The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Tavares done with Islanders according to Sportsnet 590 Broadcaster (Toronto)

31 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I still hope that Tavares does the right thing and heads back to the place that have him his career in Long Island. 

I would normally agree, but some clubs are run so poorly they don’t deserve that loyalty.

The Islanders have robbed him of a chance to win for years through cheapness and mismanagement.  Ottawa is in the same boat, they don’t do everything they can to win so don’t get to play the loyalty card.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

I would normally agree, but some clubs are run so poorly they don’t deserve that loyalty.

The Islanders have robbed him of a chance to win for years through cheapness and mismanagement.  Ottawa is in the same boat, they don’t do everything they can to win so don’t get to play the loyalty card.

NY is changing rapidly now. 

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I still hope that Tavares does the right thing and heads back to the place that have him his career in Long Island. 

Drafting Tavares was a easy decision and any team would've given him his chance if they were picking in that spot. Tavares isn't an object to be bought and retained over some sense of loyalty. 

I think that's why I prefer the NBA and how empowered their players are to essentially do whatever they want. If you've worked your tail off to be one of the best players in the world, you shouldn't be judged for "not being loyal" and sticking it out through the thick and thin. Life is short and you need to make the most of it. Sort of how some of us normies are on the lookout for better opportunities. 

Well if the reports of no decision tonight are true... then doesn’t that likely mean NYI are out of it?

They can only offer the 8th year until he is a UFA, so if he is leaning towards re-signing he will be giving up a year of term.

Of course he could just be playing us and planning on signi ng with them a few minutes before the deadline.  He is effectively stopping any competition from going to back up plans as the entire trade/UFA front is waiting for this domino to fall.

Tampa needs to trade Johnson before midnight or his NTC kicks in and they would have a tough time clearing cap space after that.

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well if the reports of no decision tonight are true... then doesn’t that likely mean NYI are out of it?

They can only offer the 8th year until he is a UFA, so if he is leaning towards re-signing he will be giving up a year of term.

Of course he could just be playing us and planning on signi ng with them a few minutes before the deadline.  He is effectively stopping any competition from going to back up plans as the entire trade/UFA front is waiting for this domino to fall.

Tampa needs to trade Johnson before midnight or his NTC kicks in and they would have a tough time clearing cap space after that.

I know the Islanders brought in Lou to steady the ship, which he’s done.  However, JT suffered there for his entire career.  He’s gone July 1st.  Next July 1st it’s EK’s turn. 

5 hours ago, .Naslund said:

Drafting Tavares was a easy decision and any team would've given him his chance if they were picking in that spot. Tavares isn't an object to be bought and retained over some sense of loyalty. 

I think that's why I prefer the NBA and how empowered their players are to essentially do whatever they want. If you've worked your tail off to be one of the best players in the world, you shouldn't be judged for "not being loyal" and sticking it out through the thick and thin. Life is short and you need to make the most of it. Sort of how some of us normies are on the lookout for better opportunities. 

There should be a combination of loyalty, freedom and compensation 

1 hour ago, BoqvistOrBust said:

There should be a combination of loyalty, freedom and compensation 

He'll take a hometown discount if he feels they have a chance to compete. One shouldn't waste their career on a losing team just to remain loyal. McDavid send to be regretting his decision a bit haha

1 minute ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

I have a sick feeling that it’s going to be San Jose, they better win a cup within 3 years or they will be stuck with a lot of bad contracts with older players after that

Man I hope it is. I will puke if the Laughs get him.....geez!!

44 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Tom GulittiVerified account @TomGulittiNHL 1h1 hour ago

I have no idea what's going to happen, but the minimal news coming out on John Tavares today has Lou Lamoriello written all over it. Not sure that'd be the case if Lamoriello wasn't still involved in this process in some way.

the think is now he can only sign for 7 years, but its going to be the islanders.

17 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

the think is now he can only sign for 7 years, but its going to be the islanders.

No reason for JT to go back to the Islanders now. If so he would have done it for 8 years. The only possibility being he did resign for NYI for 8 but it hasnt come out yet.

Otherwise, he has chosen a new team. 

Archived