The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

3 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

If the Canucks some how manage to get Byram then they should trade joulevi for a forward. Package him with whatever else you need to to get a winger for bo

If that was to happen. I would look at teams like Montreal, St.Louis, LA, Winnipeg, Minny. 

Just off the top of my head players I would inquire about - some of these would take a package including Olli to get. 

1. Gallagher (potential hab for life tho)

2. Tarasenko  (Blues probably not in the mindset of a rebuild yet tho) He would take this team to another stratosphere. 

3. Toffoli - unusual year for him - usually good for 20-25 goals 45 points. Only one year left on his deal, So probably not a good option. 

4. Ehlers - Winnipeg is in cap hell this summer. Connor and Laine are going to get monster deals. Wheelers will kick in next year. 6 mill per for until 2025. Could be a decent option. 

5. Maybe Greenway - I have liked his game this year, but not sure of I would be willing to part with Olli for that. 

• Haha 1

Looking into this draft a lot lately and having some mixed feelings about all of the usntdp program players being ranked so highly. Not taking shots at the program itself, i realize its doing great things for American hockey and is churning out star players like gangbusters. My only concern this year is that with all the talent this year i feel like some of these players are driving the play and some others are benefitting from that. Not sure if anyone else shares these concerns, with the Canucks likely drafting between 8-12 it seems very likely to me that we could be drafting one of these guys.  

Just ran a lottery sim and we ended up 9th (actually the first time I ran it we moved to 2nd pick but i figured thats too easy). Looking for some feedback from you guys if the draft goes as follows. Please dont take shots at the draft order, Im just throwing out a hypothetical scenario

1. Hughes

2. Kakko

3. Podkolzin

4. Byram

5. Cozens

6. Turcotte

7. Zegras

8. Dach

Basically I think we would be looking at Krebs or Boldy... Could be wrong on that, I like a lot about Krebs game but the -50 is painful to look at, and with Boldy i have some concerns about him riding shotgun with some elite talent. Let me know what you guys think.

Canucks will almost certainly finish 5 to 10 from the bottom.  The most likely spots are 8 or 9.

That means the most likely scenario has them staying put or dropping one spot and therefore drafting 8, 9 or 10.

Most likely gives them a 5 or 6% chance of getting 1st overall and a 16 to 19% chance at picking top 3.

By default that's about an 81% chance of drafting 8, 9 or 10.

• Thanks 1

Craig Buttons March 25th list

its on tsn with more information and up to pick 100 I had difficulties copying from my phone

1Jack HughesUSA NTDP (USHL)

2Kaapo KakkoTurku (SM Liiga)C/RW6'2 

3Vasili PodkolzinSt. Petersburg (MHL)

4Trevor ZegrasUSA NTDP (USHL)C6'01

5Bowen ByramVancouver (WHL)D6'0 ½

6Dylan CozensLethbridge (WHL)C6'3

7Matthew BoldyUSA NTDP (USHL)LW6'1 ½

8Alex TurcotteUSA NTDP (USHL)C5'11

9Arthur KaliyevHamilton (OHL)RW6'1 ¼

10Cole CaufieldUSA NTDP (USHL)RW5'6 ¾

11Philip BrobergAIK (SWE-A

12Ilya NikolaevYaroslavl (MHL)C6'01

13Spencer KnightUSA NTDP (USHL)G6'2 ½

14Jakob PelletierMoncton (QMJHL)C/LW5'9

15Kirby DachSaskatoon (WHL)C/RW6'3 

16Thomas HarleyMississauga (OHL)D6'3

17Peyton KrebsKootenay (WHL)C5'11 ¼

18Raphael LavoieHalifax (QMJHL)LW/RW6'3 ½

19Cam YorkUSA NTDP (USHL)D5'11 ¼

20Victor SoderstromBrynas (SWE J20)D5'11

21Bobby BrinkSioux City (USHL)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

its on tsn with more information and up to pick 100 I had difficulties copying from my phone

Krebs at 17 would be a steal for anyone 

10 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

There has been some serious overlooking of Ville Heinola, his numbers are better than Miro H. in his draft year and was really good at the WJC. Anyone know of any glaring weaknesses in his game, as he has looked solid in Finland's top league?

For comparison Heinola has 0.41 pts/game in Liiga in draft year

Joulevi had 0.50 pts/game in Liiga in draft +2 year

I brought up Heinola and Kokkonen a while back too. If the draft was based purely on stats, they would both be surefire top 10 picks. Neither are particularly small (Kokkonen is pretty solid already at around 190lbs) and I'm not really sure if there are any glaring weaknesses. Everybody was happy when Juolevi was playing in a men's league in his draft +2 year; these guys are doing it in their draft years and putting up better numbers. 

I want Byram & Lassi Thomson. Sign Panarin for 9.5 mill per over 6-7 years. Find a suitor for Loui & Sutter. Trade Juolevi + for a right D. Re-sign Eddy to a two year deal. Sign Boeser long term 7 million per. Sign Marky to a 2 year extension 5 million per. 

Panarin - Petey - Boeser 

Sven - Bo - Leivo or Virtanen 

Pearson - Gaudette - Virtanen or Leivo

Roussel - Beagle - Motte 

Ex. Spooner? 

Eddy - Tanev 

Hughes - New right D or Stech 

Hutton or Byram - New Right D or Stech 

Ex. Biega, Sautner 

Marky 

Demko

Potential trade chips this offseason: 

Hutton - if eddy comes back and Byram is selected. 

Players who wont be back. Granny, Goldy, Pouliot. 

Players we might look moving if we have another sub par year, if these moves happen. Tanev. Sven. 

Please Benning make bold moves!! Enough pussy footing. 

In the pipeline if it goes according to plan ;)

Byram - if doesnt make the team. 

Woo

Thomson

Madden 

MacEwen 

Brisebois

Tryamkin

Lind 

Gadjovich 

Rathbone

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Deathrowe said:

Looking into this draft a lot lately and having some mixed feelings about all of the usntdp program players being ranked so highly. Not taking shots at the program itself, i realize its doing great things for American hockey and is churning out star players like gangbusters. My only concern this year is that with all the talent this year i feel like some of these players are driving the play and some others are benefitting from that. Not sure if anyone else shares these concerns, with the Canucks likely drafting between 8-12 it seems very likely to me that we could be drafting one of these guys.  

Just ran a lottery sim and we ended up 9th (actually the first time I ran it we moved to 2nd pick but i figured thats too easy). Looking for some feedback from you guys if the draft goes as follows. Please dont take shots at the draft order, Im just throwing out a hypothetical scenario

1. Hughes

2. Kakko

3. Podkolzin

4. Byram

5. Cozens

6. Turcotte

7. Zegras

8. Dach

Basically I think we would be looking at Krebs or Boldy... Could be wrong on that, I like a lot about Krebs game but the -50 is painful to look at, and with Boldy i have some concerns about him riding shotgun with some elite talent. Let me know what you guys think.

This is pretty much how I see it too.  At least 1-6 as Boldy, Zegras, Dach are all close after that

4 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

I like him, as long as he doesn't have Salo's injury ability haha

He'd have to fall to our second round pick but IM sure the Canucks are well aware of him 

Personally I wouldn't take him until the late 2nd - early 3rd round. I am not a huge fan of drafting D-men who have an early birthday unless they have already shown something super special in their draft year (ie. Quinn Hughes, Evan Bouchard). . I can't comment on his defensive skills but his numbers don't particularly stand out for an offensive D-man. I've done the research in past years and D-men who are drafted with an early birthday (September, October, November, December birthdays) have a huge statistical disadvantage of making it to the NHL. Rather go with a D-man that has a June, July, August birthday who maybe hasn't shown as much offense yet but could have a huge bump in their D+1 year. (aka Jett Woo).

16 minutes ago, TGokou said:

Personally I wouldn't take him until the late 2nd - early 3rd round. I am not a huge fan of drafting D-men who have an early birthday unless they have already shown something super special in their draft year (ie. Quinn Hughes, Evan Bouchard). . I can't comment on his defensive skills but his numbers don't particularly stand out for an offensive D-man. I've done the research in past years and D-men who are drafted with an early birthday (September, October, November, December birthdays) have a huge statistical disadvantage of making it to the NHL. Rather go with a D-man that has a June, July, August birthday who maybe hasn't shown as much offense yet but could have a huge bump in their D+1 year. (aka Jett Woo).

Im not sure I understand. Lassi doesn't have an early birthday. Otherwise he would have been eligible for last year's draft in which he missed the deadline by being born a couple days later.

Kelowna has had a dreadful season, one of the lowest scoring teams in the entire CHL. His point totals will seem misleading. 41pts (17 goals), Top 5 in rookie scoring as a d-man while adjusting to NA, and despite playing a lot of minutes is a positive plus-minus player. 

Also Thomson is a projected mid-first round pick. I doubt he even makes it to the 2nd round and if he does it wont be long before he is taken. 

Edited by Odd.
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, TGokou said:

Hmmm can't agree with this. He's not dropping to third, that's for sure. Kelowna ain't a great team but he did great. Numbers aren't everything.

14 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I'm here boys and girls. It's time to join the annual draft thread lol. Took me 78 pages to get engaged. Good on the guys for giving us something to watch. Let's see who we get in that 5-12 range. I shall be catching up on the thread now lol. See you in 2 weeks haha. 78 pages..hmmm 

oh yea man, the party can finally get started.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Odd. said:

Im not sure I understand. Lassi doesn't have an early birthday. Otherwise he would have been eligible for last year's draft in which he missed the deadline by being born a couple days later.

Early relative to his draft-eligible peers. He missed last year’s draft by 9 days. He could be almost a full year older than some of the other first-time draft eligibles. 

9 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Button said that Zegras reminds him of Pettersson.

Zegras does seem like a Tyler Madden or Pettersson type that could take his game to the next level with adding some more muscle. At 168 lbs he also leads the USDP with 80 penalty minutes, which makes me believe he is willing to get his hands dirty and battle. 

14 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Isn't it Buttons that projects players future NHL projections and not actual draft order?....Hmmm, maybe it's Prongman?