The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] C/RW Kevin Hayes could be in play

Rush17

On 2018-06-17 at 10:32 PM, theo5789 said:

If Tkachuk falls to 7th, then there are some surprises that may have happened in the picks ahead of us (considering some have him ranked as high as 3), so I imagine that would push one of the dmen down to 9th. Kotkaniemi is getting buzz for a top 10 pick and now there are rumblings about Kravtsov and some others as well that could drop some of those dmen even more giving us more to choose from.

As for Hayes, he holds onto the 2nd line center spot until hopefully Pettersson or Gaudette is ready to take that spot. Hayes may or may not be part of the future successful team in the future, but he would help contribute towards it. I don't think the drop from 7th to 9th is enough of a concern of losing a top end prospect.

You are assuming a few player is moving up from outside of the top 10 if tkatchuk is available at 7 u take it and run. I would not give away the 7th plus whatever just to move to 9th and Hayes. Rangers are not dumb enough to give away Hayes for spare change so the whatever add on top of the 7th ain’t gonna be a cheap spare parts that we can afford. As u said the 7th to 9th the drop isn’t significant so why would rangers give away Hayes without getting something significant in return on top of the 7th. 

5 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

You are assuming a few player is moving up from outside of the top 10 if tkatchuk is available at 7 u take it and run. I would not give away the 7th plus whatever just to move to 9th and Hayes. Rangers are not dumb enough to give away Hayes for spare change so the whatever add on top of the 7th ain’t gonna be a cheap spare parts that we can afford. As u said the 7th to 9th the drop isn’t significant so why would rangers give away Hayes without getting something significant in return on top of the 7th. 

What if we are targeting a dman the whole time? If NYR really wanted Tkachuk at 7 or someone else, perhaps giving up Hayes (who may be expendable with the acquisition of Namestikov) is how they get it done. In this scenario, Rangers take Tkachuk and perhaps the targetted dman is still available at 9th, so we gain a 2nd line C and get our target pick. With that said, you're right in that it'll depend on what else NYR is possibly asking for in addition to the deal. If it's like Goldobin that they want, I would certainly consider it.

20 hours ago, theo5789 said:

You do realize Hayes is a centerman with size that took a large portion of the draws and was above 50%, plus is their top PK forward and plays 2nd unit PP right? That's certainly a lot more than Baertschi contributes on top of his offensive output. For 2 spots where there will still likely be a decent player available, I think he would be a solid 2nd line centerman. Also takes pressure off Horvat on the defensive end of things and to focus on offense. Also would give us the option to consider moving Sutter if Gaudette is ready for a 3rd line role.

A move like this would contribute to our rebuild.

I'm sorry, that is not how I see it. I would much rather keep what we have in the hope that we snag BT or one of the top defensemen than make that possibility more remote. Hayes is decent but he has not got the potential of some of the players we can pick up. We could have someone just as good or better in Gaudette or Gaunce next season.

wai_lai416

• Canucks Rookie
  •  
  •  
  • Members
  • 1,545 posts

depends on whats available at 7th one of the D or Brady Tkatchuk.. i take any one of those than whatever's available at 9th + hayes.. by the time canucks are revelant 3-4 years he'll be at the tail end of his prime.. and this team's not exactly in a position where they can afford to give up drafting a higher end prospect to trade down to get a 25-26 year old player that most likely won't factor into the future.

•  

Hayes is interesting

He's a good faceoff guy (as really improved) and a capable center.

Big body.

Good goal scorer.

Good possession numbers and schooled in the AV tradition of two way forwards (42% ozone starts last year and a 25 goal scorer nevertheless).

He'd definitely be in an interesting option to play with a playmaking winger like Pettersson (in the interim to whether he eventually takes a C role).

The Canucks willingness to move from 7 to 9 would depend entirely on the perceived gaps in value between the tier of players from 3 to 9.

Personally, I'm not that convinced that the separation of value from 7 to 9 is necessarily worth a player like Hayes, so I definitely look hard at that if it's an option, because when you're looking at a field like Dobson, Hughes, Walhstrom, Bouchard, Boqvist in the 7 to 9 range, it's not clear who the bpa is - the relative parity in that group may make a deal make sense - but in either event this may come down to the draft floor and who the picks remaining at 7 and 9 are - assuming the NYR can't manage to trade up higher in dangling Hayes, which might be quite possible.

5 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

Maybe our 7th , Grandund, and Sautner for Hayes and their first, 9th overall

I'd do that.  I like Granny and Sautner, but I think the player we get at 9 could be just as good (in a couple years of development) as the guy we get at 7.

Think JB might actually do something like this?  Maybe that's the rumors about our #7 pick moving, is in a deal like you suggest, where we just move down a couple spots?

48 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'd do that.  I like Granny and Sautner, but I think the player we get at 9 could be just as good (in a couple years of development) as the guy we get at 7.

Think JB might actually do something like this?  Maybe that's the rumors about our #7 pick moving, is in a deal like you suggest, where we just move down a couple spots?

Sign Beagle then you have Horvat, Hayes, Sutter and Beagle up the middle. 

16 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

Sign Beagle then you have Horvat, Hayes, Sutter and Beagle up the middle. 

Ooh, will need A LOT of scoring from the wing with that group of Cs.  Also need a lot more from the D.

Luckily we have Brock.  The D well, I guess we really will have to draft well this year.

Trade seems a bit of a fantasy though, can't see NY parting with a quality player like this for some scraps and a chance to move up 2 spots.  Maybe Granlund would of had that value after 2017, but not after last season.

14 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Ooh, will need A LOT of scoring from the wing with that group of Cs.  Also need a lot more from the D.

Luckily we have Brock.  The D well, I guess we really will have to draft well this year.

Trade seems a bit of a fantasy though, can't see NY parting with a quality player like this for some scraps and a chance to move up 2 spots.  Maybe Granlund would of had that value after 2017, but not after last season.

Maybe we add or subtract but look at what Florida paid for Hoffman. 3 draft picks for a 30 goal scorer with baggage  I see a deal to be made maybe a second next year added

17 hours ago, oldnews said:

Leipsic Horvat Virtanen

Pettersson Hayes Boeser.

Granlund Sutter Eriksson

Gaunce Beagle/Richie Motte

Goldobin Gaudette

Out: Baer and Gagner

I like your lineup other than Leipsic who I question as a top 6 player. Canucks should have the TOI available to find out. 

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I like your lineup other than Leipsic who I question as a top 6 player. Canucks should have the TOI available to find out. 

Leipsic played 16:22/g in 14 g here.

In any event, I think he's a good fit there - good vision, dynamic, high energy player - that line, with Horvat and Virtanen, I think would be hard to handle and solid at both ends of the ice.   Leipsic could wreak some havoc with a pair of heavy two way linemates like that imo.

What it enables is for Hayes to center Pettersson and Boeser - which I'd love to see: a big, physical center creating space (who can also put the puck in the net) while Pettersson takes advantage - would love to see what Boeser can do with that kind of playmaker.

Of course, Goldobin is welcome to take those minutes from Leipsic, but at this point I'd lean strongly to Leipsic.  We'll see what happens in camp.

Bottom six are a pair of high end shutdown lines imo - would be able to provide that top 6 with opportunities - the Sutter line could very well turn the tables with some secondary scoring, even in hard minutes.

And having a pair of youth options like Goldobin and Gaudette - a lot of flexibility for Green.  That imo is pretty solid, young talented depth.

Archived