The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

8 minutes ago, canucklehead80 said:

I’ve seen him play 3x this year. Every time I’ve been more impressed. Have seen almost nothing of the other top guys, but I sure hope Bryan somehow lands in our lap.

We'd have to lose most of our remaining games for that too happen

34 minutes ago, canucklehead80 said:

Are there many draft eligible players this year that are thought to be NHL ready by  the pro pundits? Not including Hughes or Kakko.

29 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I can definitely see Byram making the NHL next season. Doubt anyone else is.

Cozens is another guy Ive heard that could conceivably make the jump but quite unlikely. Byram would be great but in a way it would screw us. Cant have two rookie LD at the same time, trying to play both would hurt their development.

Just give us Kakko hockey gods.... We have been eternally patient and you've screwed us the last few years with the draft lottery... When can we win something for once....

Hockey gods being Bettman and his corrupt cronies 

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Considering players like Dach, Zegras and Turcotte are Cs, would they become 3rd line Cs on the Canucks? They've already got Gaudette (and Madden, Karlsson). Or would these players play wing? 

Can never have enough good Cs. It would would be a nice problem to have and they'd play on the wings. Also can use them to take faceoffs too.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Considering players like Dach, Zegras and Turcotte are Cs, would they become 3rd line Cs on the Canucks? They've already got Gaudette (and Madden, Karlsson). Or would these players play wing? 

Centers can shift over to the wing. Some better than others but it’s not uncommon. I remember the flyers years back had like 8 centers on the roster. Giroux, Briere, Carter and Richards were all centers and all in the top 6.

If we somehow end up drafting 9th-10th I feel we would still be getting a really good player. The thing I like about this draft is that I don't see as clear cut of a development path for a lot of these players. I feel any player from 3-12 has the potential to be 3rd-4th best player in the draft with a huge upside and that's what makes this draft somewhat more intriguing than others. Personally my guy in the 3rd-7th range would be Byram but of the forwards I feel they can be interchangeable depending on need. 

2 hours ago, 112 said:

He's hard to evaluate, but I think Podkolzin is much better than people are giving him credit for. I would be thrilled if we left the draft with him.

one of those draft bloggers said. when he brings it, he is electrifying but when he doesn’t, he is pretty ordinary. he could be wrong. i still love cozens but we’ll probably be picking from 8th to 12th. we are probably looking at zegras, soderstrom or broberg.

i’m sure we’ll get a good nhl’er, maybe not a great one.

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

one of those draft bloggers said. when he brings it, he is electrifying but when he doesn’t, he is pretty ordinary. he could be wrong. i still love cozens but we’ll probably be picking from 8th to 12th. we are probably looking at zegras, soderstrom or broberg.

i’m sure we’ll get a good nhl’er, maybe not a great one.

As a huge fan of the draft, especially when we have a top 15/20 pick, I take all the bloggers and social media commentators with a truck load of salt. The top 20 lists for this year have 6/7 players that I have actually seen ( in very small samples ). I doubt these bloggers have seen 75% of the players on their lists. You tube and 2nd/3rd hand reviews is probably where they get their info. Dangerous sources.

In 2013 I got excited about signing Dane Fox. Great numbers. Watched a whole bunch of video of him. Thought we had a future 30+ goal scorer. Didn't make it out of the ECHL and at age 25 has less than exciting numbers in Germany. Hi-lite packages are no way to judge a player. I have my own 'list' of wants and don't wants, but always am aware that I know nothing ( less than nothing ). My big thought about our pick this year..........no Russians !

• Upvote 1

I'm here boys and girls. It's time to join the annual draft thread lol. Took me 78 pages to get engaged. Good on the guys for giving us something to watch. Let's see who we get in that 5-12 range. I shall be catching up on the thread now lol. See you in 2 weeks haha. 78 pages..hmmm 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

As a huge fan of the draft, especially when we have a top 15/20 pick, I take all the bloggers and social media commentators with a truck load of salt. The top 20 lists for this year have 6/7 players that I have actually seen ( in very small samples ). I doubt these bloggers have seen 75% of the players on their lists. You tube and 2nd/3rd hand reviews is probably where they get their info. Dangerous sources.

In 2013 I got excited about signing Dane Fox. Great numbers. Watched a whole bunch of video of him. Thought we had a future 30+ goal scorer. Didn't make it out of the ECHL and at age 25 has less than exciting numbers in Germany. Hi-lite packages are no way to judge a player. I have my own 'list' of wants and don't wants, but always am aware that I know nothing ( less than nothing ). My big thought about our pick this year..........no Russians !

i was looking at an old draft book. yakipov’s draft year. he was claimed by all to be a sure fire #1 pick. 

I’m officially a huge Turcotte supporter.

His game is so darn complete, but his puck skills are still so high and skating is elite.

He strikes me as foolproof, almost like another Brayden Point.

For the Nucks, I like:

1. Kakko

2. Byram

3. Turcotte

4. Hughes

But of course if we’re in a position to take Hughes, we will... cuz brotherz

• Wat 1

19 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i was looking at an old draft book. yakipov’s draft year. he was claimed by all to be a sure fire #1 pick. 

Indeed, although 2012 was a very weak draft and there were quite a few misses that year. The Russian factor that concerns me is per our 2002 draft. Our top two picks had one player go home and one player never ( I believe ) show up at a training camp, plus a later pick who never showed up. I get the impression that for a number of Russians, playing in Canada, as opposed to USA, is not their first choice. ( Bure. Nedved, an honourary Russian ). Chubarov, who I loved, left and that has never been explained. There are other, lesser players, who have opted out. Federov, Shirokov and possibly others.

As far as Podkolzin goes, he didn't choose to leave Russia for his draft year, which means nothing, but if he had, it would alleviate some of the Russian concerns that people, like me, have.

If there's one player I don't want us drafting It's Kirby Dach for several reasons.

1. He had a really crazy start to the season and then had one of the worst pointless stretches. 

2. Lots of concerns about consistency.

3. 6'4 200lbs but plays a small game

IMO his ceiling is like Brian Boyle or Nick Bjugstad. I feel like there's other players around with higher upsides and ceilings. I wouldn't draft him over Turcotte, Podkolzin, Cozens, or Boldy.

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

If there's one player I don't want us drafting It's Kirby Dach for several reasons.

1. He had a really crazy start to the season and then had one of the worst pointless stretches. 

2. Lots of concerns about consistency.

3. 6'4 200lbs but plays a small game

IMO his ceiling is like Brian Boyle or Nick Bjugstad. I feel like there's other players around with higher upsides and ceilings. I wouldn't draft him over Turcotte, Podkolzin, Cozens, or Boldy.

His skill level is a lot higher than both Brian Boyle or Nick Bjugstad. Plays a different game than those two, more of a playmaker. I see him more as a Wheeler type if he continues to develop nicely. 

There has been some serious overlooking of Ville Heinola, his numbers are better than Miro H. in his draft year and was really good at the WJC. Anyone know of any glaring weaknesses in his game, as he has looked solid in Finland's top league?

For comparison Heinola has 0.41 pts/game in Liiga in draft year

Joulevi had 0.50 pts/game in Liiga in draft +2 year

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

..........no Russians !

This is the only reason Podkolzin concerns me. From what I've read, he's a complete player, strong on the puck, fierce competitor. But the Canucks have had little luck with Russians. Remember Shirokov? lol I thought he would become our next superstar. Then they drafted Zhukenov, I thought he would join the team soon. Tryamkin felt entitled and left, Goldobin has been underwhelming and rarely provides full effort. 

Assuming the Canucks don't get the #1 and Benning doesn't go after a C:

Kakko

Cozens

Krebs

Byram

Boldy