The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

I don't see any deficiencies in Boldy's game, like he's an incredibly talented winger... but boy, do I wish he had that head-turning skating. His skating is good, but not great. He's not going to be exploding down the ice leaving guys in the dust... then again I wished Ehlers was a bit bigger in his draft year. If he showed consistent speed and explosiveness, I think Boldy could go top 5.

The question is that kind of skating teachable? Especially if he hasn't been doing it his whole life, it becomes kind of a mental re-framing if he is able to gain that speed...

Ah, I hate my mind sometimes.   

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Odd. said:

Hughes, Kakko, Byram, and maybe Cozens are the only ones that are likely going to be in the NHL next fall. The rest will need to develop, it's just how the draft works. 

If we fall enough in the standings which I really hope we do, we have a shot at one of these 4. I really hope we get one of em. Especially Byram. This guy is absolutely dominating the WHL as a 17 year old defenseman.

Though so many Eastern teams are so atrocious, it's nearly impossible to fall below them/

He's so impressive. I keep thinking he's the next Morgan Rielly.

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

He's so impressive. I keep thinking he's the next Morgan Rielly.

In my viewings of him, he plays similar to Mark Giordano.

When you watch Byram, he doesn't wow ya the same way Quinn Hughes does for example. His poise is something I haven't seen from a young defenseman since Aaron Ekblad. 

I compare him to Giordano because like Giordano, Byram has a feisty side to his game. He doesn't back down, he plays with a lot of pushback (something we desperately lack in the back-end). He's almost Bieksa like in the sense that he's actively going out and willing to go through the extra mile for his teammates, I can't exactly explain it.

It's like he has this 'Ok, i'm taking you all under my wings, watch and learn' kind of vibe to him. I'll get flack for this, but Byram IMO deserves to be in the lottery pick contention alongside Hughes and Kakko. 

What also makes this pick more enticing is the fact that he's a BC native, most likely grew up watching the Canucks, If all the cards play right, selecting a hometown kid who's likely gonna be our franchise defenseman is just the thing this organzation needs and it would make all the pain and suffering of having to watch the likes of Pouliot, Weber, and other wack defensemans to play for our team in the last decade worth it.

Edited by Odd.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Odd. said:

When you watch Byram, he doesn't wow ya the same way Quinn Hughes does for example. His poise is something I haven't seen from a young defenseman since Aaron Ekblad. 

I compare him to Giordano because like Giordano, Byram has a feisty side to his game. He doesn't back down, he plays with a lot of pushback (something we desperately lack in the back-end). He's almost Bieksa like in the sense that he's actively going out and willing to do the extra mile for his teammates, I can't exactly explain it.

It's like he has this 'Ok, i'm taking you all under my wings, watch and learn' kind of vibe to him. I'll get flack for this, but Byram IMO deserves to be in the lottery pick contention alongside Hughes and Kakko. 

What also makes this pick more enticing is the fact that he's a Vancouver native, most likely grew up watching the Canucks, If all the cards play right, selecting a hometown kid who's likely gonna be our franchise defenseman is just the thing this organzation needs and it would make all the pain and suffering of having to watch the likes of Pouliot, Weber, and other wack defensemans to play for our team in the last decade worth it.

I'm with you on him being a lottery pick. I keep flip flopping him & Dach at #3. To me Byram is easily a top 5 pick. 

I think I get what you mean. They ended up losing Saturday night, but when the game was close Byram kept trying to rush the puck or sneak in from the line to get his team back in it. He just had that vibe like he wanted to make a big play for his team.

He's got something alright. He's the kind of defenseman we really need.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I compare him to Giordano because like Giordano, Byram has a feisty side to his game. He doesn't back down, he plays with a lot of pushback (something we desperately lack in the back-end). He's almost Bieksa like in the sense that he's actively going out and willing to go through the extra mile for his teammates, I can't exactly explain it.

What also makes this pick more enticing is the fact that he's a BC native, most likely grew up watching the Canucks, If all the cards play right, selecting a hometown kid who's likely gonna be our franchise defenseman is just the thing this organzation needs and it would make all the pain and suffering of having to watch the likes of Pouliot, Weber, and other wack defensemans to play for our team in the last decade worth it.

A smaller Pronger.

The poise and ability to control the pace of the game is extremely rare. Really hope we push for him haha.

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I'm with you on him being a lottery pick. I keep flip flopping him & Dach at #3. To me Byram is easily a top 5 pick. 

I think I get what you mean. They ended up losing Saturday night, but when the game was close Byram kept trying to rush the puck or sneak in from the line to get his team back in it. He just had that vibe like he wanted to make a big play for his team.

He's got something alright. He's the kind of defenseman we really need.

Duncan Keith also comes to mind, though I hate using him as a comparable because he's a gutless puke but Keith also has that where back in his prime if he really wanted to do he could absolutely take control of the game

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, stawns said:

I'd like to see him go heavy on players in Europe........ones that have no ties to the CHL.  For me, all things being equal, I would always pick a Euro over a CHL player.

please elaborate. guessing because you can play them in the A??? 

Somewhere Don Cherry is playing phantom of the opera on his desk.

How many games have the Canucks been shut out this season?  All Caufield does is score goals.  Scoring goals is a rare skill that I believe is highly valuable. Regardless of size his skill will translate.  I’d say high 1st line scoring winger potential and very low bust potential.  If we whiff on the draft lottery again.  He is my pick at #8-9. 

If if we win the lottery of course we will draft 

Hughes 

kakko

byrum

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I wonder what it would take for a team at 4 or 5 to trade picks with us so we could get Byram. 

I think the only we get Byram is if we win the lottery picks. Virtually 0 chance any team trades the first 3 picks.

Say we finish 8th, asking price is most likely the 8th overall pick, Olli Juolevi, and a couple of picks. I wouldn't mind moving Juolevi if it means we have a shot at drafting Byram, though can't guarantee he makes it past the 3rd pick.

In other words, it's lottery or bust. We ain't 'catching' up to those crappy eastern teams in the standings.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Like I said, if I'm looking at a kid playing for the Rockets and a kid playing in Liiga.......both kids are about equal, I would choose the Euro because they can have as much control over their development as they choose.  For the kid playing in Kelowna, the only control they have, for 2 seasons, is if he can play in the NHL.

17 minutes ago, stawns said:

Like I said, if I'm looking at a kid playing for the Rockets and a kid playing in Liiga.......both kids are about equal, I would choose the Euro because they can have as much control over their development as they choose.  For the kid playing in Kelowna, the only control they have, for 2 seasons, is if he can play in the NHL.

You realise no 2 kids are equal right? 

So the AHL thingy ya it sucks. But the vast majority of euro youth drafted stay in Europe and dont immediately jump into the A and I would like to see some evidence that 18yeatolds mature better in the AHL than they do playing in the CHL. I'm curious who produced more NHLers in the last decade Utica or the Kelowna Rockets?

Edited London Knights to Kelowna Rockets since you chose them for your example.

Edited by hammertime

4 minutes ago, hammertime said:

So the AHL thingy ya it sucks. But the vast majority of euro youth drafted stay in Europe and dont immediately jump into the A and I would like to see some evidence that 18yeatolds mature better in the AHL than they do playing in the CHL. I'm curious who produced more NHLers in the last decade Utica or the London Knights?

In the case of Juolevi he has tried London Knights in CHL, The Finnish league and Utica in the AHL.  I wonder which league has been best for his development?

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Kirby Dach playoff highlights, as Saskatoon sweeps Moose Jaw.

For all the flack Dach gets about his skating by scouts. He sure blew by Woo in the first clip. :ph34r:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, hammertime said:

They have that option, absolutely, and if they stay I Europe they're playing pro against men, instead of against kids.

9 hours ago, hammertime said:

So the AHL thingy ya it sucks. But the vast majority of euro youth drafted stay in Europe and dont immediately jump into the A and I would like to see some evidence that 18yeatolds mature better in the AHL than they do playing in the CHL. I'm curious who produced more NHLers in the last decade Utica or the Kelowna Rockets?

Edited London Knights to Kelowna Rockets since you chose them for your example.

I didn't say they were alike, I said equal.......they might have different skills, but ranked equally.