The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Hughes will be the best player on this team in a couple of years. Imo will be a top 10 player in this league someday. Has the qualities of a superstar in the new NHL, skating and IQ.

Hughes really heating up now, looking very confident out there offensively.

I'm betting he'll beat Jovo's record of 6th in Norris voting someday.

1 minute ago, J-23 said:

Hughes will be the best player on this team in a couple of years. Imo will be a top 10 player in this league someday. Has the qualities of a superstar in the new NHL, skating and IQ.

Hughes really heating up now, looking very confident out there offensively.

That overtime was payback. The Habs roughed him up. Hughes built some serious character tonight.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

I'm better he'll beat Jovo's record of 6th in Norris voting someday.

Probably win 6 Norris trophies at least :ph34r:

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

That overtime was payback. The Habs roughed him up. Hughes built some serious character tonight.

That will happen to him for the first couple of seasons. 

3 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Probably win 6 Norris trophies at least :ph34r:

That will happen to him for the first couple of seasons. 

Green had a pep talk with him. You see Hughes’ facial expression go from emotionally overwhelmed to hockey mode in an instant. 

Nothing short of beautiful.

• Huggy Bear 1

On 2/21/2020 at 10:22 AM, BPA said:

Yes.

But the argument could be made that Makar is better because he played less games and got similar points.  Plus Eastern bias hates Vancouver and Canada.  Can't have Vancouver have another Calder winner 2 years in a row.

LOL. 

I think Hughes is going to take the choice out of their hands.  He’s been playing too good, since the all-star break.  He looks unique out there, like we’re seeing something we haven’t seen in many decades.  

On 2/23/2020 at 1:03 AM, filthycanuck said:

From what Ive seen from both this season, talent for talent, you put both of them on the ice same time, Makar is the better player

But impact, different story, as many people stated and I think so too, Quinn Hughes has had much bigger, much more profound impact to this team than Makar with the Avs. I do believe if you switched both of them, Makar here, Hughes with the Avs, Makar would have more points than Q but it wouldnt equate to more wins. Hughes just makes his defensive partner and everybody in the ice better, something that Makar, as pretty as he gets the points, doesnt

Makar is a flashier player, but I wouldn’t say better.  Makar plays the game with tremendous speed, more so than Hughes who is very fast himself but Hughes’ vision is unlike any defencemen we’ve seen in a long time.  He slows the game down and process the game faster than Makar.  Hughes is on another level. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 11:41 AM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

What advanced stats are you using. Last time I checked they were next to identical. 
corsi 51.1 vs 52.7

fenwick 49.2 vs 52.7

SAT 50.3 vs 53.0

isat/60 9.16 vs 9.47

ozone start 58.3 vs 61.5

quinn averages more TOI including pp TOI
dahlin average 50 seconds more SH TOI/game 
Dahlin leads his D draft class with 62 hits. Quinn has a total of 6.
Dahlin averages 2.43 blocked shots per game, Hughes only 1.65. 
give aways Dahlin averages 2.13/game, Hughes is 2.58/game

take aways Dahlin is .79/game, Hughes is 1.42

Dahlin has .71 p/gp, Hughes has 0.82p/gp. 

yeah Dahlin just doesn’t have the same potential..... he’s making nhl history but just doesn’t have the same potential. 

Dahlin < Hughes

Miscellaneous stats < Actual Points  

Nobody Cares that Dahlin has more Penalty Mins.  

• Wat 1

3 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Dahlin < Hughes

Miscellaneous stats < Actual Points  

Nobody Cares that Dahlin has more Penalty Mins.  

Where did I mention anything about penalty minutes?

There’s more to playing “defense“ than putting up points. If there wasn’t, the Norris trophy would simply just go to the highest producing defensemen. 

• Huggy Bear 1

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'm betting he'll beat Jovo's record of 6th in Norris voting someday.

I think anybody who would bet against that would be pretty silly, considering that he is currently 4th in NHL Dmen scoring, three quarters of the way through his rookie season. With a strong finish he could do better than 6th in Norris voting this season, forget someday.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Where did I mention anything about penalty minutes?

There’s more to playing “defense“ than putting up points. If there wasn’t, the Norris trophy would simply just go to the highest producing defensemen. 

At this point it’s clear Hughes (and Makar) are more impactful players - contribute more to their teams’ winning - than Dahlin.  I like Dahlin too, but he’s not a superstar.  He’s more like Hiskanen; a very good player. 

Ranking these guys in order of impacting winning:  Hughes, Makar, Hiskanen, (somewhat of a drop off) Dahlin.  

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Makar is a flashier player, but I wouldn’t say better.  Makar plays the game with tremendous speed, more so than Hughes who is very fast himself but Hughes’ vision is unlike any defencemen we’ve seen in a long time.  He slows the game down and process the game faster than Makar.  Hughes is on another level. 

Of the really young D in the league (Hughes, Makar, Hiskanen, and Dahlin) this is how they are ranked fir their impacting winning. 

22 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

This is gonna be a tight one this year.

Huggy Bear has the edge in overall points as well as PPP and TOI/GP, but Makar has slightly better P/GP and his +/- is better (yeah, I know +/- isn't the be all/end all stat). 

At least they're both in the West so the TSN eastern bias shouldn't be as much of a factor as it typically is every year.