick for sure.

If one of the forwards is available, then I think we will do well by just picking either one. I think both will become elite level players.

If both of the forwards are picked at #5, #6, then we just have to pick a defenceman. Probably Boqvist? We will get the best defenceman outside of Dahlin in this draft.

So #7 is actually not a bad spot to be in.

15 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

How?

I think that was JB's comment from the post lottery interview. He seems to have someone he really likes in this year's draft that will be available in the second round.

1 hour ago, Jaku said:

I Want Wahlstrom so badly to be drafted by the Canucks. He's going to be a scary good player. He's got all of the tools ro he a bonafied top line forward. My concern however is that he's gone in the top 5. 

he is worthy of the 23rd pick

just like brock

let jb just do his work

he seems to know what he is doing

too many wanted glass last year

and only jb was correct in his choice

1 hour ago, Adarsh Sant said:

How?

Chances are some of the following will be available with our second and possibly third round picks:

Alexander Alexeyev
K'Andre Miller
Sean Durzi
Mattias Samuellson
Rasmus Sandin
Adam Ginning
Calen Addison
Nicolas Beaudin
Jacob Bernard-Docker

They all have a decent chance of developing into NHL defensemen. 

Besides his fantastic shot, Wahlstrom is underwhelming at #7. There's potentially high-end talent that will be left at the 7th spot and OW is not one of them IMO.

You want to pick a player that projects to be the most impactful player in the long run; Hughes is one of those players, so are Bouchard and Smith, all of whom are D. 

Hoping for Hughes the most.

2 hours ago, coastal.view said:

he is worthy of the 23rd pick

just like brock

let jb just do his work

he seems to know what he is doing

too many wanted glass last year

and only jb was correct in his choice

Brock was playing in the USHL in draft year. Wahlstrom is play with the US National Development team and is ripping it up. He's worthy of higher than the 23rd pick......

1 hour ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

It's worth pointing out that Wahlstrom and Hughes played on some of the same teams this year - and Hughes is already head-and-shoulders better than Wahlstrom!  Yet he isn't even available until the 2019 draft.

Hughes is outscoring almost every past alumni of the US development program. He's projected #1 in 2019.

13 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Brock was playing in the USHL in draft year. Wahlstrom is play with the US National Development team and is ripping it up. He's worthy of higher than the 23rd pick......

The NTDP plays against the USHL. 

I'm fine with Wahlstrom at 7 if Benning deems him BPA. I'm also cool with him passing on him for someone else. Benning at this point should have earned our trust when it comes to the draft.

Archived