The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

4 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Are those guys all available? I'm not sure that they're all available. Cal for sure...Czarnik, Appleton, Petan and Agostino. There's a ton of pro experience and scoring in that group.

Czarnik, Petan or Peca. I'm sure we will be able to sign one of those guys.

8 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Czarnik, Petan or Peca. I'm sure we will be able to sign one of those guys.

Petan is a local guy who played with Baertschi, Pouliot, and Leipsic and was coached by Green.

I could see the Portland Winterhawk connection hooking up again. He would be a great first line winger or center for Utica and would probably get a couple call ups.

Man it doesn't even seem like that long ago that TSN was hyping this guy up as a future star at the World Juniors. That's why I never take world junior performances too seriously.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Thanks for posting this.

I'm curious if Elias P could start the season in the AHL with Dahlen?

I believe it's either the NHL or Michigan for Hughes?

Is Manukyan eligible for the "A" he's 20 bring the sprite over?

You're welcome! All three are eligible to play in the AHL. I'd be stunned if Pettersson doesn't make the Canucks out of camp though. Hughes probably the most likely (and still unlikely in my books) as if he turns pro, there's still a logjam on defense in front of him on the big club so he could possibly see some AHL time. Manukyan has a KHL contract for a couple more years, they'll probably let him cook there for a bit and see if he's worth bringing over a little ways down the road.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Petan is a local guy who played with Baertschi, Pouliot, and Leipsic and was coached by Green.

I could see the Portland Winterhawk connection hooking up again. He would be a great first line winger or center for Utica and would probably get a couple call ups.

Man it doesn't even seem like that long ago that TSN was hyping this guy up as a future star at the World Juniors. That's why I never take world junior performances too seriously.

image.png.6905af1bd93b21f731b7d3e88d331d5e.png

On 6/25/2018 at 10:34 AM, UticaHockey said:

At this point my assumption is Kero will start the season as the #2 C and Darcy the #3 C.  I believe Motte will start the season in Utica because the Canucks managed his games at the end of last season to leave him one game short of requiring waivers to be sent down.  The fact that Motte will initially be waiver exempt out of training camp makes me believe he will start out in Utica.  Motte can play center but looks better on the wing.  With all of the hype that was put on Gaudette last year I don't see him being sent to Utica.

Do you think there is a chance that Canucks management will want Trent Cull to revert MacEwen back to centre where he played in junior, or does it look more like MacEwen will be a winger? 

Also any word if Utica is interested in bringing back veteran Wacey Hamilton?

55 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Do you think there is a chance that Canucks management will want Trent Cull to revert MacEwen back to centre where he played in junior, or does it look more like MacEwen will be a winger? 

Also any word if Utica is interested in bringing back veteran Wacey Hamilton?

I listened to a couple of interviews with Cull at the end of the season and my takeaway was that MacEwen will be tried at center, at the very least in preseason. 

And I really hope that Hamilton doesn't get resigned. Haven't heard anything suggesting they would. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

Looking at the prospect camp rosters....what would you guys think about Tyler Soy or Adam Rockwood for Utica?

I'd definitely look at Tyler Soy or someone who stands out at development camp and is still looking to continue their pro hockey dream. The reality of the salary cap era is that these guys will likely never reach the NHL, but they can still contribute to a minor league team. They are beneficial to teams that are looking for depth and they aren't a hindrance to the pro games played veteran rules of the AHL. Ryan Johnson will be looking closely at these guys coming out of camp and it's likely a part of who they have invited. 

I know Tyler Soy (aka sauce) was a workhorse for Victoria Royals the last few years.  Often played with other centers on the team due to a glut of them but mostly it was a Soy/Phillip's duo that played a center/wing hybrid between them with the two being aggressive puck movers.  I am unsure if he has developed enough to play in the AHL with Dahlen but I can see their games being complementary in the same way.  

On 6/27/2018 at 12:22 PM, theo5789 said:

Another interesting option for C at the AHL level that could be good enough for call ups is Brandon Pirri. We have been interested in him before, so maybe he might get a look.

I like Pirri. Could be another Boucher type, someone who can pile up goals at the AHL level and has enough skill to chip in a few in the NHL if we hit some injuries.

why do these Beagle and Schaller signings make me think that Utica's top line looks like

Dahlen Gaudette Boucher 

and still leaves Jasek, Lind, MacEwen, Darcy, D'oust, Carcone, Palmu, Motte and Gadjovich for young forwards.  No vets in that 12.   

Edited by TGT68

35 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

why do these Beagle and Schaller signings make me think that Utica's top line looks like

Dahlen Gaudette Boucher 

and still leaves Jasek, Lind, MacEwen, Darcy, D'oust, Carcone, Palmu, Motte and Gadjovich for young forwards.  No vets in that 12.   

These signings look fantastic for Utica..  and the Canucks..    there has been so much depth, stability, and potential created by these intelligent moves.

We can even embrace the expansion draft for Seattle with open arms.  Yes, lots of hockey until then, but for the franchise’s and affiliates i personally see a strong year ahead, and a footprint being created for proper “development to potential” for younger players acquired, and young vets caught in bad programs.

Here’s hoping L Eriksson has a great year and is picked by Seattle, and Tryamkin returns!

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

These signings look fantastic for Utica..  and the Canucks..    there has been so much depth, stability, and potential created by these intelligent moves.

We can even embrace the expansion draft for Seattle with open arms.  Yes, lots of hockey until then, but for the franchise’s and affiliates i personally see a strong year ahead, and a footprint being created for proper “development to potential” for younger players acquired, and young vets caught in bad programs.

Here’s hoping L Eriksson has a great year and is picked by Seattle, and Tryamkin returns!

I don't understand the expansion draft angle that people bring up. It doesn't matter that we have two more exposable guys if other players are more appealing. Unless people think that Seattle would rather select Beagle or Roussel in two years over whichever of our younger prospects meet selection criteria by then that we don't have space to protect

44 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I don't understand the expansion draft angle that people bring up. It doesn't matter that we have two more exposable guys if other players are more appealing. Unless people think that Seattle would rather select Beagle or Roussel in two years over whichever of our younger prospects meet selection criteria by then that we don't have space to protect

yeah, cause a year in Utica counts the same as an NHL year for expansion exposure.  

Edited by TGT68

4 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Isnt the Expansion Draft at the end of this season?  .. leaves mor younger player, prospects protected?  Or am i getting s9mething wrong?

7 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Isnt the Expansion Draft at the end of this season?  .. leaves mor younger player, prospects protected?  Or am i getting s9mething wrong?

I don't think the expansion draft has been scheduled yet. And if the rules stay the same as the Vegas draft then 2 years of AHL experience for Lind, Gadj, Dahlen, etc will still leave them able to be selected. So unless the draft is after this season, which I don't think it is because we'd know already, we can't protect everybody in 2 years. 

1 minute ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I don't think the expansion draft has been scheduled yet. And if the rules stay the same as the Vegas draft then 2 years of AHL experience for Lind, Gadj, Dahlen, etc will still leave them able to be selected. So unless the draft is after this season, which I don't think it is because we'd know already, we can't protect everybody in 2 years. 

Regardless ,  i think these are great moves by JB,  this should installa level of grit and determination throughout the line up, something we have missed.. and our younger player/prospects need exposure to.

Have to think today's moves make it more likely that Gaudette plays in Utica to start... being one of the few players up front who doesn't require waivers might be the deciding factor in camp. If the Canucks roll with something like Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser, Pettersson-Sutter-Gagner, Eriksson-Beagle-Virtanen, Roussel-Schaller-Granlund, Goldobin/Leipsic, then that leaves Utica with possibly Gaudette, Gaunce, and Archibald, which would change the landscape quite a bit. I still think there has to be a move or two made before the season starts to alleviate the logjam there but we could see two things... a more competitive Comets team, but less ice time for the newcomers.

Boucher-Kero-Motte

Gaunce-Gaudette-MacEwen

Dahlen-Darcy-Jasek

Archibald-Bancks-Lind

(Carcone/Gadjovich/Palmu/MacMaster)

Lines are somewhat random, mostly just to showcase how the current depth chart could squeeze a few prospects into the press box to start the season; you can swap out whoever you want for Gadjovich, Palmu or MacMaster but the end result is that a few players will be watching from the sidelines at first. Injuries and call-ups are inevitable, of course. And this is all predicated on the Canucks keeping 14 forwards which is unlikely; I just can't see Leipsic or Goldobin being waived though, as unlike Gaunce or Archibald (who are maybes) either one of those two would get claimed for sure. So something has to give.

8 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

No, it doesn't. If the expansion draft happens in 2020 as it is expected to, then we have nothing to worry about. Two years doesn't make guys eligible. Two years or less means they are exempt. It is no different than what we went through last year with Vegas.