The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

Benning's strategy is clear now, he values skating above all else.  Tryamkin was picked not because he is 6'7" but because he can really skate and is 6'7".  This is the linchpin player in this draft for his philosophy.  Watching him skating up ice with Jake in full stride will be like a powerskating clinic.  His stick handling is fairly remarkable too.

Not a booming shot but also a very selective shooter with an accurate wrister.  I think CA summed it along the lines of he doesn't throw a lot of low chance shots on net but prefers to set up high opportunity scoring chances.  Not a bad thing.  Get someone out there on the PP with a big slapper and good to go.

Perhaps more than anyone else in this draft this kid will bring people out of their seats with some of the things he does, first he is an exciting hockey player, an entertaining hockey player, but also a very good one.  I suspect we will see him next year on the right side, that is just wild conjecture though.

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Benning's strategy is clear now, he values skating above all else.  Tryamkin was picked not because he is 6'7" but because he can really skate and is 6'7".  This is the linchpin player in this draft for his philosophy.  Watching him skating up ice with Jake in full stride will be like a powerskating clinic.  His stick handling is fairly remarkable too.

Not a booming shot but also a very selective shooter with an accurate wrister.  I think CA summed it along the lines of he doesn't throw a lot of low chance shots on net but prefers to set up high opportunity scoring chances.  Not a bad thing.  Get someone out there on the PP with a big slapper and good to go.

Perhaps more than anyone else in this draft this kid will bring people out of their seats with some of the things he does, first he is an exciting hockey player, an entertaining hockey player, but also a very good one.  I suspect we will see him next year on the right side, that is just wild conjecture though.

I'd put Try on the pp with Hughes

2 minutes ago, tas said:

I'm pretty sure that #1 unit is destined for 4 forwards. I could see going with the 2nd dman against particular pk units or when things have gone dry, but as long as newell brown or someone with similar philosophy is calling the shots, I think we're looking at:

6      ??      40

-horvat as the net front/puck retriever/behind net cycle option

-boeser as the primary one-time option and alternate quarterback

-?? as the (preferably right shot) forward in the bumper/high slot shot role

-pettersson as the primary qb option and alternate one-timer

-hughes as the point shooter/distributor, protector of the line and alternate quaterback

Good post. 

Botchford on Hughes possibly joining Vancouver next season

Jason Botchford: GM Benning believes Hughes is close to being ready to play for Canucks

http://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/jason-botchford-gm-benning-believes-hughes-is-close-to-being-ready-to-play-for-canucks/wcm/fa4559db-3cde-4cd6-b921-6ec7a6fc1ec5

Sorry font is so large on cell lol

• Thanks 1

Hughes can get the 9 game tryout to start the season and it will be clear after that if he needs to spend time in Utica, and who knows that may even be apparent in camp. But either way I think we'll be hearing about a signing sooner than later. 

• Upvote 1

I’m not overly opinionated in this pick due to never seeing Hughes play. However, I have faith in Benning and the scouts selecting who they feel will help the team the most. If this kid turns out to what they say his potential is, I’m very excited. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Hughes can get the 9 game tryout to start the season and it will be clear after that if he needs to spend time in Utica, and who knows that may even be apparent in camp. But either way I think we'll be hearing about a signing sooner than later. 

There are too many head hunters in the AHL looking to make a name for themselves , you don't put this kind of talent in a rough league. Keep him here and give him easy minutes. 

3 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

There are too many head hunters in the AHL looking to make a name for themselves , you don't put this kind of talent in a rough league. Keep him here and give him easy minutes. 

it depends on how he progresses, you don't want his confidence crushed up here either. If he's struggling with easy minutes he's better off in Utica out of the spotlight. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it depends on how he progresses, you don't want his confidence crushed up here either. If he's struggling with easy minutes he's better off in Utica out of the spotlight. 

So what he did in the World Championship playing Defense with NHLers means nothing ? If he thinks he can play, play him here not UTICA. 

1 minute ago, vannuck59 said:

So what he did in the World Championship playing Defense with NHLers means nothing ? If he thinks he can play, play him here not UTICA. 

who said that? that showing is whats probably going to get him that 9 game look, which is hardly nothing, thats quite an achievement. Not sure why you are so down on Utica. I'm sure he does think he can play, lets find out and then Benning will do whats best for his development. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

who said that? that showing is whats probably going to get him that 9 game look, which is hardly nothing, thats quite an achievement. Not sure why you are so down on Utica. I'm sure he does think he can play, lets find out and then Benning will do whats best for his development. 

Im pretty sure it’s NHL or back to college and that the AHL isn’t a good option

I agree on the start in Van 9 games , then If he goes down after the 9 games call in the goon squad find the toughest D man to pair with him and protect him . Still playing here is his best option other than College but I prefer to get him under contract. Strike will the iron is hot. 

Edited by vannuck59