The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

9 hours ago, John_Guest said:

Let's say things don't go your way though. Then it will be something like...

1. Hughes

2. Kakko

3. Byram

4.Cozens 

5. Dach 

6. Boldy

7.Turcotte

8. Krebs

9. Zegras

Now what do you do?

Me, at that point I'd have my ears open for a trade.

Oh man, that just broke my heart a little lol! 

I’d still be very happy with Newhook

or Caufield, and to a lesser extent with whichever of the D’s our scouts like best. I’m really hoping for one of the high caliber forwards at 10 though. The top half of this draft is fortunately stacked IMO so regardless we should be getting a quality player, I just hate that most of our competition are getting quality players too lol!

Podkolzin is such a wildcard. I’ve only seen him play in the U18’s and I thought he was alright. At the Hlinka/Gretzky tournament though he absolutely dominated. I really don’t where I stand on him. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Pears said:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on Arthur Kaliyev? 51 goals and 51 points in 67 games as a 17 year old looks amazing. 

button says he reminds him of goldobin... highly skilled but doesn’t always, bring it. that scares me away from him.

• Cheers 3

27 minutes ago, mll said:

The Edmonton Oilers have sent their in-house reporters to the combine and have been posting the different interviews on their twitter account - Byram, Dach, Turcotte, Cozens, Newhook among others.  Zegras here:

There always seem to be so many other teams with so much more draft content than the Canucks. Oilers post all their interviews at the combine. Carolina and Columbus post in depth behind the scenes looks at their year end scouts meetings. Chicago posts multiple videos on the entire process of scouting and organizing their players. All we get every year is one 4-5 minute video and then short behind the scenes at the draft. Columbus has a video 3 times as long from the 2015 draft floor. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, TGokou said:

I'm pretty sure Seider would be a Parayko comparable. He will be counted on defensively while chipping in 25-35 pts in his prime. I'm not sure I see much more offensive upside with this guy then that. It is a still top pairing if he can chip in once in a while holding the fort defensively while Hughes does his work on the other side.

the hockey news draft book compares him to marc edouard vlasic. that is his best case scenario.

10 hours ago, John_Guest said:

Let's say things don't go your way though. Then it will be something like...

1. Hughes

2. Kakko

3. Byram

4.Cozens 

5. Dach 

6. Boldy

7.Turcotte

8. Krebs

9. Zegras

Now what do you do?

Me, at that point I'd have my ears open for a trade.

I wouldn't mind Podk if he falls to 10, but other than that, might as well make a trade.  How 'bout Rangers get the 10th overall and Nucks get #20 + #49?

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, TGokou said:

I'm pretty sure Seider would be a Parayko comparable. He will be counted on defensively while chipping in 25-35 pts in his prime. I'm not sure I see much more offensive upside with this guy then that. It is a still top pairing if he can chip in once in a while holding the fort defensively while Hughes does his work on the other side.

Seider made one play that sealed it for me...I think it was agains the USA were he checked someone off the puck in the D. zone, right in front of his net...he then slid a perfect one timer kind of 10 foot pass to his winger and busted through the opposing forwards for a return pass on the give and go....he then flew out of the zone with the puck before anyone knew what he was doing.

The speed of which he thought of the play and pulled it off ...was simply off the charts!!!  It was an unstoppable breakout play that really showed how quick his mind is.

If we add him to Quinn and Oli we would have 3 guys who can beat people out of the D-zone while carrying the puck with them....

That is an irresistible force that no team will be able to defend against.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, YearoftheNuck said:

Podkolzin is such a wildcard. I’ve only seen him play in the U18’s and I thought he was alright. At the Hlinka/Gretzky tournament though he absolutely dominated. I really don’t where I stand on him. 

I remember being so impressed with him during the World Juniors. His game is exceptionally mature for a player his age. 

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

button says he reminds him of goldobin... highly skilled but doesn’t always, bring it. that scares me away from him.

Yea that is the sketchy part. That kind of production at that age is fascinating though. 

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

the hockey news draft book compares him to marc edouard vlasic. that is his best case scenario.

Anywhere between Paratyko and Vlasic would land him in "top 5 pick of the year" territory ...

If we had Hughes on the first pair, Juolevi on the second and Seider on the 3rd...the puck would never be in our end longer than 10 seconds....!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YearoftheNuck said:

Oh man, that just broke my heart a little lol! 

I’d still be very happy with Newhook

or Caufield, and to a lesser extent with whichever of the D’s our scouts like best. I’m really hoping for one of the high caliber forwards at 10 though. The top half of this draft is fortunately stacked IMO so regardless we should be getting a quality player, I just hate that most of our competition are getting quality players too lol!

I get it. Go for the points.

Me, I'd have a different priority. At that point I'd go for skill and speed but with size. To me it's time to balance things out. I'd use # 10 to take whichever scuttlebutt told me was going to go first after that - Lavoie or Seider. Then I'd go big time after the next one trading down to get him. Draft 2 snarly big guys who we can be confident will make the NHL then sign Tryamkin, (deal with our problem Russian before looking for another one.) Then with Zack we're ready for all our skillful smurfs who will be coming up soon and we might even be balanced out well enough to take another one next year.

But that's just me. I imagine there's a reason I'm not GM...or even a scout. ;) 

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Parayko isn’t a top pair imho. He’s a great 3/4. He’s been a consistent 30-35 pt dman who plays physical and is a good PP2 point man. Pieterangelo is a top pair dman.

Arguably the only top pair dman in the draft is Byram, all the other names would have to exceed their expectations to reach top pairing. I do believe out of all the next 4-5 Seider is the guy with the best chance of that. Moreover, if he’s paired w Hughes we could have a dominant dcorps down the road. 

Hughes Seider

Tryamkin Woo

Juolevi Stecher 

In St. Louis there is debate over who is better Parayko or Pieterangelo. 

In the SCF Parayko is getting most ice time on the Blues. He plays against opposing teams top line.

He played 27+ mins last game..

26+ in game 1

most time on ice 

most PP time on ice

most short handed time on ice

Which 2 Dmen would you play over him on the Canucks top pair.  Tanev Hutton Stecher ? I dont think so..

If any player in this draft has a worst case scenario of becoming a Parayko like you said then i would take him 1st overall. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

The fact Podkolzin had to mention his NHL intentions speaks volumes about people's stupidity.

"I want to stay in Russia until I am NHL ready"

"OH MER GAHD HE DOESN'T WANNA BE IN THE NHL :frantic:  Probably another entitled Russian scumbag."

He won't be around at 10 anyway. But it sure was funny seeing all the people hate on the Russian for Russian reasons.

• Upvote 1