The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

54 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Define generational.

From the sounds of it he's going to be a surefire franchise player. The next Patrick Kane.

Crosby, Ovie, McDavid, Dahlen is my definition. Guess little Hughes is the kinda player the hockey gods need to gift us.

7 minutes ago, Specz said:

Holy crap I've been lurking in these boards for years and I finally made an account because of this draft pick. Great pick by JB. This guy was #3 on my list behind Svech and I literally jumped out of my seat at work when I heard JB call his name. (WATCH HIS SHIFT BY SHIFT in the IIHF World Championships if you don't believe me. He literally makes opposing MEN "spin out" trying to catch him around corners because of his speed. I am not exaggerating they literally spin out...) Kid will be a superstar guys, I haven't been this excited for the Canucks since 2010 and I am 100% behind this new Vancouver Canucks. Only a few small pieces left missing guys but I believe we will see the strongest iteration of the Canucks in franchise history very soon and I CANNOT wait. GO CANUCKS GO! GO CANUCKS GO!

Welcome to the light side! 

Go Canucks Go! :)

Hope to see more of you!

8 minutes ago, taskicon said:

Hutton maybe but Stetcher that's crazy talk. It might push him down the lineup if Hughes comes in hot.

I held this poll last night. Ran it for 24 hours

Also this one:

Make that what you will. Not a ton of votes on poll #2 but an ok number. Was tied 33% across the board at one point.

I think that if you kept the skill-set of Dahlin and Hughes the same but exchanged the height and weight then Hughes would have been the consensus number 1 overall. The kid is that good! The size of the players is what controlled people's assessments.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

One more reason to let Pettersson cook for another season in the SHL and also to bulk up a bit more and maybe given more opportunities to play center. If we don't get Hughes, I'll be happy with Kaako as well.

That is so not happening :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cory40 said:

C anucks will not be a draft lottery team next year. And if they are they will have very little chance of winning first overall. 

I’d argue we will be. We are in an incredibly tough division. We are very young and lots to learn yet. Boeser will have a lot more focus on him especially now that the Sedins are gone. We likely won’t replace that offense this year. Our goaltending is still sub par. Defense is a work in progress. 2019-20 is our year to start the accension. Joelevi, HUGHES, petterson, demkoand the next HUGHES hopefully all starting their nhl careers that year :) 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TNucks1 said:

hahaha, benning was so pumped during his interview, looked like a little kid during xmas, giddy as all hell

If anyone had any doubts about Hughes, they should evaporate when you look at Benning's reaction.

The draft is Christmas to him, and Hughes was the equivalent of a Nintendo 64.

Edited by Qwags
  • Haha 4

My 2nd favourite player in the draft after Tkachuk. Not disappointed at all we couldn’t get Tkachuk, Hughes is such a fantastic pick (had him as our 1st choice in the CDC consensus).

Sens got a 60-point do-everything winger while we got arguably the smoothest skater in the whole draft. So excited! 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Specz said:

Holy crap I've been lurking in these boards for years and I finally made an account because of this draft pick. Great pick by JB. This guy was #3 on my list behind Svech and I literally jumped out of my seat at work when I heard JB call his name. (WATCH HIS SHIFT BY SHIFT in the IIHF World Championships if you don't believe me. He literally makes opposing MEN "spin out" trying to catch him around corners because of his speed. I am not exaggerating they literally spin out...) Kid will be a superstar guys, I haven't been this excited for the Canucks since 2010 and I am 100% behind this new Vancouver Canucks. Only a few small pieces left missing guys but I believe we will see the strongest iteration of the Canucks in franchise history very soon and I CANNOT wait. GO CANUCKS GO! GO CANUCKS GO!

Mind posting a link to the shift by shift?

Need to trade Hutton now for sure. Leave some room for some of our LD to step in. Sautner, McEneny, Hughes, Brisebois, Pouliot, Juolevi etc

Next year I think Hughes is back in the NCAA or Utica but he looks close to being NHL ready.

Next year

Edler-Stetcher

Pouliot-Tanev

Del Zotto-Guddy

Juolevi-Biega

McEneny-Sautner

2019-20

Juolevi-Stetcher

Pouliot-Guddy

Hughes-Tanev(or UFA)

7 hours ago, Rush17 said:

God I am in love with this kid

it's like we finally got that house we have been saving our entire lives for.  Or that brand new Ferrari lol. (not that I have either)  but its like that.. wow. a potenital #1 DMAN baby!!!

#1 Dman! Never expected to get one. No wonder Benning was excited. Good things do come in small packages!

• Upvote 2

On 2018-06-23 at 8:06 AM, naslundfan921 said:

Excited to have two blue-chip smart D Men in the system now. Heard Hughes say he could play either side so maybe one they form an elite top pairing for us. Camp will be interesting with these two pushing for spots as well. I am more conservative in my expectations though so I don't expect all of our kids to come up at once. I think gifting them spots is bad for their long-term development. Of our pool, I will predict only Gaudette and EP will crack the opening day roster with OJ initially being sent down but quickly returning when the inevitable injury hits and becoming a regular

Woo is another blue chip guy. Many expected him to go in the late first round. 

He will be a great top 4 RHD.  Him paired with either Quinn or OJ looks very good in the future. 

Utunen is a darkhorse guy. He and Rathbone could surprise in a few years. 

Anyway we slice it, our defence prospect pool has improved by leaps and bounds.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2