The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Noah Hanifin and the 7th overall pick

4 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

We're not pushing for a playoff spot so why rush the plan? Let's develop our own Hanfin type D prospect in Dobson/Bouchard.

Save Joulevi/Jake for ourselves. -20? hmmm... that's not good.

Tanev is +7 on a bad team.

well it would be nice if we could

the difficulty is the rebuild has been done without sufficient attention to dmen

who generally take longer to develop then o men

some better d should have been drafted first

so one way to overcome this problem is to acquire a higher end young established dman who is somewhat developed already

that's my take on it anyway

12 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

well it would be nice if we could

the difficulty is the rebuild has been done without sufficient attention to dmen

who generally take longer to develop then o men

some better d should have been drafted first

so one way to overcome this problem is to acquire a higher end young established dman who is somewhat developed already

that's my take on it anyway

I think Sbisa and Conoughton types would be more realistic to go after. I think we would get clobbered in a bidding war for Hanafin or even Carlson.

Mid level developed Dmen like your saying.

If we could somehow pull of Hanifin and Carlson off free agency, our defense would be fully rebuilt, and looking damn good too.

Hanifin - Carlson

Edler - Stecher (down the road, Juolevi can replace Edler, and maybe we can get an improvement on Stech)

Del Zotto - Gudbranson

Sautner/Pouliot/Brisebois/Hutton/Biega

Good mix of skill, size, speed and puck moving abilities. That leaves Tanev and Hutton open for trade, they could get us some nice assets back up front, or extra picks in this years draft.

We would still have a glut of defensemen so maybe we would need to get rid of another guy for another pick in this year's or next year's draft. Or maybe in a package with another roster player to improve our forward group.

It's fun to daydream...

12 hours ago, AllCanucksAllTheTime said:

Most of Canucks nation is clamoring for a defenseman to be drafted with the 7th overall pick in June, but what if that pick was an intricate piece in plucking Noah Hanifin out of Carolina?

Assuming GMJB and TL do in fact decide to take a blueliner at the draft, it's safe to assume one of Evan Bouchard, Adam Boqvist, Quinton Hughes, or Noah Dobson will be pulling a blue and green sweater over their head; but are any of those players better than an 18-year-old Noah Hanifin?

image.png.93cbc8b4266d86c8b8e92c8e542f9853.pngThis is a very basic side by side comparison of all five defensemen in their draft year. As you can see, Hanifin is right there with each of the potential draft picks that could come the Canucks way, but he comes with an added bonus of 239 NHL games already under his belt. He isn't an offensive dynamo like Boqvist or Bouchard, but the tools are there, and solidifying the defensive side of the blueline with players like Juloevi, Tanev, and Hanifin would allow a bigger leash for an offensive Troy Stecher, Ben Hutton, Jack Rathbone (potentially), or any future defenders the organization decides to draft.

Personally, I think the 7th for Hanifin is a definite conversation starter and GMJB should kick tires. The obvious name drops of Horvat, Boeser, Petterson, or Demko are grounds for hanging up, but the idea of having two picks in the top 10 for Carolina would most definitely peak Don Waddell's interest.

The flip side of the 239 NHL games advantage, is that he is an RFA at the moment.  Therefore, he's due for a raise and most likely a 2 years bridge contract, followed by a long-term, lucrative deal (or he could set himself up for UFA).  The Canucks won't be contenders for another 3 years, therefore i'd rather keep the 7th and his ELC.  Plus we get to develop him how we want.  I feel like a few guys like Dobson or Boqvist, might be NHL ready very soon.

I would still trade for Hanifin, since our defense is still our weakness, but I wouldn't give up the 7th with so many good defenseman available at that time and Benning's draft history.  Hanifin, is still a very good player, but he hasn't met the expectation put on him at the draft.  He was suppose to be a the best defenseman of his class, a #1 D, but I think he'll only be a #2 or #3 at best.  He has already been surpassed by Werenski and is about to be surpass by Chabot and Provorov.

1 hour ago, Vanuckles said:

If we could somehow pull of Hanifin and Carlson off free agency, our defense would be fully rebuilt, and looking damn good too.

Hanifin - Carlson

Edler - Stecher (down the road, Juolevi can replace Edler, and maybe we can get an improvement on Stech)

Del Zotto - Gudbranson

Sautner/Pouliot/Brisebois/Hutton/Biega

Good mix of skill, size, speed and puck moving abilities. That leaves Tanev and Hutton open for trade, they could get us some nice assets back up front, or extra picks in this years draft.

We would still have a glut of defensemen so maybe we would need to get rid of another guy for another pick in this year's or next year's draft. Or maybe in a package with another roster player to improve our forward group.

It's fun to daydream...

Yes to Hanifin but not our 7th  Carolina needs offence and a goalie. Send them Baertschi and Nielson plus maybe Sautner, then pick Dobson.

14 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

Yes to Hanifin but not our 7th  Carolina needs offence and a goalie. Send them Baertschi and Nielson plus maybe Sautner, then pick Dobson.

Beartschi would be a step down for them from Skinner and they're looking to trade away Skinner... They need good quality offensive help down the middle so that Jordan Staal doesn't have to do it all. That's something we do not have, so maybe we are not ideal trading partners after all. I think Horvat for Hanifin would be fair value, but I'm not sure that's a deal the Canucks would/should make.

24 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

So essentially send them a bunch of low/mid level spare parts? Yeah. That’s realistic. 

28 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

Beartschi would be a step down for them from Skinner and they're looking to trade away Skinner... They need good quality offensive help down the middle so that Jordan Staal doesn't have to do it all. That's something we do not have, so maybe we are not ideal trading partners after all. I think Horvat for Hanifin would be fair value, but I'm not sure that's a deal the Canucks would/should make.

You overvalue Hanifin, if you are trading Horvat I would want  their First and Hanifin  then maybe. 

24 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

So essentially send them a bunch of low/mid level spare parts? Yeah. That’s realistic. 

Why not, Nielson at the worlds showed what he could do, Baertschi is a 40 point guy on a bad team .Sautner is up coming they fill all the holes they need to fill. They can draft a Center if they want to move down. 

9 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

You overvalue Hanifin, if you are trading Horvat I would want  their First and Hanifin  then maybe. 

Well of course we would like that, but you have to look at where they value Hanifin, and I do not see how why they would feel like that's a realistic offer.

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

The flip side of the 239 NHL games advantage, is that he is an RFA at the moment.  Therefore, he's due for a raise and most likely a 2 years bridge contract, followed by a long-term, lucrative deal (or he could set himself up for UFA).  The Canucks won't be contenders for another 3 years, therefore i'd rather keep the 7th and his ELC.  Plus we get to develop him how we want.  I feel like a few guys like Dobson or Boqvist, might be NHL ready very soon.

I would still trade for Hanifin, since our defense is still our weakness, but I wouldn't give up the 7th with so many good defenseman available at that time and Benning's draft history.  Hanifin, is still a very good player, but he hasn't met the expectation put on him at the draft.  He was suppose to be a the best defenseman of his class, a #1 D, but I think he'll only be a #2 or #3 at best.  He has already been surpassed by Werenski and is about to be surpass by Chabot and Provorov.

I agree will a lot of your post but we have to remember the teams these players play for?

Werenski plays on a very very good team.. Provorov is playing on a decent flyers team..

Hanifin plays on Hurricanes and team goals against are not very good, look at there goaltenders..

So when you look at a player you have to consider many things...

If a good winger has no set up centre man his stats will go down..

Hanifin will be at least a #2 D man and just turned 21..

We draft #7 D man this guy is only a few years younger?

I would trade Baertchi & 2nd 2019 .. Hanifin & 4th 2018

Just now, Vanuckles said:

Well of course we would like that, but you have to look at where they value Hanifin, and I do not see how why they would feel like that's a realistic offer.

Why do we, as Canuck's fans (in the totally made up world of CDC) have to take into consideration the needs of another team?

We don't need Hanifin.  We already have Pouliot and Hutton.  Plus, we have Juiolevi coming, who is going to be better than Hanifin, and cost a lot less for the next 3 years.  

Maybe Hanifin is making crazy money demands, and that's why the Cane's are trading him?  Maybe he is another Jack Johnson?

1 minute ago, wildcam said:

I agree will a lot of your post but we have to remember the teams these players play for?

Werenski plays on a very very good team.. Provorov is playing on a decent flyers team..

Hanifin plays on Hurricanes and team goals against are not very good, look at there goaltenders..

So when you look at a player you have to consider many things...

If a good winger has no set up centre man his stats will go down..

Hanifin will be at least a #2 D man and just turned 21..

We draft #7 D man this guy is only a few years younger?

I would trade Baertchi & 2nd 2019 .. Hanifin & 4th 2018

Yes, this trade I would do, because if Hanifin doesn't turn out, we haven't overpaid to get him.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Yes, this trade I would do, because if Hanifin doesn't turn out, we haven't overpaid to get him.

Yes I would never trade #7 overall or Juolevi, Virtanen, Demko, Bo. Boeser, Pettersson in any trades at this time in rebuild..

Any team will have to sign new contract with Hanifin RFA ? Dollar amount say 2.8 -- 3.5 million range?

I could see Carolina wanting Sutter back... but we can't afford giving up a center. Maybe if we were a third wheel in a trade taking on salary for a team we could land Hanifan that way? We don't have the assets on our own to get him.... cause we are keeping our 7th!

Maybe...

Carolina: Kessel, Brassard & Nilsson

Pitts: Staal, Skinner and Jasek

Van: Hanifan and we retain salary on Skinner and Staal? ( a million for each year of their contracts?)

Kessel and Sullivan are on the outs and Piits probably would like Staal back. Also Carolina would love a big right winger.

Technically Pitts doesn't need us for the trade but we could if they wanted more money to spend on a UFA.

Archived