The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

He's making the team next year. He's NHL ready, as he showed at the world's. 

This kid runs a line. The concerns about his defensive play should be distinguished because when he's on the ice his team almost always has the puck.

Boeser,  Pettersson, and Hughes... we have been getting some major draft luck lately. These guys are exactly what we've been needing. As others have said, I haven't been this excited right away about a draft pick ever. Hughes could turn out to be the steal of this draft - our very own Patrick Kane ho plays D :o

It's funny, when Burke was commenting on Hughes 'small body' over and over P. Kane came to mind in his draft year.

Watching Hughes highlights I kept seeing a D with forward like dangles and skating.

I was skeptical about the D going in (thinking we were on the Dobson or Bouchard path), but now that I'm seeing what Hughes brings I think we got real, real lucky.

I guess Detroit had no choice and had to take Zadina - I'm still pretty shocked though that they passed on an elite puck moving d-man.

We are fortunate that the Yotes have such a heart-on for analytics - and that they already have OEL.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

So happy about this pick. Finally we will have a d man who can skate with our speedy forwards and pass them the puck in full flight.

I can already see Hughes and Virtanen being a huge force pushing the opposition back easily. 

We’ve got a great bunch of players coming up the next few years and lots of competition for the foreseeable future which means they’ll have to earn it and push their game to the next level to be on the big club. 

I kind of liked Bouchard’s total package but I assumed Hughes wouldn’t be there so I just hoping to get the 3rd best dman in the draft. 

With this shift to every team seemingly having a highly skilled speedsters on the back end it’ll be interesting to see how this changes the game in 3 or 4 years.

So many situations where your d man will be leading the rush on transition with the responsible forward being the trailer. 

Now if we can get some more d prospects or picks out of edler and tanev. I already love our top 4 to be

hughes

juolevi

tryamkin 

Gudbranson 

I know guddy has a lot of haters on here but I disagree with a lot of the comments I read and the uncertainties of try returning but I got faith both will pan out 

After watching the draft and re-watching the video of the Canucks drafting Quinn Hughes over and over I can honestly say I am so super glad that Brian Burke doesn't have anything to do with the Canucks any more. The dinosaur would have us drafting someone similar to Mackenzie Stewart or Shawn Antoski. Lol get with the times Brian you're a horrible judge of hockey talent!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

I'm dreaming of a Calder battle between Hughes and Hughes... :ph34r:

Demko says hi 

Demko pettersson Hughes all at nhl awards for Calder bettman decides there is no longer a Calder trophy 

Edited by LegionOfDoom
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, cbdoubleu said:

I think Toews and Kane?

Had to check. Yeah Kane won it and Toews finished 3rd so was an official finalist.

Lat year Matthews won it and Nylander and Marner were 5,6 in voting so not offically finalists I guess.

Am I the only one praying Detroit would take Hughes and we get Zadina? Probably not I’m guessing. Not upset about the pick, even though I wanted Boqvist because of his shot. I had Zadina at 2 ahead of Svechnikov, Boqvist at 4 and Hughes at 7. Think Hughes is closer to nhl ready than Boqvist, hoping he makes the team out of camp this year, cause Boqvist won’t imo.

Was hoping for a centre in round 2, thought there were a few better options left on the board, but woo offers something we don’t currently have so not bad. Thinking Olofsson with his friends from Timra would have been good in the locker room. 

Clearly our our focus this draft was on defence meaning next year should be to improve our Center depth. Sure am glad Arizona screwed the pouch so we got who Jim wanted, and I hope he was right.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Watchincanucks said:

Am I the only one praying Detroit would take Hughes and we get Zadina? Probably not I’m guessing. Not upset about the pick, even though I wanted Boqvist because of his shot. I had Zadina at 2 ahead of Svechnikov, Boqvist at 4 and Hughes at 7. Think Hughes is closer to nhl ready than Boqvist, hoping he makes the team out of camp this year, cause Boqvist won’t imo.

Was hoping for a centre in round 2, thought there were a few better options left on the board, but woo offers something we don’t currently have so not bad. Thinking Olofsson with his friends from Timra would have been good in the locker room. 

Clearly our our focus this draft was on defence meaning next year should be to improve our Center depth. Sure am glad Arizona screwed the pouch so we got who Jim wanted, and I hope he was right.

Can you say Jack Hughes

15 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Gaudette throws his hat into the ring too :lol:

If 2 out of 4 do well then the Canucks could be play-off bound. If 4 out of 4 are fighting for the calder  then holy cow. We would not be a lottery pick again for maybe a decade.

This team is looking like it could be a very fast team, If not the fastest team in the NHL. Look how slow the McDavids Oilers looked last year. Speed is a team game. I am so stoked. YEH BABY!

Welcome Hughes, wasn't my choice at #7 but lets hope you can become a top pair D that can be effective in both ends of the ice. Put some mass on that frame and work like a dog on your shot!

Best of luck, your going to need it in this market.

• Haha 1