The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Couple days ago i was watching a Canucks draft meeting video.

Canucks had Q Hughes ranked 3rd last year. He fell to us way after that.

Never know what's going to happen at the draft.  Trades , off the board picks , players drop etc etc 

Too hard to predict but Canucks have been prioritizing speed, skating  and skill last cpl drafts. 

I don't see why that would change now. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't see why that would change now. 

Ya it's been working well last cpl years. I expect same strategy to continue. 

They can always trade later for size or positional needs.  Best thing to do is keep accumulating top tier talent for now... 

When need arises a young skilled forward could be traded for a young Dman or vice versa.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Ya it's been working well last cpl years. I expect same strategy to continue. 

They can always trade later for size or positional needs.  Best thing to do is keep accumulating top tier talent for now... 

When need arises a young skilled forward could be traded for a young Dman or vice versa.

from the rumour yap I think thats exactly what Benning is trying to do. I do wonder if Virtanen is still on PHI's radar... we'll see.

I just can't see them going off the board and going for a Seider or someone like that, not this year. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

from the rumour yap I think thats exactly what Benning is trying to do. I do wonder if Virtanen is still on PHI's radar... we'll see.

I just can't see them going off the board and going for a Seider or someone like that, not this year. 

Apparently Ghost might be available from Philly. He's LD though. Plus small body..  we already have enough of those. Great contract.

Didn't have a great year last season but he's a very good offensive Dman. 

Cost will be too high for JB tho. 

I'd rather he try to go after Trouba IF Trouba agrees to an extension. 

• Cheers 1

If Nolan Foote drops a bit he could be good value. I thought production just wasn’t enough this year for me to want him at our high 2nd. However finding out he fractured his wrist early and played in pain all year being misdiagnosed has me thinking what his numbers could be had he been healthy. I still like a lot of names at the top of the 2nd round but trading up from our 3rd to the bottom of the 2nd round if he’s there and a deal could be made would be a good move.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

No, for sure not.

It's amazing what efforts those scouts made to see him playing.

Mannheim does not even has an airport.

They had to take the train from Frankfurt  to get to Mannheim.

Haha...::D

84 scouts; that means 3 scouts from 28 teams.

How far train ride is Mannheim from Frankfurt. 

I've been to Frankfurt several times. Last time about 15 years ago. Used to travel thru there and stay for night or two.. Lufthansa hub city.

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Philippe Myers for me please. Send them Virtanen and Sutter -- he can be the third line centre to play behind Couturier and Patrick -- and we can take back MacDonald as a (one year) cap dump, in addition to the main prize that is Myers. 

It’s strange that kids grow. Sarcasm.....it’s funny tho that Podkolzin got shorter. I don’t think Podkolzin was in any of the top 10 in each event. While other Russians where strong in each event. I think his stock is really dropping outa top 10 or maybe even top 15 imo....just because he hasn’t done anything memorable of late...plus I don’t think his interviews would be very strong having to use an interpreter.

• Vasily Podkolzin: Listed 6-feet-1, 190 pounds. Actual 6-feet-0.75, 196 pounds.

I like Soderstrom.....unfortunately I like too many of the players this draft. ..Wish Canucks had more picks.

Edited by HockeyHarry

2 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

Philippe Myers for me please. Send them Virtanen and Sutter -- he can be the third line centre to play behind Couturier and Patrick -- and we can take back MacDonald as a (one year) cap dump, in addition to the main prize that is Myers. 

Myers is their only young right shot D and with how much they like him it's highly unlikely that he becomes available.  Philadelphia has some cap space this season.  

Philadelphia is looking for a C2 - not a C3.  They see Patrick playing C3.  Most teams have now 3 scoring lines.   

Edited by mll

3 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

How far train ride is Mannheim from Frankfurt. 

I've been to Frankfurt several times. Last time about 15 years ago. Used to travel thru there and stay for night or two.. Lufthansa hub city.

about 30-40 minutes with the fast train (ICE - intercity express).

9 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

I wish Canucks where up a few more spots. Just so JB gets the guy he wants, not the 3rd or 4th guy he wants. 

you are right, agree.

I recall that Jim inquired about moving up to 6th overall - the spot Detroit picks -.

It was part of an report published in the Province, written by Ben Kuzma.

Ken Holland wanted VAN's 2nd round pick.

Jim said that's too much.

To me it's pretty obvious: Canucks are high on a guy which most likely goes 5th / 6th overall.

Personally I doubt that this guy will fall to them.

What's the difference between this guy and the guy we probably get at #10.

- higher skill level.

- more NHL ready.

• Upvote 1

WHL Rocks,

your take on Jake Lee from the Seattle Thunderbirds?

Thanks,

At this point, there are five WHL defensemen who make a strong case to be taken in the top half of the 2019 NHL draft. There may be others along the way as the season moves into the second half, but let’s focus on these gents.

Bowen Byram (Vancouver Giants) 6’1 192lbs 

He began the 2018-19 season with 17 points (7g-10a) in 23 games with seven of those on the PP.

Why should my team draft him?

1. He’s such a versatile skater. He can walk a blueline easily or sneak back door.
  2. His power skating matched with his slapshot make him a force on the man-advantage. He can gain the zone, get the puck back on a one-timer, and make teams look silly.
  3. Due to his size and improvement defensively, his floor is quite high.

Why should a team leave him alone?

1. He does still have defensive lapses and misses coverages at times.
  2. His strides are powerful but his agility and acceleration could improve.

Jake Lee (Seattle Thunderbirds) 6’2 216lbs

He began the 2018-19 season with 15 points (1g 14a) in 20 games and since has seen his offensive deployment taken away. He currently sits with 19 points in 40 games. He was taken off the PP once other players came back from injury.

1. He’s sneaky good. His gap control, stick work, and edgework makes him the best defender in this draft class from the WHL.
  2. He’s described as a defensive-defenseman by some but there is a large potential for offensive output. He often makes a controlled pass to exit the zone but can certainly stroll with the puck.
  3. His skating is tremendous (except his backwards skating, which is ok). Strong acceleration and lateral movement mean even with mistakes, he’s back in position very fast.

Why should a team leave him alone?

1. He hasn’t been able to use his shot as much in the last while. Will need to continue to work on that side of things. At this moment, he prioritizes the defensive side but will have more opportunities to begin the rush moving forward.
  2. They shouldn’t. I imagine he will go higher than most anticipate and people will think “WHAT?? WHY??”

Matthew Robertson (Edmonton Oil Kings) 6’3.5 198lbs

He began the 2018-19 season with 14 points (3g-11a) in 20 games and currently sits with 21 points in 32 games.

1. He’s a powerful skater which means he can take the puck end-to-end on a rush or show his fluid motion through the zones.
  2. He has a strong hockey IQ especially when reading situations to jump in the rush or remain steady. This allows him to play in all situations on the ice.
  3. He is the best example of a pure two-way defenseman in this class.

Why should my team leave him alone?

1. Not sure about his ceiling based upon his skating agility. His strides are powerful which means it is tough to knock him off the puck but the negative impact is defending against agile forwards at the NHL level.
  2. He most likely won’t be the top PP quarterback at the NHL level. His passes are strong and crisp but his shot could use work too. Some teams target that type of upside in the first round.

Lassi Thomson (Kelowna Rockets) 6’0 187lbs

He began the 2018-19 season scoring 19 points (7g-12a) in 25 games with 10 of those coming on the PP. He is mostly utilized in offensive situations for Kelowna, allowing him to show off his creativity at high speed.

1. He is the most dynamic draft eligible defenseman from the WHL.
  2. He is a high volume shooter and loves to direct pucks to the net however he can.
  3. He has a high wind up slapper which can be a fantastic PP weapon.

Why should my team leave him alone?

1. High offensive upside. Low defensive awareness and positioning.
  2. His decision making can be suspect at times too. His creativity leads to turnovers based teammates not expecting poor passes.

Kaeden Korczak (Kelowna Rockets) 6’3 188lbs

He began the 2018-19 season with 14 points (2g-12a) in 25 games with only three of those being PP points. He currently sits with 19 points in 42 games.

1. He has such a strong sense of defensive awareness.
  2. His mobility allows him to be used in all situations.
  3. His situational reads are quite possibly his best quality.

Why should my team avoid him?

1. He has no truly elite skills besides his situational reads. This means that his upside could be limited due to needing strong improvement in most areas to make the NHL.
  2. His acceleration needs work which is a big part of adapting to the pro level.

And… if you want something to debate?

This is how I currently have them ranked:

1. Byram
  2. Lee
  3. Robertson
  4. Thompson
  5. Korczak

11 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I agree, but I guess it depends who he has at the top of his list? I was totally fooled in the 2017 Draft when he went with Pettersson. Even last year I was pretty sure we were getting Boqvist, Bouchard or Dobson. Luckily, Hughes fell into their lap. Hope that happens again. He might really like Cozens, for instance, due to him being born and raised in an environment (Yukon) where communities are tight-knit and the people have values and a certain character. Cozens may have overcome challenges and adversity the other top draft eligible haven't. I would love to get Cozens. Probably dreaming.

Hoping some teams ahead of the Canucks take unassuming players:

NJ - Kakko

NYR - Hughes

CHI - Byram

COL - Dach

LA - Turcotte

DET - Podkolzin

BUF - Zegras

EDM - Broberg

ANA - Boldy

VAN - Cozens!

just a Q - Does anyone see any similarity between Vilardi and Boldy? 

sounds like a very solid ranking to me.

pretty sure Yzerman not being afraid selecting a player like Podkolzin who comes with some question marks.

assume that BUF is going after Boldy

assume that ANA is going after Zegras

EDM - Broberg, can see this also

no, can't see a similarity between Vilardi and Boldy.

Vilardi was a consensus top 5 pick ahead of the draft and dropped on draft day outside the top 10.

Boldy  is a consensus top 10 pick and will be selected top 10, for sure.

Edited by Wolfgang Durst

7 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

He should easily be the 2nd D off the board, and should be a top 10 guy.

I know that he's viewed that way by many teams.

found this on Moritz Seider - HF Boards.

33 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

sounds like a very solid ranking to me.

pretty sure Shanahan not being afraid selecting a player like Podkolzin who comes with some question marks.

assume that BUF is going after Boldy

assume that ANA is going after Zegras

EDM - Broberg, can see this also

no, can't see a similarity between Vilardi and Boldy.

Vilardi was a consensus top 5 pick ahead of the draft and dropped on draft day outside the top 10.

Boldy  is a consensus top 10 pick and will be selected top 10, for sure.

You might be thinking Yzerman. Unless you have inside info on Toronto and Detroit making a draft day deal.

• Cole Caufield: Listed 5-feet-7, 163 pounds. Actual 5-feet-7.25, 163 pounds.
  • Judd Caulfield: Listed 6-feet-3, 207 pounds. Actual 6-feet-3.5, 205 pounds.

I'm guessing their not related lol.

EDIT: Nvm just realized not exactly spelled the same, but the difference it pretty subtle lol.

Edited by timberz21